Page 1 of 2
Hello everyone.

I'm writing because I've been playing guitar for about half a year now and I really enjoy it, yet I'm going to quit, not because I find it tricky to play or can't be bothered to learn but that every damn song I try to learn to play has 15 different god damn tabs, and not even expensive practice books help here.

Since I began playing I had been trying to learn black hole sun by soundgarden, I had been practicing this song since the first day till the last, and got to a stage where I could play the book version perfectly. I came online to UG to compare tabs as I knew one bit just did not sound right, however the tabs on here are completely different to what I've practiced, played on the other end of the guitar in a totally different fashion across different strings. Problem is when played they both sounds recogniseable and now I don't know what to do, on UG the tab i was using was 5 stared with 50 submiters, yet the book ive practiced from is a published book so how can it be so inaccurate? and if so how the hell can anyone ever learn to play?

Anyway I don't want to quit, I want to continue, but I'm poor very poor, lessons are out of the question and the only books i can learn from have to come from the library. Without any money is it possible to learn to play or should I just give up now?

thanks for any advice, i'm sure im not the only person to have ever encountered this so any past experience to pass on to a beginner would be really appreciated.
Songs can be tabbed multiple ways because there are multiple places/ways to play the same notes (EX. 022 = E5, X799 = E5). What I do when learning a song is first look at the highest rated tab. If I don't like the sound or the way a part of the song is tabbed I will look at another tab to see if they tabbed it differently. I take the parts I find the best in each tab and memorize those parts. And if you can't find it tabbed to your likings, try tabbing yourself.

Do not quit guitar over something like this. Also, tabs online are free and I find many times easier to use than those published in books, you should them as oppose to buying tons of books.
Last edited by Snpfox at Jun 17, 2010,
Quote by PandaBurger

I came online to UG to compare tabs as I knew one bit just did not sound right, however the tabs on here are completely different to what I've practiced, played on the other end of the guitar in a totally different fashion across different strings

maybe they are both right. ona guitar you can play the same thing with the same notes in 100 ways. just don´t quit by saying tabs are different. example scream solo from avenged sevenfold (way too hard for you but its only an example) you can play this solo in at least 3 ways. all of them sound right, so now you can choose what is the easiest way for you to play it.
you could honestly be playing the exact same thing but playing them in a different position on the guitar. for example a C on the E string is fret 8 and a C on the A string is fret 3. this is no reason to quit. this is the reason people play guitar, there is so much choice and individuality. perservere through it and i assure you, you will not regret it.
Gear:

2007 Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (MIA)

Mesa Boogie Express 5:25

Yamaha Acoustic

Member of the Eric Johnson Worshippers Club.
You can play the same song in different places and ways. I'd say go with which one sounds best to you. Lots of people have different ways of playing songs and they submit their own ways, leading to lots of tabs.

You can take different parts from different tabs, too. If certain parts don't sound right, look at the other tabs and try to find the right part. The book is probably right, so I'd stick with that, but I'm sure the tabs are also right or at least close.

I usually find one tab that's right or as close as I can get and then learn that one. If I find a part that's wrong, I listen to the song and try to fix it. It's really not too hard once you get the hang of it.
Dude, I haven't looked at either tab but you have to realise here are many ways to play the same thing on a guitar. Also there's at least two guitars on that song (Chris and Kim) so the tabs might be focusing on one particular prominant guitar. The best tool you have is your own ears. When tab fails you which from time to time it invariably does you'll need to rely on them anyway. Also when learning this amazing instrument the only way to get better is with perseverance.

Good luck!
Yeah, its very possible to learn without any money (as long as you have a guitar :P ) I self-taught myself by just using the internet.

For tabs, you'll just have to play what you think sounds the best. Listen to the song and play the tab and see if it sounds the same.
Quote by Snpfox
Songs can be tabbed multiple ways because there are multiple places/ways to play the same notes (EX. 022 = E5, X799 = E5). What I do when learning a song is first look at the highest rated tab. If I don't like the sound or the way a part of the song is tabbed I will look at another tab to see if they tabbed it differently. I take the parts I find the best in each tab and memorize those parts. And if you can't find it tabbed to your likings, try tabbing yourself.

Do not quit guitar over something like this. Also, tabs online are free and I find many times easier to use than those published in books, you should them as oppose to buying tons of books.

thanks for the reply but I need to emphasize that the book I am using isnt simply played at a different part of the guitar its a completely different song that sounds very similar. comes from the rock band hal leonard guitar tab book (think its a book from one of those guitar hero type games translating in game songs into real tabs)

It might be worth mentoning im OCD and perfectionist, if something isnt perfect its utter garbage.and totally worthless in my head hence why im probably going to quit, I just wanted to know whether the only resource ive got for music is worth dog shite when trying to learn.

oh and I know its wrong because 50 people cant be to far wrong and the version doesnt use any of the bass strings appart from the d which it uses about 5 times in the entire song, the rest is done on the e b and g string.
Yea i basically just watch someone play it via youtube now and follow whatever version i find of someone playing that sounds the best to me
my music....so check it out

www.myspace.com/copperchild
being able to play other peoples music perfectly isnt what makes a good artist anyway.
Oh, you DO want a free demo?
Figure it out by ear! That's what playing guitar is all about, developing your ear, figuring stuff out, and creating new sounds. why don't you just make tricky riffs that no one can tab? then you'll be even!
I learned, and I've never had a formal lesson in my life. Just find books on theory, not song books. Mistake number one is "learning guitar" simply by learning songs you like. I had to pretty much completely re-learn because of that.
Quote by PandaBurger
thanks for the reply but I need to emphasize that the book I am using isnt simply played at a different part of the guitar its a completely different song that sounds very similar. comes from the rock band hal leonard guitar tab book (think its a book from one of those guitar hero type games translating in game songs into real tabs)

It might be worth mentoning im OCD and perfectionist, if something isnt perfect its utter garbage.and totally worthless in my head hence why im probably going to quit, I just wanted to know whether the only resource ive got for music is worth dog shite when trying to learn.

oh and I know its wrong because 50 people cant be to far wrong and the version doesnt use any of the bass strings appart from the d which it uses about 5 times in the entire song, the rest is done on the e b and g string.

Your typing is far from perfection. Sorry but way too many people consider themselves "perfectionists" or "OCD".
someone once said, you dont need money to make music. yeah, it helps, but if you make do with what you have, and work hard at it, one day it will pay off. keep playing dude, dont give up, im sure we've all had times where we've wanted to quit. winners dont quit. quitters dont win.
DIMETHYLTRYPTAMINE
lol
After you've looked at a few different tabs and watched youtube videos, you can also listen really closely to the songs you want to learn and find the parts you think are off by ears ! It's really tough at first but REALLY pays off after a while !
Quote by AlexRB
Your typing is far from perfection. Sorry but way too many people consider themselves "perfectionists" or "OCD".

Yeah I hate when people say they have OCD when they don't aswell.
Quote by AlexRB

You missed a comma after "Sorry"...
Quote by scorpio2billion
You missed a comma after "Sorry"...

And you missed my point. I never said I was a perfectionist, but congratulations on the catch.
Quote by MegadethFan18
Yeah I hate when people say they have OCD when they don't aswell.

I'm OCD about people who say they have OCD when they in fact don't have OCD. Seriously though, I don't have OCD.

On topic, dude don't quit. Just work through it. It can be tough at first but let's face it, you're not the ONLY person who finds guitar a challenge. Everyone does. That's the whole fun in guitar. It's challenging, but so rewarding when you finally nail that impossible lick. If guitar wasn't challenging or frustrating at times, it wouldn't be as rewarding, and there wouldn't be thousands of UGers online, some of whom are responding to this post saying the exact same thing: DON'T QUIT!!!!! Guitar is awesome.

Also, your book is probably a simplified version if it's only using the G, B, and e strings. I agree with everyone else in this thread; the best way to nail a song using tabs is to use them as a guide, and correct their inevitable imperfections by critically listening to the song and what you're playing, and making slight adjustments. It's tough at first, but once you get the hang of it you'll be pro. Unless you quit. Then you won't be pro. You DO want to be pro, don't you?
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep

On topic, dude don't quit. Just work through it. It can be tough at first but let's face it, you're not the ONLY person who finds guitar a challenge. Everyone does. That's the whole fun in guitar. It's challenging, but so rewarding when you finally nail that impossible lick. If guitar wasn't challenging or frustrating at times, it wouldn't be as rewarding, and there wouldn't be thousands of UGers online, some of whom are responding to this post saying the exact same thing: DON'T QUIT!!!!! Guitar is awesome.

This Don't give up because it's hard, it's meant to be a challenge
Your issue isn't even a big deal. at ALL. You're complaining about there being too many ways a song is played? Look at how the original artist plays it and find the tab that best represents it. Sometimes you can't find the video, so that's when you gotta learn to use your ears.

