Looking at stuff like the Pritchards and Polytone brutes, they sound really great. But they're way out of my price range. It's also hard for me to justify the price of the Tech 21 stuff, knowing it's older tech that's been bested by the recent character pedals.

Meanwhile on the lower price range you have stuff like the Peavey Bandit - which sounds great, has great cleans, but the dirty channels, while "tube like" seem maybe a little boring to me, they're going for a more generic sound for bedroom metallers.

The only other amp I would be looking at is the AC15VR, which is obviously not as loud, and lacks an effects loop or direct out. I don't know why more SS amps don't have a direct out.

Is there anything else out there? I know Crate had a few good amps. I almost wish Orange made a higher wattage version of their Crush amps, I've heard they're pretty good.

I tend to like Vox and Orange best for dirt, and I like SLO and Engl type sounds for higher gain. I like a real nice Fender or Jazz Chorus clean too. Clean headroom is kind of important to me.
Last edited by GURREN LAGANN at Jun 17, 2010,
Crate GX-130C or Ampeg VH-140C or Ampeg SS-150
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Also needs to be lightweight

I like the Crate VTX but there doesn't seem to be a 1x12 version? There's a 2x10 but it's a bit heavy.

Is there a Crate or Ampeg SS that's relatively lightweight and has "that" circuit?
Last edited by GURREN LAGANN at Jun 17, 2010,
Lightweight, loud and clean: ZT Lunchbox
Lightweight, loud, clean and dirty: Sunn Beta Lead, Peavey Vypyr 75
Heavy, loud and clean/dirty: Ampeg VH140c, Ampeg SS140c, Crate GX130c, Crate GT3500H
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Sunn Beta lead sounds kind of interesting, not sure I could find one locally.

Already have a Lunchbox Great amp, but no dirt on it and hurts my ears when I turn the tone knob up.
Yeah, I don't think you're gonna find a great dirty SS amp that is lightweight then...

The VH140c isn't that heavy, actually... the head is 40 lbs, and the combo is 68 also, which is fairly light compared to some heads/cabs.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by handbanana
Marshall AVT

The AVT is the new version valvestate and it sound shit, its basically Marshall trying to make up for crap distortion with tons of effects, go for the vs series (valvestate generation II) or the 81 series (valvestate gen. I)
Quote by TokaiEX
The AVT is the new version valvestate and it sound shit, its basically Marshall trying to make up for crap distortion with tons of effects, go for the vs series (valvestate generation II) or the 81 series (valvestate gen. I)

+1, I've also never heard anyone say a good thing about the Orange Crush amps until this week.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Raijouta
Yeah, I don't think you're gonna find a great dirty SS amp that is lightweight then...

The VH140c isn't that heavy, actually... the head is 40 lbs, and the combo is 68 also, which is fairly light compared to some heads/cabs.

68 is insanely heavy for a combo, especially for SS. Even SS 2x12s don't tend to weigh that much.
Quote by TokaiEX

this is all wrong, my Marshall AVT50 actually sounds pretty decent for solid state, I replaced the single 12ax7 for a Mesa 12ax7 and it really brought this thing to life. Thats $20, and 10 minutes installing, well worth it. With a tubescreamer in front of it, it gets pretty close to JCM2000's.

And my AVT does not have any effects like you speak of. Only effect it has is reverb. And the AVT's are definitely better than the old valvestates. The regular valvestate sound absolutely terrible.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
68 is insanely heavy for a combo, especially for SS. Even SS 2x12s don't tend to weigh that much.

I'm pretty sure those weights are wrong... because my VH-140C head couldn't have weighed more than 30 lbs.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by handbanana
my VTM 120 head is 56 lbs. fml

But that's a tube amp

My Framus Cobra and Peavey Ultra are around that.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'm pretty sure those weights are wrong... because my VH-140C head couldn't have weighed more than 30 lbs.

Came from the Ampeg manuals, bro...

And the VH140c combo is a 212, so yeah.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by handbanana
my VTM 120 head is 56 lbs. fml

ya my VTM60 weighs a ****in ton... well less than 56 lbs but still a lot

Peavey Supreme 160? There was a guy trying to sell me one for $160 a while back, shoulda jumped on that...

EDIT: don't buy an SS amp based on how "tube-like" it is, if you want that, buy tube or cheap out and buy a modeller.
Last edited by Tedward at Jun 19, 2010,
Quote by Raijouta
Came from the Ampeg manuals, bro...

And the VH140c combo is a 212, so yeah.

Peavey also states that the 5150 Combo weighs 85 lbs... boxed, mine weighed 120 lbs and there's NO WAY I put that much packing in there
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Tedward
^ 35 lbs of packing peanuts

That would be nuts.

Guy shipped me something the other day and I filled up an entire trash can with the packing peanuts, with only half the box:

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by TokaiEX

Effects? Mine's got spring reverb and nothing else.

Quote by handbanana
this is all wrong, my Marshall AVT50 actually sounds pretty decent for solid state, I replaced the single 12ax7 for a Mesa 12ax7 and it really brought this thing to life. Thats $20, and 10 minutes installing, well worth it. With a tubescreamer in front of it, it gets pretty close to JCM2000's.

And my AVT does not have any effects like you speak of. Only effect it has is reverb. And the AVT's are definitely better than the old valvestates. The regular valvestate sound absolutely terrible.

I did similar, mine has the stock tube but I swapped the speaker and that killed the harshness in the high end and flubbiness in the bass that the AVT always had for me.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Jun 19, 2010,
How bout one of those crate powerblock heads? 150w and the size of a memory man.
^ Those are just power amps, or so I always thought...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by mcconnachiea
How bout one of those crate powerblock heads? 150w and the size of a memory man.

They're essentially the power section from a Crate GX/Ampeg VH.

Also, they're now being sold as some mini Ampeg head.

Quote by Raijouta
^ Those are just power amps, or so I always thought...

No, it's gotta preamp, they're just usually used as a power amp.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
The Peavey Transtube is alright, specifically the Bandit 112 and XXL head come to mind. My Ampeg blows them out of the water though (IMO), for metal especially.

Thats still just alright though. TBH most of these solid state amps excel at either metal or uber-cleancleans. I do like the way my volume rolls off through the Bandit (mines mk1 if its any difference). What kind of tones are you specifically after? As long as your not too hard on it, valve amps can be workhorses too!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
The Peavey Transtube is alright, specifically the Bandit 112 and XXL head come to mind. My Ampeg blows them out of the water though (IMO), for metal especially.

Thats still just alright though. TBH most of these solid state amps excel at either metal or uber-cleancleans. I do like the way my volume rolls off through the Bandit (mines mk1 if its any difference). What kind of tones are you specifically after? As long as your not too hard on it, valve amps can be workhorses too!

If I were going to get any solid state amp(not that I ever will again) an old peavey transtube would really be the only thing I would consider buying. You can get an old bandit 112 or 212 pretty cheap. They sound better than some tube amps i've heard(i.e. Peavey Windsor )
Quote by handbanana
i wouldn't suggest any crate solid state amps
The older Crates were really good (the GX series).