Hey,

Does anyone out there have a Laney Lv200?

I've just got one and I'm concerned that there could be something wrong with it.
When I have the overdrive channels with a high gain 7 or over there is a quite distinctive buzzing in the background and a crackle and if I was to boost the gain entirely then its even more noticeable.

Obviously gain will add that which at first I accepted. But now if I was to lower the gain on the amp and say turn on my Satchurator there is a really really loud almost swishing noise in the background. Lowering the gain on the amp further doesn't make any impact to the amp.
On my old Amp I never had this sort of problem (although admittedly I have gone from a 30 watt to a 65)

I got new cables with it as well seeing as though I was pushing the boat and they seem fine to me.
I'm really not sure how much noise it would normally make but I'm concerned the amps maybe been dropped or something or battered while being shipped and something's not right.

There's not music shops for some distance around here so I can't take it to be checked.

What do you all think?
Last edited by rev_olie at Jun 17, 2010,
turn the gain down
what guitar do you have (pups)
try a different outlet
is this a new problem
is this a tube amp
try a different guitar in your amp
subtract florescent lights, computers, cell phones, microwaves, pc monitors
make sure everything is grounded
stuff like that
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
turn the gain down
what guitar do you have (pups)
try a different outlet
is this a new problem
is this a tube amp
try a different guitar in your amp
subtract florescent lights, computers, cell phones, microwaves, pc monitors
make sure everything is grounded
stuff like that

Cool thanks for that.

I tried what you said and seems the problem must be the amp.
I can't remember the precise name but its not entirely tube, It has one I think on each overdrive channel.

I use a PRS Santana 2 mostly and now tried a Peavey Raptor with the same results.
The amp currently is in a bare room (i.e no other electrical equipment).

As for checking its grounded well that's something to do, but I've not had any shocks etc. There's a circuit diagram in the manual so will check that later.

Think I'm going to have to return this one
Hybrid!
Thats the one

Yeah made use of 2 AX7's for each overdrive channlel respectivley.

As I've just bought it they are coming to collect it and take a look, so hopefully its not just me

Thanks for the advice!
well before they collect it, IF you have a power conditioner strip plug it into that just to test. i live in a 60+ year olde house and the electricity is rather strange, so i have to always plug into a power conditioner first otherwise any amp i use gets alot of buzz.
^good point

meaning even if you got a different amp the problem may persist

take your amp back to the shop and play it there, and swap the preamp tubes with another amp while you are there for testing purposes. THey shouldn't have a problem in helping you do that.