I play most kinds of music, but play in an Alt Rock band and am thinking of getting a Warwick Corvette.

I really love that over driven growly sound that you get is some bands, so which wood would be better for Alt Rock / Metal, Ash or Bubinga?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I havn't played an ash one but my bubinga Corvette sounds and feels awesome, it is on the heavy side though so you may want to bare that in mind if you don't like heavy basses.
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
First off right away the ash body is gonna be alot lighter then the bubinga body. I would say the bubinga has more of the growl to it then the ash. The ash has a more mid tones and its pretty punchy.

IMO Ide go with the bubinga. The only reason being is that my warwick $$ is ash and I like to get basses with diff woods. But you really cant go wrong with either one. My next bass is actually gonna be a warwick corvette fretlesss =). If you have any more questions just ask.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Yeah Bubinga is really heavy. I've played a bubinga Warwick in a music shop before, and it was pretty hefty.

You're probably better off with the ash in an alt rock setting, it'll likely cut through more. Bubinga is a very bassy/middy sounding wood. Probably not the most appropriate for that sort of music.
Well I'm gonna try out a Bubinga one because they have one from 96 running four around £600.

I do agree that the ash one might be better. I do have the money to drop on a brand new one but I wanna see what this one is like. My current bass is a 93 Stringray V, so that's plenty heavy too.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
How much is £600 in US $?
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Quote by The1bassist06

$888 at the moment.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by The1bassist06

Roughly $888, yes we're ripped off.

I'm kinda considering just buying a new Ash one. What would be better for metal/alt rock. A Standard or a $$?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Some people say the Warwick growl comes out a little bit better with single coils, but hum buckers would be a whooooole lot more versatile.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
Some people say the Warwick growl comes out a little bit better with single coils, but hum buckers would be a whooooole lot more versatile.

Mhmmm the warwick $$ is extremely versatile. I would say its alot better then the corvette standard. The warwick $$ can pretty much fit into any type of music IMO.
Quote by Damaged Roses

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
With all the different pickup coil configurations and 2 band EQ, you'd almost be insane not to go for it if you wanted a versatile bass.
Quote by skater dan0
a $$ will cost me about £1000 off of ebay. Worth it?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
a $$ will cost me about £1000 off of ebay. Worth it?

Im gonna guess that thats about $1288 in US? The lowest Ive seen used $$ was like $1000.I got mine brand new at Guitar center on clearance for $1200 . Ide say maybe look around a bit unless $200 isnt much to you. Also try out the warwick corvette standard and the $$ before you by 1 or the other.
Quote by Damaged Roses

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Well considering I live in the UK we get raped on price. It wont get much cheaper than £1000 for a new one.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
That's pretty good. What sort of condition is it in? If you waited around for a bit you could probably find one for around £900, 850 at a push. Keep an eye out on basschat.co.uk, a lot of decent basses come up for good prices often.
Quote by skater dan0
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Jun 17, 2010,
The exchange wont carry with instruments btw.

You can eaily try them all out in most music shops in England.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Bubinga = low mids

Ash = high mids

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I've decided I'm gonna go with a new Ash Standard (JJ).

But I'm gonna wait till the Christmas season so I've got a bit more disposable income. A new Ash Vette would be half my savings.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Seriosuly sexy bass there....mmmmm growly
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
When you get it you better show me pics
Quote by Damaged Roses

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Quote by ChemicalFire
I've decided I'm gonna go with a new Ash Standard (JJ).

But I'm gonna wait till the Christmas season so I've got a bit more disposable income. A new Ash Vette would be half my savings.

You're better off finding a second hand Ash standard. New ash standards are Korean and cost more than the German counterparts did- Warwick pretty much made next to nothing on Corvettes- they were built with similarly priced materials as the Thumbs taking the same amount of time to build by the same highly paid luthiers. You'll be getting a better product for less money.