And one thing, it's gonna take a lot of time, dedication, and motivation to play any instrument. You've already got a start, so if you quit now, you'll probably just end up feeling half-assed at yourself.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Quote by AlexRB

Language is unescential to me hence I havn't bothered to really learn it, I'm a perfectionist with the stuff I care about and seeing as reading and writing literature etc is rapidly dieing I dont see how typing a bunch of words properly is important, required or meaningful in todays world. I also don't see how its relevant, just grammer nazi.

Whats becoming apparant is the only people that can play a song is the song writers themselves, and that i should quit. if its not played on the same instrument, on the same frets on the same strings its not the same song and if you cant copy that you cant play the song. That might sound mad to you but thats just my brains thought patterns.

Ideally artists would release there work so people like myself could copy it perfectly but they dont, wont, and it ends up dying with them.

Thanks everybody, it is a shame that I've lost my hobby, never had one before and I did enjoy it while it lasted. thankyou for quick answer and advice, its much appreciated and will free up 8 hours or so a day.

thanks again.

forgot to add, playing the instrument is easy, ive been able to learn most of the techniques so far by reading and replicating, I was doing sweep picking within my first week, which is good according to a friend but that was just his opinion.

ITs 100% down to not having resources thats my only problem.
Last edited by PandaBurger at Jun 17, 2010,
Quote by PandaBurger
Language is unescential to me hence I havn't bothered to really learn it, I'm a perfectionist with the stuff I care about and seeing as reading and writing literature etc is rapidly dieing I dont see how typing a bunch of words properly is important, required or meaningful in todays world. I also don't see how its relevant, just grammer nazi.

Whats becoming apparant is the only people that can play a song is the song writers themselves, and that i should quit. if its not played on the same instrument, on the same frets on the same strings its not the same song and if you cant copy that you cant play the song. That might sound mad to you but thats just my brains thought patterns.

Ideally artists would release there work so people like myself could copy it perfectly but they dont, wont, and it ends up dying with them.

Thanks everybody, it is a shame that I've lost my hobby, never had one before and I did enjoy it while it lasted. thankyou for quick answer and advice, its much appreciated and will free up 8 hours or so a day.

thanks again.

forgot to add, playing the instrument is easy, ive been able to learn most of the techniques so far by reading and replicating, I was doing sweep picking within my first week, which is good according to a friend but that was just his opinion.

So you're just a lost cause? That's a shame. All the resources you need, you already have aka a guitar, fingers, and ears.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
You have to evaluate your goals and reasons for playing, and be honest about your expectations, and not get too down on yourself. I started because my daughter was taking lessons and I hated to absorb information and not be able to use it, and I discovered it's a great activity that I can do by myself at night for an hour or so before I go to sleep.

If you think you are going to make a living at music, or even play live for minimal compensation, maybe you have set your goals too high. If your goal is to just enjoy learning a skill and appreciating you advancement, whatever the pace, you might enjoy it more.

I have no expectations, I basically try to play every night for an hour or so, I mostly just try to play tabs that I like, and I read about theory and might actually apply it sometime soon, but the main point of my playing is that I get a little better ever week, and to enjoy getting just incrementally better. I hit some slow spots, and then I hit some great spots, I learn more about my guitar and guitars in general reading here, and I tweak with the settings, and make it more playable. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not the destination I am after, it's the journey. If someday ten years from now, I somehow end up good enough to stand up and play with some friends of mine that do play professionally, I would love to do that, but that's really not why I'm here.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... try to get better, but not at the sake of pressuring yourself. Playing a guitar is like playing golf. You enjoy it because you enjoy it, if you base your enjoyment on the result, you will hate it. Good luck.

Edit: Even though I'm pretty rank, I've looked at two different tabs, decided on the one that was best, and then decided that it was wrong on a specific note and altered it to my own opinion. If a tree falls in the woods...
Last edited by Rt1Rebel at Jun 17, 2010,
A lot of people are self taught, lessons arent necessary. And work on learning to figure songs out by ear- just play one part of the song, guess the notes and check it against the song, and just keep doing it. I found it hard at first, but with a bit of practise its easy.
how about getting serious and learning to train your ear? then you won't even need tabs. sorry to be harsh, but it's about time you worked at it seriously.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Sounds like the op wants to quit and is trying to justify that decision because he doesn't have $$$.

We can't force you to play - if you never played another note, the world world go on. Bottom line is that if you're not happy playing STOP and save yourself the frustration. You don't owe anyone an explanation. Do what s going to make you happy.

