I have read that you can convert the drums in guitar pro into a midi file and then use that as drums for a recording in audacity or reaper. i have no programs other than guitar pro and reaper/audacity and would like to know what i need to get a somewhat good drum sound for as little money as possible. Any suggestions are welcome.
Guitar Pro drums sound terrible, I prefer MIDI drums over the RSE ones.
but can't i use drum samples from somewhere and use the guitar pro as a trigger?

i have no idea how to do that, but if someone could also explain that to me, i would appreiciate it.
Slightly drunk but I'll tell ya how I do mine....

Export midi drums from Gpro

Import them into FL studio

Right click on the track and click replace with... (choose your drum sample programme such as addictive drums)

hey presto!
I make my drum tracks in GuitarPro and then export the midi file into EZdrummer with Drumkit From Hell.
Quote by ozi223
but can't i use drum samples from somewhere and use the guitar pro as a trigger?

i have no idea how to do that, but if someone could also explain that to me, i would appreiciate it.

1. save your samples with a VST plugin to your hard drive
2. open reaper, go to preferences, plugins/vsts, and there add your vst
3. open new instrument track and load your vst with the 'fx' button
4. hold ctrl, click and drag for no. of bars you want
5. double click on the newly created blank midi sample
6. you should see the piano roll, where you punch in your drums

Quote by ozi223

Write your drum beat in Guitar Pro.

Export the drum beat as a midi file.

Import the midi file into your choice of sequencing software, and fire up a VST of your choice.

If you want to use samples, you'll need to get a sampler VST of some sort and load the samples onto it.
Quote by StenTheAwesome
I make my drum tracks in GuitarPro and then export the midi file into EZdrummer with Drumkit From Hell.

I Love you! I was wondering if that was possible.
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
I don't see why everyone is talking about the RSE. Guitar pro is pretty good for tracking drums. Then he could use some VSTi for it on a multitude of programs.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Quote by iSlash
I don't see why everyone is talking about the RSE. Guitar pro is pretty good for tracking drums. Then he could use some VSTi for it on a multitude of programs.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. It's just at times it sounds too digital for my recordings.
Nothing wrong with using Guitar Pro as a drum machine, but you could get better sounds with a VSTi
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
You can apply Soundfonts to a standard Guitar Pro drum track exported as a MIDI file and get it sound to alright, but honestly it's too much hassle. Drum software has evolved such a long way I can't understand why you'd want to use Guitar Pro, essentially a transcription program for percussion?

You're just better off dealing with the drums inside the actual DAW...

Piano roll / MIDI sequencer etc!
Quote by kcorkcar
Personally, I don't have a problem with it. It's just at times it sounds too digital for my recordings.
Nothing wrong with using Guitar Pro as a drum machine, but you could get better sounds with a VSTi

That's pretty much what I said. It's easier to notate drums on GP but it's much better sounding using other VSTi's.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Quote by kcorkcar

He's not talking about using the drums in Guitar Pro, he's talking about how you can export them to a midi file and import that midi file into reaper/FL/cubase/whatever and put a drum VSTi on that track.
Hi Everyone,

though the topic is rather old I still decided to revive it as I have a good news for the topic starter. It is possible to replace the sound coming via Guitar Pro 6 RSE with the VST plugin (I used Addictive Drums).

I would like to thank for the info our Russian fellows (unfortunately I do not know they names) who described the how-to for GP 5 here for those of you who is able to understand Russian (and some screenshots too):
http://ajc.su/muzyka-2/guitar-pro-vst/
and here (repost?):
http://habrahabr.ru/sandbox/35947/

Why do I find it useful?

1. GP score editor is what I like and use a lot - powerful, convenient, stable, flexible.
2. As a bass player I use it for making "a minus" tracks, especially with drums.
3. It is very convenient to put together several scores as voices or tracks: one for bass, another for guitar, third for keys (in GP 6 you can record an input from external midi equipment), fourth for drums. Then mute bass voice leaving all the rest sing and practice along with the marker running along the score and all other voices or tracks accompanying my bass changing tempo, adjusting accents, quickly writing the new ideas into the score.
4. Before I approach the above step I freely experiment with any part of my score on the fly, trying and changing this and that, accents etc. so that I quickly get my ideas verified by ear.
5. As commented by some people above the way of exportinig midi file from GP and importing it into DAW (mine is Pro Tools with completely stupid score editor) is really a bother - long and awkward. And I potentially lose the flow of creativity I could have had working on the fly within GP.
6. So GP becomes the score/midi workstation with great VSTs capabilities, plus I do not need to buy Sibelius or midi sequensor, plus I can print scores, export as PDF or any other formats etc., keep a hard copy, easily muting tracks etc. etc.
7. Plus it is still a Guitar Pro - I do not have to learn to use any other music software (Band in a box or the like)

OK. Now that you still did not have had enough of my non-native English here is "how to".

You will need:

1. A Free Virtual MIDI Driver from here: http://nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html - download, install, keep running in system tray.
2. VST Host: http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm - as well, and read the manual. Big thanks to the software author though.
3. GP (5 or 6) installed.
4. Addictive Drums vst plugin installed.

Preparations.

In GP you:

- go to menu Sound->RSE->make it off
- then Sound->Audio Setup->select LoopBe internal MIDI for the first MIDI output (leave your default Windows wave synthesizer in remaining slots ->OK
- create say 3 tracks: drums, bass, keys.
- go to left hand side panel, push the button with guitar icon - opens the window with additionla sound setup (second from top, beneath the button with a note sign).
- find there under "MIDI Settings" the item called "port setting" and for the drum track assign "LoopBe internal MIDI" for port 1 - it will transfer the midi output from the score to VST Host, in which you will later insert Addictive drums.
- for each keys and bass tracks select default Windows wave sinth (e.g. I have Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth on my Windows 8) in the same panel as above for drums. These tracks will play the default Win sinth.
- write some notes for each track.

Then open VST host and:

- menu: File->Set Plugin Path-> select the folders where your VST plugins are->OK
- menu: Devices->MIDI-> select all midi devices you want to use so that they become marked gray (use shift key)->OK.
- menu: File->Plugins-> select Addictive drums from the list, wait till small window representing Addictive drums appears in the program main window wired to the program virtual output.
- in the plugin's small window find the pictogramm "chain", press it and in the coming window assign "Engine input" pushin small MIDI port pictogramm so that the line "Engine input" is marked brown -> OK.
- the small plugin window now gets the wire to "in" port of VST Host.

That is all. Have great drums with GP )

If something does not work check all the above carefully, read VST host documentation coming with its installation zip pack, experiment.

Though I suspect not solely drums can be used as VST but also other VST instruments simultaneously. Try to study and experiment on how the MIDI channels work and can be used for it.

Hope it can be useful for somebody. Let me know if the wording is not clear somewhere. Once again big thanks to our Russian mates whose explanations have actually made it all clear for me.

All the best,
Val.
Last edited by bass_player_01 at Jan 7, 2014,