Hello GGA,

I have had a pedal setup for a while and its served me well, though i dont see my stompboxes being a huge part of my tone. In any case i now have an ata case with rack mounts and i am thinking that a rack mounted effects unit would be more convenient.

So are there any rack mounted effects units that dont cost an arm and a leg? Id like footswitch capabilities as well though it doesnt have to include one.
TC Electronics G-System. Is that an arm and a leg? I'm not sure about the currency conversion rate.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
TC Electronics G-System. Is that an arm and a leg? I'm not sure about the currency conversion rate.

No distortion or overdrive, And TC systems are known for having 'level' issues.

I had a G-Major 2, Sold it 3 weeks later because of that problem, and I hated the editor/layout of the unit.

I use a BOSS GT-PRO, I got a killer deal on it and I finally made it work pretty well..

That being said the Pre-Amps in it are crap, I would suggest you turn them off on all of your custom presets and don't even try to mess around with them.

But the individual effects sound pretty good, With the exception of not the 'best' distortion, But the overdrive is great.

Delays are just as good as TC's in my opinion same with just about everything else.
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
if you're looking for chorus, flanger, delay, tremolo, etc....a g major would be a good bet. The first version goes really cheap used now that the version 2 is out. But, as mentioned above, it doesn't have distortion or overdrive. So if you're amp requires those...you'll need stompboxes.
I dont need overdrive/distortion or preamp models. I just need basic effects, reverb, delay, chorus. But id like to be able control different patch settings.

A used Gmajor is a good way to go?

Does the gmajor have a noise gate? If it does is it any good? I have an ISP, should i keep it?
Last edited by Chaosinborn at Jun 17, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard

The G-System is a floor unit, the G-Major is the rack one. G-Systems are pretty expensive, G-Majors fairly cheap, but they're good units. I think the G-Major is probably the best bet, mines great. Only problem with them is the knobs. They have one knob with another around it, like a concentric pot, and they're a pain in the ass because sometimes they wont work properly, they'll skip over things when you're scrolling through menus. The G-Major 2 doesn't cost much more and they fixed the problem with the knobs. The effects are probably a little better too, but I haven't compared the two so I cant say for sure.
Also, if you don't like the patch editing, there are a few programs out there you can download to edit them on your computer, if you have a MIDI interface, far easier than scrolling through menus, but honestly, I've never had any problems with editing on mine.

EDIT: The G-Major does have a gate, but its not that good. I'd definitely keep the ISP.
Last edited by littlephil at Jun 18, 2010,