I like using the 12 bar blues a lot but I don't know how to make it more interesting. I've got the shuffle feeling down but it's just the same thing in a different key all the time
Depending on the mood of the song, mix the major and minor blues scales.

Listen and transcribe blues licks from the greats.
A lot of blues is built on the same thing in different keys, I mean when you go through the SRV albums it hits you right in the face, but that's not to say the songs are the same, they've all got their own kind of hook, and you know a lot of the time the music is just there to give the vocals and the lyrics a platform, and it can be those things which make each song unique
Quote by leg end
I like using the 12 bar blues a lot but I don't know how to make it more interesting. I've got the shuffle feeling down but it's just the same thing in a different key all the time

listen to as many blues players as possible (hendrix took the blues to new places-outside of the 12 bar framework)

check mike bloomfield with the paul butterfield blues band-their first album...smoking guitar work on all the tracks..different approaches on each tune...

early clapton (the beno album with john mayall) has some tasty licks and basic rhythm tracks

and of course the blues masters (the three kings)...muddy waters(listening to him now doing "sad sad day")..howlin wolf..

there are too many to list ... all have their own style and feel all different...and yet its all blues...

and new players are giving the blues form new interpretation and life all the time...add all the jazz players interpretations of the blues and you could spend years just listening to them..

play well

wolf
Hi, i will try to write some variants of a blues, in the key of Bb. You may know this typical 12 bar blues structure:

Bb7 - % - % - %
Eb7 - % - Bb7 - %
F7 - Eb7 - Bb - F7

Here it is with some changes

Bb7 - Eb7 - Bb7 - %
Eb7 - E°7 - Bb7 - G7
C7 - F7 (Bb.G7) - (C7.F7)

The last two bars are played with each note half a bar and it is called turnarround. E°7 is a diminished seventh chord, check it if you don´t know it. Now I will show an example of this 12-Bar blues with more chords that move into others.

Bb7 - Eb7 - Bb7 - %
Eb7 - E°7 - (Bb7.Ab7) - (G7.Db7)
(C7-Gb7) - (F7 .A7) - (Bb.G7) - (C7.F7)

All of the bars where there are two chords except the last 2 ones (the turnaround) you need to play the first chord 3 times and the last chord just one time. This chords are just substitions that aproach to the next chord. You can also play the first chord half the bar and the other chord the other half.

Check for Blue Monk by Thelonius Monk which is similar to this tune. I hope you understood and if you have any doubts send me a message.

peace.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay