I'm thinking of trying to learn to sing at the same time as play guitar. For months I've looked for a vocalist for my band, and I'm been thinking, there's no harm in training myself to sing just in case I'm good, what do I know, I could be?

Only thing is, I enjoy guitar ALOT and would not be willing to give it up completely to be the vocalist, so that's why I want to learn, even if I have to be content with being rythym guitarist only.

In any case, I've know a great lead guitarist who can play some very fast solos (Tornado of Souls, Eruption etc) very skillfully and he's interested in starting an old school metal band, like Megadeth or Metallica kind of thing, with the odd Sabbath cover thrown in.

So anyway, I think it's worth a try, so any tips on learning?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate head with 4x12 angled cab

Squier Strat (Fiesta Red) 90's, Korean
It's just a lot of practice. Be sure to stand while playing. That's a kicker, because you need to be upright to sing well, so the transition to the stage will be easier. Otherwise, just practice.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Practicing is about all you can do.

It took me about 2 months to get the just of it, and I still have problems with more intricate singing while playing (like when playing lead lines).

Start with some easy few chord songs, like Good Riddance or basically anything by Green Day (I'm serious.)

Then get a little more complicated with like an Oasis song or something... it just takes practice.
Start with the early rock/rockabilly songs that were being performed by young musicians who needed simple arrangements for one or two people. Fred Sokolow did a one-disc rockabilly method disc that has some tabs and lyrics and he sings while playing some of the stuff on the disc. You can get it from Netflix.
Well the Green Day and Oasis stuff isn't really my style, I've got a sort of Dave Mustaine style snarling voice, more of an 80's metal kind of thing...

I have tried to do Paranoid by Black Sabbath and it was really difficult, I just can't do it at the same time, but I also tried Iron Man by Black Sabbath and that was easy because the singing matches the riff
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Regardless of it being your style or not, you need to start practising on how to completely divide your brain into two parts: Singing and playing guitar. It's a lot harder than it seems, even with 'easy' stuff like Green Day.

You didn't start off on the guitar by nailing anything by Megadeth, and this is at least three times as hard.
Yeah man, just saying, I don't like Green Day or Oasis, so I'd rather do some simple stuff from bands I do like, which I'm sure is possible. Like all classic rock and old school metal and also blues and jazz
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Yeah man, I like Nirvana
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Start out with songs in which the guitar playing mimicks the singing. A good example of this would be Bad Kids by Black Lips, great song too. It's still going to take a lot of practice. you should also try to play the song slowly since it should be easier to sing and progressively speeding it up to normal speed as you get the hang of it. Good luck!
well i blow at singing, but i learned by standing up and start playing the song. Then i open up a really long article about whatever, and as i play, i read the article out loud. that helped me alot.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Try practicing something by Megadeth that has a steady rhythm, such as Peace Sells. Singing and playing simultaneously is no little thing for most people. It takes a hell of a lot of practice. Then again, so does learning to play the guitar. You'll get it if you apply yourself.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
"for whom the bell tolls" and "enter sandman" are both pretty easy to sing while playing.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
this probably isn't your style but a lot of A Day to Remember songs go at decent speeds and are pretty easy to play, and could train your regular vocals and guttural/growling/shouted vocal abilities (don't bash me for this please i didn't know how else to put it hahaha)
Quote by carlos_almighty
"for whom the bell tolls" and "enter sandman" are both pretty easy to sing while playing.

Also Whiplash is a good one to learn too. It's good to get you started, as the verse riff is nothing complicated, it's easy to pick up. Also, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap isn't bad either.
Quote by Kevy Absolution
It's just a lot of practice. Be sure to stand while playing. That's a kicker, because you need to be upright to sing well, so the transition to the stage will be easier. Otherwise, just practice.

This and practice with rhythms. Not sure how to explain it, but it helps a lot.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
I would also like to throw in the verse to "Iron Man." It was probably the first song you learned how to play, so why not go back to your roots
That, and Iron Man's vocals and guitar are the exact same rhythm
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
look up some punk man.

also learning to sing while you play is a lot like two hand tapping. at first its like "ZOMG two thingz at oneGAHH" but then it gets pretty easy.
no sir away a papaya war is on
First song I ever sang and played was Wagon Wheel - Old Crow Medicine Show.

It's 4 easy chords so it's not hard to pick up on when to say whatever. Just gotta practice I guess.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
You just have to think of the words and guitar bits in sections. Its just two different rythms at the same time...and when you're playing rythm guitar its fairly simple to get this down because everything is in the same tempo. So find a song with a few chords and start hammering away...I started out by humming the vocal melody and then gradually got more comfortable with words. So keep practicing....and practice A LOT!
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
A good way to start, is to play the song and just hum along. When you get comfortable, throw in the odd word, then all the words. You'll get the knack of it eventually mate, but it will take a couple of months at least.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
alright thanks for your advice guys

Oh, and about the vocal style, I'm not into screaming and growling, I only like clean vocals but yeah, I'll try as many of these songs as I can. As for Peace Sells, that sounds like a good one to try, seeing as I know the lyrics off by heart anyway
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Bob Dylan. Pretty much any of his 1960s folk stuff. I know you're thinking more about Metal style music, but who doesn't like Dylan?
A good way to start, is to play the song and just hum along. When you get comfortable, throw in the odd word, then all the words

Yeah it worked on mine
Ibanez RG321MH
TASCAM 144
Guitar RIG 4
Try singing rhythm based vocals. Songs like "Jumper" by Third Eye Blind and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana are good songs to practice.
Quote by fastboyslim
Bob Dylan. Pretty much any of his 1960s folk stuff. I know you're thinking more about Metal style music, but who doesn't like Dylan?

Yeah man, who DOESENT like Dylan, it should be like a criminal offence not to don't get me wrong, I'm into classic rock too, but right now, my main interest is in old school metal. I think some Dylan tracks are exactly what I need, thanks dude And I know the lyrics to a whole bunch of them (who doesen't?)
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

For Whom The Bell Tolls- Metallica
Paranoid- Black Sabbath
Black Sabbath-Black Sabbath
Ich Tu Dir Weh-Rammstein
Pussy-Rammstein
Mann Gegen Mann-Rammstein (only the chorus and some of the bridge has both guitar and vocals)
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
It looks easy when you see someone else do it, but when you try it yourself. it is amazing how difficult it becomes. Whenever I try, I lose concentration. Either my guitar playing goes to shit or my singing does. I guess it takes some practice before you become proficient at both.

ron666
Imagine how long it took John Mayer to be able to solo and sing at the same time. Now THAT gets babes.

Was that John Mayer...? I'm pretty sure it was...
i started singing and playing with Enter Sandman, which was kinda tricky but not horrible, and Seek and Destroy is incredibly easy to pick up, like said before find songs that keep a consistent rhythm throughout the verse, then gradually move up. also throw in a random super hard one, just to keep you trying for something. im still attempting to be able to play/sing That Was Just Your Life
NOPE
Like all these guys have said, practice with a couple of easy songs.

I learn't by playing some old Nickelback, and some Social Distortion. Most Social Distortion songs have only 3 chords in the songs.. Such as, "Ball and chain". But I learn't how to play and sing on the Nickelback song, "Leader of men". It's an easy some with your basic chords of E, G, and D.. It's taken me a few months to learn. But progress yourself to harder songs as you learn. You'll be singing and playing in no time.
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Well the Green Day and Oasis stuff isn't really my style, I've got a sort of Dave Mustaine style snarling voice, more of an 80's metal kind of thing...

I have tried to do Paranoid by Black Sabbath and it was really difficult, I just can't do it at the same time, but I also tried Iron Man by Black Sabbath and that was easy because the singing matches the riff

i actually always practice singing and playing with symphony of destruction. 3 easy riffs, dont have to think about picking patterns and whatnot. try it out

ps try mother by danzig too
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
Last edited by distortion896 at Jun 19, 2010,
I have found, that as a singer/ songwriter/ lead+rhythm guitar player, that by writing a song and writing the guitar part/s, youy get a better feel about the singing. So, when I've just written a song, I can pick up my guitar and play it straight away. I've been playing guitar, both acoustic and electric for five years now, and singing for about a year. So not really that long. But I think also by writing your own song,s you'll enhance yourself as a musician. And certainyl if you are to be the singer, you'll need to think about lyrics, as in most cases lyrics are written by the singer. try writing a song and the guitar part, and I'm sure you'll find it alot easier. As, through writing it, you'll be practising the two at the same time
Now that we are on topic, any ideas about how to tune your voice so that it matches the key that the song is in???

Any suggestions would be welcome.

ron666
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Yeah man, just saying, I don't like Green Day or Oasis, so I'd rather do some simple stuff from bands I do like, which I'm sure is possible. Like all classic rock and old school metal and also blues and jazz

Regardless of whether or not you like it, it's still a good idea to start there. For instance, I hate the song 'The Way of the Fist' by Five Finger Death Punch, but it's a good exercise for me in terms of fast chugs. It's the same concept here: you may not like the song, but it's a good exercise for you, and that's the point.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses