Those things look amaing!!! A little pricy, but maybe worth it.

I was planning to pick up a Redstar Cab.

I play Metal/Death metal. tune to Drop C, so i figured redstar is the way to go.

Getting Painkiller pickups opposed to the Warpigs if that gives you an idea of the type of tone im after.

I play through a 6505+, also a Crate Stealth 100w, (planning on getting an attenuator and playing around, maybe use both heads)

Anyway just after some opinions here, does anyone have personal xp with these Southbay?

Would something like that suit me better than the redstar?

Ovbiously more money but how much better will my tone be?

Also if Southbay is in fact the way to go, would the oversized cab do more justice?
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
are you planning on getting them loaded or unloaded?
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
are you planning on getting them loaded or unloaded?

Loaded I would assume. Redstar comes with some sort of Eminence Pro series?? 150 w

(I have a governor, its ok but i preffer V30)

I know nothing about the Southbay speakers.

If they are great speakers Id go loaded, but if I could get better speakers for it, and just the cab its self is amazing id go unloaded.
Last edited by maddnotez at Jun 17, 2010,
I'm confused... The Redstars, as far as I can tell, are like half the price of the Southbay cabs. I've never heard of either brand though, Southbay looks like a cork-sniffer brand, something people on TGP would rave about while they play their Dumbles through it using the same 3 notes for all their songs

IMO, it's kinda stupid to spend more on your cab than your head is worth. If you want a really good cab, but a Mills Acoustic, if not your standard Mesa or Orange cab will work just fine
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jun 17, 2010,
The Southbay stuff is great. At least their 4X12 loaded with the G12H30 clones. I've gotten to play one next to an original late 60s Marshall cab and it was indistinguishable to anyone in the room. They are expensive as hell though. Jim posts regularly on sites like Metro Amp and TGP and he's a pretty cool guy who knows a lot about vintage Marshalls.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
well the only reason to get the southbay would be to get them loaded with scumbacks. They are really really good reproductions of the best marshall cabs.

You can request mills to be loaded with scumbacks as well.

You should email jim. you can find his email at www.scumbackspeakers.com and tell him what you want and he'll give you recommendations.

The scumbacks are really good speakers. The cab is about par with the other higher end cabs.

So basically Southbay is just a well made, way over priced cab with really good speakers?

I could buy Scumbacks from the 169-179 price range , and a Mills for 700-800= would cost me $1,600

Wich is actually a little more then buying a Loaded Southbay cab (unless you get alnico speakers wich would make it $1,799).

With that being said and Redstar aside. I have about 3 options: Would a Mills cab sound better than Southbay with the same speakers?

And either way, would the $1,600 cab have a significant difference than say the redstar or your basic Vader, 1960A type cab?
I don't understand why you need Scumbacks? They're mostly revered among lower to mid-gain players, I've never really seen or heard of metal players using them. Just buy a Mills cab with V30s in it, or a Mesa/Orange, no point in spending more than both your heads cost combined, on one cab. After about the $700-800 range for a cab, the change in tone is very minimal and very subjective, they might sound better, but not $800 better
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I don't understand why you need Scumbacks? They're mostly revered among lower to mid-gain players, I've never really seen or heard of metal players using them. Just buy a Mills cab with V30s in it, or a Mesa/Orange, no point in spending more than both your heads cost combined, on one cab. After about the $700-800 range for a cab, the change in tone is very minimal and very subjective, they might sound better, but not $800 better

+1

I would NEVER spend over $1000 on a cab unless I had at least $2000 in the head.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by MatrixClaw

k thanks...thats kinda what i was looking for...Idk anything about those speakers. just thought theyd be really good.
Well the mills and the southbay are about the same price unloaded. their both around 800 for the cab.

I think they'd sound roughly the same. 800 for an unloaded cab your gonna get around the same quality. Although I think a custom job like a southbay or mills gets your better value per dollar then a production cab like bogner or whatnot.

Quote by MatrixClaw

well scumbacks are great. THERE.
I mean their worth it if you like them. v30s work fine to. though I've only liked v30s in the orange cab.

I'm running scumbacks with my slo. it sounds pretty good.

i dunno why you wouldn't use them for metal though. they're high wattage greenbacks and h-65 pre-rola reproductions. It's all marshall sounds.

not to mention that made in uk greenbacks and g12h-65s cost more then scumbacks.

but at the end of the day get what sounds best to you.

Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jun 17, 2010,
A scumback cab would be a pretty bad choice for what you want. Look into Mills, Bogner Ubercab and Diezel cabs. You can find the Bogner/Diezel cabs on the used market for fairly cheap.

BTW...the Mills cabs aren't better than a Bogner/Mesa/Diezel/Orange etc. They have a different sound and projection and they aren't really what they are hyped to be as something that blows everything else out of the water, in fact plenty of people don't like them. But I am knocking them because they are good cabs and do sound great with the right amps. Shit, for $1700 get a Mills with EVM12Ls.
Last edited by thrasher. at Jun 17, 2010,
i haven't seen many diezel cabs but I've seen plenty of used bogners, soldanos, splawns, mesas and all that stuff.

Quote by AcousticMirror
i haven't seen many diezel cabs but I've seen plenty of used bogners, soldanos, splawns, mesas and all that stuff.

Diezel cabs come up but not very often. I don't really like Soldano cabs and Splawn cabs are pretty good depending on what they are loaded with. The guy I got my Diezel cab from had a bunch of different cabs and pretty much the USA Diezel cabs, Bogner cabs, CAA cabs, /13 cabs and some other boutique cabs that I don't remember are all made by the same guy that is his friend. Of course now Diezel cabs are made in Germany and I don't really like them as much. The FL German cab with K100s sounds like shit.
ya all those cali cabs are made by the same guy. pretty much the same price unloaded as well. I just sold a bogner cab to my buddy. He put 1960 rola celestions in there and tehy sound amazin.

damn, too many choices, and too much money for so many different opinions lol

has anyone heard Redstar??? The description sounds great.

i probably wont spend over a grand loaded.

Im thinking Redstar, Vader, Orange or the 1960a
IIRC BobDetroit owns one and he really likes it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
yeaI spoke with him a while back about it. He makes it sound as good as the ad says. But just was looking for a few other opinions. ill have to ask him for some sound clips