Hi guys
I'm looking to buy my first pedal, to go along with my Peavy Valveking 100 head and Jim Root Telecaster.
I play in a metal band mostly, and i've not been sure whether to go for a first a distortion pedal, delay, or chorus pedal for the latter two for tapping and clean sections.
Which one do you guys think is most important to buy first, and what pedal i should go with

Thanks
For the valveking get a fish n chips eq. I have one and i don't even need my overdrive anymore. After that get a delay. Delay is so much fun.
How much are you looking to spend? There's quite a difference between a cheap production OD/EQ and a boutique OD/EQ, and there's everything in between.

What kind of metal are you playing?
Can you go used?
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
yeah nothing going over the 100 pound margain, seeing as its my first pedal.
I play Metalcore/Melodic Death Metal.

what will the Danelectro EQ give me ? and is it avaidable in the UK. found it hard to find any on Google UK
You can also look at the mxr eqs if you wanna spend more. And the eq really tightens up the valveking. You can boost the bass and it makes the gain a lot more useable for metal. It works better than a boost IMO.
whats the difference in the quality between the tube screamer and Bad monkey, seing as the TS is twice the price ?
The tubescreamer is made of better components and will probably sound better, but tons of valveking users swear by the bad monkey so it's really preference.
ahh okay, does bad monkey give you a tight metal distortion ?
and any other EQ pedals you recommend around the same price as the Fish N chips, as i can't find any online in the UK ?
The only other eq's i know of are the two mxr ones (10 band and 6 band) and the 7 band boss one. And you would use the bad monkey as a boost (i.e. not adding any gain) so it would tighten up the gain. You really only need either an overdrive or an eq, not both.
Oh so the EQ pedal would help sort out the tightness of my distortion ?
Look into a wampler triple wreck. Should be all you need for what you play. Out of your price range, but so was the RP500 I bought when I started.
Check out this youtube vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBjfEkC2-qo
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
The triple wreck does look great, but tbh i haven't got 250 to spend on a pedal at the moment. Another thing i forgot to mention is that my band play in drop B
Quote by Moin92
The triple wreck does look great, but tbh i haven't got 250 to spend on a pedal at the moment. Another thing i forgot to mention is that my band play in drop B

I feel ya on that man, but you get what you pay for. I know everyone has their price ranges, but I used to buy cheap pedals and most weren't very awesome. I'm sure there's plenty of great pedals for your price range, but for an all in one type of a setup that would work great. Should be able to adjust the EQ on the pedal and your amp to suite your play style and tuning.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
another thing about OD pedals that has me confused is whether they should be played through a clean channel like they always seem to be in demonstration video's or over the top of your amps distortion ?
for your first pedal, especially if you're playing metal, get some kind of overdrive or distortion pedal. I have an Ibanez TS9 and love it.

and also, you can use the pedal on clean or distorted. It sounds good on my clean channel, but still doesnt have enough gain for me. I use my ts9 on the gain channel with my amps gain setting at about 4.
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 17, 2010,
You won't be needing a distortion pedal, what with the gain of the Valveking. I'm going to throw out the Danelectro Cool Cat 2 Overdrive as an option, it really impressed me, and I'm probably going to get one soon. It's got a great sound for the not-so-expensive price.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
^don't listen to this guy, if you're playing metal youre definitely gonna want an overdrive in front of the valveking. i've been told they really don't have a lot of gain like other peavey amps.
^ Notice I recommended a good (in my opinion) overdrive to him? And you've been "told" that they don't have much gain...
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
There's a difference between a "good overdrive" and a "good overdrive for the price". Most Danelectro pedals are just a waste of money - and yes I have a few, that I bought before I knew the difference between things.
Okay. First we need to make a distinction between an overdrive and a distortion pedal. A distortion pedal is creating distortion, and an overdrive is basically helping your amp do it. Your valveking will benefit from an overdrive, but it doesn't need a distortion pedal. The overdrive would be used on your dirty channel to either tighten it up, or to give it more gain, or both. A distortion pedal would probably be used on the clean channel.

I recommend getting either an overdrive pedal, or an EQ, or both.. Normally cheap pedals suck but the danelectro EQ is pretty good, although I prefer my MXR 10 band.. Oh, and the MXR 10 band almost does both, it has level and gain controls, and a lot of people just turn the level to 10 and the gain to 0 on their overdrive anyway.
I actually mentioned getting an overdrive pedal today to my bands vocalist and he actually gave me his old Boss PW-2. I know Boss oD pedals arent meant to be great but is it worth using it over my valvekings gain channel ?
and thanks for making the distinction , is the PW-2 distortion or overdrive :S ?
I think an OD like a Tubescreamer would be good.

I bought an 80's Ibanez Super Tube and on the way home from the shop I was skeptical that it would sound good at all (never even used a tubescreamer before), but when I got home and ran it into my VTM that the pedal literally doubled the tone of the VTM for cleans, distortion, everything. It's amazing the difference it made, I wasn't expecting it.

IMO a good boost/OD is a great place to start, as that's really the basis of your tone. A TS9 should be good, maybe the TS9DX or TS808 would be better as I'm pretty sure they have more gain and the DX has a tone knob I believe. Another pedal with A LOT of gain would be the Catalinbread SCOD, and that's about your full budget.

After that I'd go EQ (I believe Artec makes a decent inexpensive EQ) then Chorus or Reverb as far as the basics go, but it's up to you.

EDIT: overdrives like the TS9 are usually used with the gain low, and the level high, while your tube amp is set for a bit of distortion already. It boosts the tone and gain. They can be used just for the distortion, but the amps distortion is generally more useful.

Mostly people use distortions on the clean channel, and get all the distortion from the pedal. This is best if you have a cheap or Solid State amp and want a more tubelike distortion.

EDIT: didn't see the post above...
Last edited by Tedward at Jun 18, 2010,
You don't need an OD. If you really want better distortion, get an EQ pedal or a rack EQ.

I can say this as a long time Valveking user, an EQ makes the BIGGEST difference to your tone out of any of the possible things you can do to it, except maybe the circuit mods like the Mesa mod.

An OD isn't as necessary as an EQ but it is nice. I'd recommend the Bad Monkey.

Also, are you running the dummy jack? If not, plug your guitar into input 2 and put a jack not connected to anything in input 1. Makes your sound alot more punchy and tight.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I've been told the bad monkey only sounds good for a bluesy type overdrive
but it's probably the best overdrive that can be bought new for under $50
should i just put in a jack lead hanging out for the dummy jack trick then ? and yeah people have been recommending the Tubescreamer and Bad monkey, and i was worried there more bluesy ?
No. The Bad Monkey works best as a boost for your lead channel, namely you turn it on while running the amp's distortion. You set it up like this:

Level 10
Low/Bass 5
High/Treble 5
Gain 0

Ideally, for the dummy jack trick, you should use an adapter, but anything with a 1/4 inch plug at the end should do... I use a 6-inch patch cable most of the time and it works well. Wouldn't recommend using a full-on long cable, though, as that's kind of a waste of cable.

Again, I reiterate the importance of the EQ pedal. Get one before the Bad Monkey, your distortion will thank you. It makes your tone alot clearer, alot more punchy, whatever you want.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
cheers for the heads up , reccomend any affordable EQ peals and settings ?
cheers for the heads up , reccomend any affordable EQ peals and settings ?
The best EQ you can get would be a used rack EQ from eBay. You can pick one up for about $50. A good brand is DBX, but any rack EQ will do...

As far as settings go, just fiddle with it alot until you get something you like. That's the best advice I can give, really. A rack EQ adds alot of shaping possibilities, but it may be somewhat overwhelming...

Instead, you could look into the Danelectro Fish 'n Chips or the Artec 8-band EQ. If you're willing to spend a bit more, there's also the MXR M-108 ten band EQ.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by handbanana
i've been told they really don't have a lot of gain like other peavey amps.

This guy is right. Valve King gives more of a rock tone than most other Peaveys.

I tried out a Bad Monkey on mine, didn't really care for it.

Go for an MXR 10 band EQ, it's so much better than the shitty Dano EQ. I used my Fish and Chips for about an hour. Complete garbage.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.