[More pictures to come]

Just recently started my second guitar box build (the first of which turned into a 2 string jon with the scale length of a mandolin)
The idea for this next one is to use a longer scale length and fret and string the thing like a mountain dulcimer would be. Basically creating a dulcimer that would be played similar to a guitar, not sure if it's ever been done before but I feel like the thing would have some great (and fun) playability.

(Invalid img)
Materials

Neck slot cut

(Invalid img)
Mock-up

Routed neck and grooves, so that the neck fits nicely in the body and won't be able to slide around at all.

Fits real nice.

But here's where I hit a snag, I was cutting scraps to try and figure out how I want to attach the headstock (which I plan to be a separate piece of wider wood) I made a little mitre jig with about a 15* angle to cut scarf joints but I'm not sure whether to attach the second piece atop the neck, or below. On my last instrument I attached it on top, but the problem with that is the flat area behind the nut...now I guess I could glue it atop and just move the nut back...but i wasn't planning on adding a fretboard so you would see the line resulting between the nut and the first fret.
But if I attached it underneath, I run into problems of my headstock and neck being different sizes and by result having to resolve that.
More pic's in a second.

Any advice or ideas on the subject would be much appreciated.
Last edited by YSM404 at Jun 17, 2010,
God damn you! CBG's are my thing!

You probably are going to want to use a larger box too, so you have a larger resonant chamber.

edit:
Quote by YSM404
but i wasn't planning on adding a fretboard so you would see the line resulting between the nut and the first fret.
[

so add a zero fret, issue solved
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

When the world slips you a Jerffrey...

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
Last edited by velocigecko at Jun 17, 2010,