Page 1 of 4
http://whoknew.news.yahoo.com/?vid=20346767

i always felt the whole "ban this and that" thing schools do is actually againt the rights of US citizens, and is against the law to some extent.

discuss
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Not only do you have good taste in music, but you have good taste in politics
No, they're not flogging children for mindlessly following a trend like that. So they're not going far enough.
Silly bands? What kind of punishment so they get for wearing one?
Time keeps on slipping...

Quote by skaterskagg1
AtomicPunk7 is uncreative.
They ban things but people still bring them in or do them.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Against the law? Come on. Who gives half a shit about silly bands?
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by padgea7x
They ban things but people still bring them in or do them.

This. I mean, some people will tell you slavery was abolished 200 years ago, but try telling that to the poor bastard locked up in my basement, cleaning my shoes.
It's not against the law. Get over it.
Kids need rules.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

The education system is pure evil.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

i can't see the vid cause my computer sucks so i have no idea what this is about but some schools in my area won't let kids playtag because it singles kids out. BS. i spent my entire youth playing tag and i'm fine.
Schools needlessly micromanaging everything students do?

What else is new?

Luckily, the only thing that was banned at my high school was hat or hood wearing, but at least that was for a reason; apparently they caught a guy coming into the school that wasn't a student or faculty member that was using a hat to cover his face from the security cameras.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
I have an orange turtle one

It is kind of ridiculous if you think about it though. For example, at my school, girls can wear extremely short shorts (I'm not complaining), but if you wear jeans and if you have holes in your jeans, the holes have to be below your knee or on your pocket. Doesn't make much sense at all.
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Jun 17, 2010,
Quote by MightyAl
This. I mean, some people will tell you slavery was abolished 200 years ago, but try telling that to the poor bastard locked up in my basement, cleaning my shoes.

Bahahahahahahahaha!

You sir, just made my day.
I was devastated when they banned Pokémon cards.
Then devastated when they banned Crazy Bones.
Then devastated when they banned Yu-Gi-Oh cards.

But those had some value. What the shit is up with these bracelets?
Can't say I care too much for their banning.

EDIT: Although when they said in the video some schools had banned hugging and high-fives I actually laughed. I don't know what teacher could possibly feel that students hugging would be detrimental to learning.

DOUBLE-EDIT: To be honest, I take it they only banned these things because they caused distraction in the classroom? That's fair enough. But like I said above, things in the playground, like Pokémon cards are silly to ban as long as they don't spill over into class-time.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Last edited by Kilobyte at Jun 17, 2010,
Quote by OddOneOut
It's not against the law. Get over it.
Kids need rules.

of course kids need rules but where does learning rules end and unnecessary rules begin?

i saw the vid on youtube, and even though im out of high school and my brother and my other friends graduate today, (meaning no one i hang out with is in high school), i still saw this as "over the top"

im all for rules to help better the learning quality but the question is when are the rules going too far?
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
My school library gave me a detention for asking - just asking - if they had American Psycho

The school is pretty cool with not banning things and they view it as the reason for being the top state school in Hampshire. Make-up is allowed, as is jewellery so long as the standard uniform is also worn, they don't really mind about trainers so long as they are black, hair dying is allowed etc etc etc. Hell, they are even allowing GCSE students to bring in alcohol for food technology final products!

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Last edited by metallicafan616 at Jun 17, 2010,
Schools ban stupid things. My elementary school when I was a kid, banned pencils that have refillable lead. They also got rid of everything on the playground that was made of wood or metal (which is like everything), and all the sand was replaced with wood chips.

Also, I heard that after I left they banned any holiday type things because its "offensive" to people that are different religions. I wasn't aware Thanksgiving or the 4th of July or anything like that were religious holidays.
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Jun 17, 2010,
Quote by jfreyvogel
Schools ban stupid things. My elementary school when I was a kid, banned pencils that have refillable lead. They also got rid of everything on the playground that was made of wood or metal (which is like everything), and all the sand was replaced with wood chips.

When I was in elementary school, we were only allowed to run on the blacktop, but we weren't allowed to run on the mulch area where the jungle gym was. Tell how that makes any sense at all.
Just goes to show how seriously people take education. I think that's a good thing.
Quote by Mudmen190
Just goes to show how seriously people take education. I think that's a good thing.

Yeah they were real serious about education. When my teacher asked what was a synonym for "trash" and I said "refuse" she said I was wrong and that the answer was "garbage".

Even though it was when I was a little kid I'll never forget that - the moment when I discovered that my teachers were idiots.
Quote by Albino Uprising
"Students are banned from saying the word meep"

Time keeps on slipping...

