All right, so i have a Epiphone Korina Explorer, and i love it to death and the stock pickups are great. But, i plan to do some upgrading this summer with the money i make from work so there are two things i want to do.

I"m a huge Lynyrd Skynyrd fan, which is part of the reason i really wanted this guitar, so inorder to make it more authentic i want to get the trem bar that allen collins used on his.

the second thing is a pickup swap.

Right now i have a few options as i see it:

1. Get the actual standard gibson pickups that come with the actual gibson explorers

2. Dimarzio Super Distortion

3. Duncan JB

4. duncan Custom SH5 and TB5

5. Any Suggestions? ( besides active pickups)

Sound wise, It is my main guitar so it needs to be diverse, A range from skynyrd, ac/dc/ metallica ratt motley crue iron maiden and judas priest to ozzy and zz top to name a few. Pretty much all hard rock, rock, southern rock, heavy metal, 80's metal and a bit of country

Also something that will pick up tapping pretty well, the stock pickups in my epi don't seem to respond well to tapping..i mean i'm not EVH but still, i have played other guitars that have a lot more response to tapping.

Also i'm running through a bugera 1990, and budget is not too much of a problem, but i would like to keep the price combined for both the neck and bridge pickups under $200ish

Thanks
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
Last edited by camaross427 at Jun 17, 2010,
I'm gonna say what i said to my buddy who wanted a guitar to cover ZZ Top and Metallica.

You don't need to nail the tones spot on, you know that, right? Billy Gibbons is famous for switching guitars mid-solo/mid-song in the studio, but that doesn't mean he'd do it live. If you're worth your salt as a musician, you don't need to NAIL that tone. Because you won't be playing the exact same notes anyway. I mean, i'll play a Skynyrd song or two live, but i won't try my best to nail it like the record. Even the guys who wrote it don't try to sound like the record. That makes it into something other than music. We in the business call it "musak."

If you're unsatisfied with your pickups, tell me what sort of TONE you're going for, not what sort of music. Are they muddy? Need more brightness? Too bright? Not cutting through the mix? C'mon holmes, act like a musician.

P.S., the JB sounds shit in slabs o' mahogany. And Dimarzio basically is wicked-mad high gain/bright, in my experience.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Last edited by p o e at Jun 17, 2010,
Quote by p o e
I'm gonna say what i said to my buddy who wanted a guitar to cover ZZ Top and Metallica.

You don't need to nail the tones spot on, you know that, right? Billy Gibbons is famous for switching guitars mid-solo/mid-song in the studio, but that doesn't mean he'd do it live. If you're worth your salt as a musician, you don't need to NAIL that tone. Because you won't be playing the exact same notes anyway. I mean, i'll play a Skynyrd song or two live, but i won't try my best to nail it like the record. Even the guys who wrote it don't try to sound like the record. That makes it into something other than music. We in the business call it "musak."

If you're unsatisfied with your pickups, tell me what sort of TONE you're going for, not what sort of music. Are they muddy? Need more brightness? Too bright? Not cutting through the mix? C'mon holmes, act like a musician.

Well i know i'm not going to nail the tones, i'm just looking for something that sounds..well better.

I'm looking for something maybe a bit hotter, not brighter, but just more powerful. I still want it it have that growl of something that's more vintage based. but a bit more punch for metal than what i have now. Something that will scream when you hit a pinch harmonic

im not really unsatisfied with the current pickups, they're great, i'm just looking for something that will bring it to the next level you know
My youtube channel

Last edited by camaross427 at Jun 17, 2010,
I'd totally suggest the bone-stock Gibson Explorer pickups then. I think its like the 500T and the 400T. Or something like that.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by p o e
I'd totally suggest the bone-stock Gibson Explorer pickups then. I think its like the 500T and the 400T. Or something like that.

all right, thanks, ya i think it's like 500t and 490t.

any one else, opinions?
My youtube channel

Quote by p o e

P.S., the JB sounds shit in slabs o' mahogany. And Dimarzio basically is wicked-mad high gain/bright, in my experience.

yeah jbs sound great in mahogany im holding proof in my hands atm
Eh.
Quote by Himelnator
yeah jbs sound great in mahogany im holding proof in my hands atm

My explorer is korina, so would that make a difference?
My youtube channel

If you want a bit more treble, go for uncovered (no metal cover) humbuckers. That'll make it "scream" better. Body wood doesn't matter.
Quote by camaross427
all right, thanks, ya i think it's like 500t and 490t.

any one else, opinions?

500T and 498R
all right thanks for the help so far guys, so right now i guess i'm going gibson
My youtube channel

Quote by Ippon
The stock Gibson 496R and 500T PUs work well; however, no matter how many times you've read it, the SD JB/'59 combo works so well with Mahogany (and probably Korina, too) bodies.

All right thanks.

I'm now wondering, do you think the 500t would be too hot? i mean i love metal and hard rock, but would it be too much output if i wanted to roll back a bit and play country or something?
My youtube channel

The 'JB really doesn't work well in limba (korina) bodies. What you end up with is a massive upper-mid spike and the muddiest bass known to man. I would stay away from the 500T too, it's hotter than a DiMarzio Super Distortion.

It gets mentioned a lot around here, but a Custom 5/Pearly Gates combo would work well for you. Or, a Custom (slightly more modern tone) or Custom Custom (slightly more vintage tone) and a '59 (slightly fuller tone) or Jazz (slightly lighter tone) could also prove useful; that is the sort of thing I would aim for if I were you anyway.

Of course if you like the tone of your Epi's stock pickups and you would just like something which is all-round clearer and more responsive, the Gibson '57 Classics are what the Epi's pickups are based on. A set of BurstBuckers (#1/#2/#3 - not the 'Pro' model) would also give you roughly the same sort of tone with slightly better clarity.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Allright, so right now i'm leaning towards the pearly gates after hearing them they sound pretty good for what i want, but i'm slightly afraid they wont' handle higher gain stuff as well (when i mean higher gain i'm talking ratt, motley crue, metallica. that kind of high gain..not extremely drop tuned death metal

anyone else opinions?
My youtube channel