Well I've decided to go back to the amp I used to have so much fun with but look at the prices!!?

Laney GH50L = http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/gh-50l-with-el34s/374

Laney GH100L = http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/gh-100l/373

LaneyVH100R = http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vh-100r/371

Honestly, what are those prices about!?? I like to buy my amps new because I've always had problems with second hand amps and I like knowing that I have a new set of tubes that I won't have to replace for 5 years or so.

I always thought laney were about value for money but charging that much for single channel amps? I want a GH100L but no way am I spending £630+ to get one...
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Price increase of £150 or so I think.
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Still a little under the Hiwatt budget range so not terrible. The matching 4x12 is a bit much though when the Maxwatt version is around £250 and is 400w.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

buy used? Sounds like you are either expecting too much from yourbudgetvif new usthe game

Edit: I liked jj el34 to tame the brightness. Bly tube I had lying around to use tho
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Last edited by mexican_shred at Jun 17, 2010,
British labor isn’t cheap. And it’s only going to get more expensive as austerity measures force tax rates higher.
Quote by TheQuailman
^Feel free to respond to the question I asked sharpant.

Been watching the footy. I re-tubed mine with JJ's and I actually much preferred the TAD tubes that it came with!

I remember the GH100L being so good for difference in tone when you mess around with your volume knob!

WANT ONE BACK!

For the meantime I've gotta play on this crappy DSL which I sold yesterday for £390
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Good luck friend. I love them as well
Quote by mexican_shred
Edit: I liked jj el34 to tame the brightness. Bly tube I had lying around to use tho

Quote by sharpant
Been watching the footy. I re-tubed mine with JJ's and I actually much preferred the TAD tubes that it came with!

Thanks.

Coincidentally, I have both JJ and TAD EL34s lying around and I like both types in the amp.
I was hoping one of you guys had tried 6L6s or 5881s in it, because that's what I'm going to try next.
Crazy talk there. Next thong you know you'llwant to play the amp
No crazy talk, it's got a switch that turns it into a 6L6 amp on the back. Also, why would I play it if I can obsess over gear all day instead?
Quote by TheQuailman
^Feel free to respond to the question I asked sharpant.

Feel free not to threadjack

Juarez - get off your cell phone. You just said thong

TS - I still think they are a great value even at the higher prices
That's what makes them such great buys used
Quote by TheQuailman
Still not that bad for what you get.
+1

Compare Laney's prices to Cornford prices. What do you get? A single channel, even their low range models, costs more than Laney's flagship VH100R, whic has multiple channels and insane versatility. And Cornford have dire customer service, as well. So much so that even famous musicians are leaving them to work with other companies.

Then you have a Fryette Deliverance at twice the price of a GH100L. I mean, yeah, Fryette are known for building excellent amps - and they are excellent amps - but Laney also build fantastic amps.

Laney were always one of the only companies that I thought under-charged. Matamp were the same and now they are increasing their prices, too. So you see, it's more the economy than greediness. At least from what I can gather.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Jun 17, 2010,
Quote by thrasher.
Too bad Laneys don't keep their value at all.

Which has always confused me. Laney amps hold up every bit as well as fender, vox, and marshal so why the big drop in value as soon as you take it out of the music shop?

The dollar is strong right now and the pound is weaker than it has been in a very long time. This makes running a business in britain very expensive because the parts suppliers, whether they are in the USA or Asia, tend to only take payment in USD. To make matters worse when the value of the dollar was at a record low, about a year ago, the Asian markets started asking for more $$$ to compensate for the low value. When the dollar went back up the prices didn't go back down. The increased production costs due to the economy is what is causing the price of these these amps to go up.
Quote by mexican_shred
That's what makes them such great buys used

Exactly...who cares if they increase the price because you are guaranteed to take a huge hit anyways when buying a new Laney. Hell, I've seen VH100Rs that sat on Craigslist for $500.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
+1

Compare Laney's prices to Cornford prices. What do you get? A single channel, even their low range models, costs more than Laney's flagship VH100R, whic has multiple channels and insane versatility. And Cornford have dire customer service, as well. So much so that even famous musicians are leaving them to work with other companies.

Then you have a Fryette Deliverance at twice the price of a GH100L. I mean, yeah, Fryette are known for building excellent amps - and they are excellent amps - but Laney also build fantastic amps.

Laney were always one of the only companies that I thought under-charged. Matamp were the same and now they are increasing their prices, too. So you see, it's more the economy than greediness. At least from what I can gather.

Yeah... but on the other hand, Laney produces in much larger quantities than Cornford which has an influence on the price and you won't find the über-boutique-extra-premium components Cornford uses in a Laney. Not like the Laney parts are bad, but there's a bang-for-buck mentality behind those amps, while Cornford will pretty much go for the best stuff they can find, no matter the cost.
The circuits in Laneys seem rock solid though. I imagine it'd be possible to turn the single channel Laneys from good amps to great ones with a hundred or two bucks or so worth of parts. Just a guess, I'm a noob.
Quote by TheQuailman
Yeah... but on the other hand, Laney produces in much larger quantities than Cornford which has an influence on the price and you won't find the über-boutique-extra-premium components Cornford uses in a Laney. Not like the Laney parts are bad, but there's a bang-for-buck mentality behind those amps, while Cornford will pretty much go for the best stuff they can find, no matter the cost.
The circuits in Laneys seem rock solid though. I imagine it'd be possible to turn the single channel Laneys from good amps to great ones with a hundred or two bucks or so worth of parts. Just a guess, I'm a noob.
That's true actually.

Though, maybe Cornford's cheaper models use components as good as Laney. Hmm.
Wait, there's cheap Cornfords?

EDIT: I figure you mean the Roadhouses. I'm a bit slow sometimes.

Never seen the guts of a Roadhouse... I think I'll take a pic of my Laney's guts and ask Shot and John what they think of it.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jun 20, 2010,
Nothing is cheap these days.
Carvin V3 - Matamp 4x12 - VHT Valvulator - Maxon OD808 - Visual Volume Pedal

EH Cathedral - Ibanez DE7