Quote by skaterskagg1
AtomicPunk7 is uncreative.
Quote by k-train
of course kids need rules but where does learning rules end and unnecessary rules begin?

i saw the vid on youtube, and even though im out of high school and my brother and my other friends graduate today, (meaning no one i hang out with is in high school), i still saw this as "over the top"

im all for rules to help better the learning quality but the question is when are the rules going too far?

Would you consider banning children from wearing different kinds of clothing too far? ie. introducing a uniform that has to be worn every day.

Because really, that's all it is. When I was at school we had to wear a uniform, no excessive jewelery, no make-up until year 10 (age 14), could only wear black, white or nude tights, white or black socks, flat black shoes, a box pleated skirt or black smart trousers, the school tie, white shirt and a black blazer with the school badge.
Things like "silly bands" wouldn't be allowed by the school rules to be worn in the first place.
And that's common in most UK schools. I don't know of any schools that don't have a school uniform.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by OddOneOut
I don't know of any schools that don't have a school uniform.

75% of American schools

But I understand where you're coming from. But the fact of the matter is, these schools go all this way to ban every little thing, when they could just ban everything with one simple rule: school uniforms. I don't support school uniforms, but it would solve a lot of these types of situations.
Quote by OddOneOut
Would you consider banning children from wearing different kinds of clothing too far? ie. introducing a uniform that has to be worn every day.

Because really, that's all it is. When I was at school we had to wear a uniform, no excessive jewelery, no make-up until year 10 (age 14), could only wear black, white or nude tights, white or black socks, flat black shoes, a box pleated skirt or black smart trousers, the school tie, white shirt and a black blazer with the school badge.
Things like "silly bands" wouldn't be allowed by the school rules to be worn in the first place.
And that's common in most UK schools. I don't know of any schools that don't have a school uniform.

yes i would consider that too far considering it does not teach anything but that we should "conform to society" and do what everyone else does, which is something im against.

and i never had to wear a uniform, aside from junior high, when they changed the rules because they hied a f***ing cubscout leader who ran a clothes store to run the school so it was to make profit.

and this isnt about the school uniform thing, this is about banning stuff that has absolutly no effect on learning.

i went to public school for high school, i went to "white trash high school" as we called it. with all the disruptions i still made it through with no problem, and so did everyone else who wanted to.

banning stuff has no effect on learning unless it directly effects the students ability to take in information, which minor stuff (those bracelets or whatever and lets say....yugioh/pokemon/whatever cards) does not effect, unless the student isnt willing to learn in the first place.

now, if i walked into a class and started playing guitar real loud, that would be a distraction worth banning, due to the fact that the teacher couldnt relay the information to students due to the noise drowning him/her out.

so its not a matter of "stopping students from learning due to these items" its a matter of how the teacher teaches and if the student wants to learn
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Quote by k-train
yes i would consider that too far considering it does not teach anything but that we should "conform to society" and do what everyone else does, which is something im against.

/snip

Which is what everyone wearing Silly Bandz are doing.
If we didn't have these rules as children, what would be so liberating about growing up and graduating?
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by MightyAl
Which is what everyone wearing Silly Bandz are doing.

what i meant was to conform and have no one be different, not everyone wears silly bands or whatever they are. just majority do.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
I agree with school uniform because I can barely afford clothes, so buying 6 identical shirts and two pairs of trousers for about £20 and looking just as poor as everyone else is better than me turning up in one of three pairs of jeans and one of three blank 50p shirts, both from Primark.

But then again, my school isn't very strict on uniform as I already mentioned.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by k-train
what i meant was to conform and have no one be different, not everyone wears silly bands or whatever they are. just majority do.

And they're doing it because so many others are doing it. They're volunteering for conformity, because they're sad bastards.
Quote by MightyAl
And they're doing it because so many others are doing it. They're volunteering for conformity, because they're sad bastards.

and your right, they are sad bastards, but the main point of that argument would be whats better? letting them volunteer for conformity, or forcing it on them with rules? i say volunteer for conformity so they are free to make decisions
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Quote by k-train
and your right, they are sad bastards, but the main point of that argument would be whats better? letting them volunteer for conformity, or forcing it on them with rules? i say volunteer for conformity so they are free to make decisions

School uniform only dictates what you wear.
If anything, it would actually make you more inventive in non-conformity, since you can't just get a br00t4lz metal t-shirt.

Free your mind, and the clothes don't matter shit.
My elementary school chopped down a tree because "the leaves were slippery". Also, bandanas were banned at my high school and pokemon cards were banned at my elementary school...

I think schools and parents need to have stricter discipline for their kids; banning certain things when they get out of hand is not a good way to 'control' your kids though.
Page 1 of 4