Yeah, I was curious which guitar is best suited for stoner metal. I hear a lot of talk about Les Pauls, but I also hear a lot of shit talk about Gibsons of today. I'd like a guitar that has enough versatility to play most metal genres well. I usually play thrash or stoner metal the most and switch between them during the middle of songs, so I'm not sure what's best suited for that type of playing. I was thinking of getting an ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000, but I've heard they weren't good for down-tuning, and I tune to C standard, so I'd just like to know what's preferable.
How much are you willing to spend?

and the dreaded whats your amp?
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
dont know how stonery your looking but i play alot of kyuss on my s series

Ibanez S670FM
Ibanez Masa SX60
Roland Cube 60
CryBaby GCB 95
Ibanez GSR180 Bass

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
Just my opinion but I would look into a baritone for C standard. The new Ibanez RGD would stomp ass in C but doesn't really have the traditional stoner look. Rondo has baritone Agiles in the preferred LP style.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Quote by ibrahimasood
How much are you willing to spend?

and the dreaded whats your amp?

Probably less than 1000 for both. I don't have any amps of real quality. I own a Behringer piece of shit, an Acoustic B20, and my main amp is an old Harmony 4080 from 1988. I'm gonna need to get a new amp as well.

Also, looks matter very little to me. It's more about the tone and playability for me.
Josh Homme uses Maton guitars, has his own signature model. If you can find one, check them out they're very underrated.
I think my ORM does a pretty good job of stoner tones, as long as you're not playing Electric Wizard in Drop E.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
I think my ORM does a pretty good job of stoner tones, as long as you're not playing Electric Wizard in Drop E.

Drop E?? is that like drop d on an 8 string? jesus i like strings, not yarn

Edit: agile has some cool baritone les paul style guitar that might be suited for you
Eh.
Last edited by Himelnator at Jun 17, 2010,
Drop E??? Buy a freaking bass for christsake.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Actually Alot of electric wizard is in C
The "Stoner Doom" tone is actually mostly from a bass with some over drive and gain on top of it.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
yeah, what is stoner doom tone anyway?

and to stay on topic - sounds like you should go with whatever guitar feels right and use the EQ on your amp
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Guitars made of Mahogany, Basswood or maybe Koa would probably be best for that Stoner Sludge kind of tone. They are all darker sounding tone woods. It'll probably lead you to those thick and raunchy guitar tones.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by phatsack
yeah, what is stoner doom tone anyway?

and to stay on topic - sounds like you should go with whatever guitar feels right and use the EQ on your amp

when it comes to stoner, think of bands like the sword. kind of like a continuation of sabbath.
as to guitars, i think sg's are pretty well suited to this kind of music.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Well Stoner Metal is kind of divided into two categories: Those who were influenced mostly by Black Sabbath, and those who were mostly influenced by Kyuss. I am of the latter group.

I'm also curious what brand of amp is good for both stoner metal and thrash. I was thinking of getting an Orange Amp, but now I don't even know. I know both genres are distinct and require different set-ups, but my style is mostly the two genres fused together, so I'm trying to find a happy middle ground.
I have an SX SJM that sounds pretty good for stoner metal type riffs. It doesn't really matter what guitar you use cause that has P-90s, and it's made of alder. All you really have to do is use a low tuning, and have a good distortion, and put the bass know at a higher setting.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
If you dont mind a V, the Paul Demmel Jackson King V signature guitar is excellent for downtuning, I hear
Quote by Kensai
Don't dig up the past, TS. You're not gonna like what you find.
Stoner has no limits man. I just wrote a huge thing but I deleted it because the point just ended up being the fact that you can play any guitar and any amp as long as you have huge low end and huge gain at your disposal.
Last edited by Tedward at Jun 18, 2010,

yeah just a taste of guitars I would consider

EDIT: the funniest thing is the most expensive ones (the only ones that you can't buy for less than $1.5k) are the signature First Acts.
Last edited by Tedward at Jun 18, 2010,
That third one down is Matt Pike's guitar, huh?

Well if the guitar doesn't matter too terribly much, than which kind of amp is a good choice? I mean, for distortion, I use a Metal Muff with Top Boost, and for fuzz I use a Way Huge Swollen Pickle, so I'm pretty covered on distortion, I believe.