I'll tell you this though - you were drawn to guitar for a reason. That reasn isn't going to leave you forever. I'd hang on to my gear if I was you - you may need it again sooner than you think when that pull comes back.

People take breaks from playing sometimes for years. Keep your mental sanity for now and take a break. It'll be there when/if you're ready to come back.
Well a less nice reply.

If you're going to get all worked up and upset over a small problem like this, you probably should quit.
Face it. There will be times in your musical career when you have much, much larger problems. It could be a band that doesn't work together, it could be the inability to learn a certain technique right away.
But if you're going to breakdown and moan about simply finding two different tabs, then what will you do when you run into these larger problems?
If you want to learn guitar, you better be prepared for worse than not knowing what tab to use.
Quote by PandaBurger

You might just not be very good at the guitar. Sounds harsh but it's the most likely explanation. I remember trying to play High Voltage by AC/DC after a few months. I had the official tab book but I could not for the life of me get it to sound anything like the song...my ears weren't good enough to figure out what it was meant to sound like, my brain could see nothing in the tab that corresponded to what I was hearing and I wasn't technically good enough to have played it even if I had known what I was suppsoed to be doing. It's very easy to come across things you simply won't be capable of in the early stages of learning...you just have to shelve them and find something easier. Generally you go back to those problem songs after a few months and find you can breeze through them.

[EDIT]Also, sweep picking after a week? Don't bullshit yourself mate, that's not going to help you one bit. I'm actually glad you're quitting as i won't need to read another of your bullshit filled-posts.

Wait, so we're all f*cking telepaths now? I must have missed that memo.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 18, 2010,
Quote by PandaBurger

Probably just as well... I think you need to save all your pennies for therapy.

...yeah, that and the fact that you're batshit crazy.
Quote by PandaBurger

Whats becoming apparant is the only people that can play a song is the song writers themselves, and that i should quit. if its not played on the same instrument, on the same frets on the same strings its not the same song and if you cant copy that you cant play the song.

face to palm action.

Quote by PandaBurger

music is released only so people can copy it?
i think you're misinterpreting music and arts in general

Quote by PandaBurger

8 hours a day?
really?
Do you not have a job or anything?
Quote by PandaBurger

Calling shenanigans on this.
Thats not even hyperbole, thats just straight bullshit. If you can't hear that two notes, i.e E-5 and A-Open (for the sake of being simple) are the same after a year, or however long you said you've been playing, then you won't have developed to the point of being able to sweep in a week.

Quote by PandaBurger

Yep.
Actually you seem to describe your problem as a mixture of having TOO MANY resources and being slightly retarded.
dude sounds like you've made up your mind already. p.s everyones posts are making me laugh so bad. sweep in a week. ffs. lol.
Helen x
if you've made up your mind to quit because you cant find a perfect tab then yes, please quit. i doubt your the OCD/perfectionist you claim to be and are actually just using that as an excuse to give up on something you've already convinced yourself you cant do. so yeah your a lost cause just give up.
You could always just play Guitar Hero, there's only one way to play those songs...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Hahahahahahahaha, learning to sweep in your first week, that's a good one..
Quote by almosthuman36
Learning sheet music will add to your knowledge of music theory, which will add to your knowledge of writing, which will make your songs sound better, which will make you more popular, which will increase your chances of getting laid.
Hal Leonard stuff is ok to use as a cheat method but it is full of holes. Not only that but the only way you are definetly going to get the exact tab for he song is if the artist writes it themselves.
Just quit man. If these little problems are bugging you that much then you should just quit now since bigger problems later will kill you.
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
sweep within your first week are you retarded or what. Please quit dude, or if you want to continue stop whining like a little boy
you said earlier you feel like songs can never be replicated? THEY ARE CALLED COVERS! NOT COPIES! they are not meant to be physically copied. and like you said it isnt possible because a guitarist in a band has his own style, amp setup, etc.

Hey man im a pretty bad perfectionist too but if you feel weird because you can play a song two ways there is deff a problem. The song is exactly the same both ways. It is personal preference.
Gear
OLP MetalArt --- First Guitar
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by STABxYOU
The simple solution is to trade your girlfriend for the amp, you get the amp and lower your expenses. It's win-win.
It takes time to be able to hear music properly and also to learn the techniques to play it. After over two years playing only now can I pick up pretty much anything I want to play except the very complex or skillful music. It takes alot of time and practice to develop these skills and you have to learn to play alot of different music using a variety of techniques. I am still learning and improving all the time but you just have to keep going.
Page 1 of 2