Poll: Which gauge do you use?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which gauge do you use?
0.08s
1 0%
0.09s
40 17%
0.10s
99 43%
0.11s
38 17%
0.12s
19 8%
0.13s
4 2%
0.14s
1 0%
>0.14s
2 1%
Custom/Hybrid (please specify)
25 11%
Voters: 229.
Page 1 of 2
Just curious.

I've just gone up to 12s (Elixirs) on my Les Paul, and I love them. I get a much heavier/beefier tone, especially when in Drop Db. I also find it easier to ring out pinch harmonics too, they all in all feel more comfortable under my fingers.

So, why do you use the string gauge you use?
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
i need to have the same amount of tension across all my guitars or my hands go out of wack. so that's 12-60s for e, 13-60 for eb, 14-70 on my bari for b.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
I use 10s, I like them. Sometimes 11s, sometimes 9s.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
I use .012 roundwounds in standard tuning. I got used to the feel of that gauge after playing a steel string acoustic for years. Plus it works fine for the few bends I do occasionally (plain G), stays in tune, has a nice full clean tone and long sustain.

The only downside is the increased amount of fretwear, but I might get stainless steel frets soon.
I use 12's on my Jackson and 13's on my Les Paul, both tuned to C#. I just prefer the feel of thicker strings, i'd up the guage on my Jackson but i'm seeing fretwear alread so i dont think i will.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
I use 11's. I am a fairly all around musician playing many diffrent types of music. Rock, Hard Rock, Various forms of metal ranging in many alternate tunings, Flamenco, Jazz, Blues,funk (list goes on...)

The thickness of the 11s is enough so when I play metal I can detune them while still maintaining a good amount of tension they also give a good beefy tone that you want with high distortion.
They are also good for Some Jazz that I play which requires me to let off the tone knob. They are also not to thick to get a nice jingly tone like in Reggae and funk.
I also find them more comfortable to bend since the larger sizes makes them less likely to slip while bending or using vibrato.
I feel they keep their tune better when using agressive whammy bar techniques.
Lastly I find they don't break as easy as thinner ones.

I find thicker strings to be slightly less versatile when it comes to the tones I want to here and thinner ones just break to easily as well as having a thin sound to my ear.
11s for me, i love feeling some resistance from the strings, i love to dig in if i feel like it, 3 years ago when i was using 9s i would snap strings alot, and now...well guess im just heavy handed but now i rarely break strings unless im tuning the wrong string up because i have the tuner plugged in such a way the audio doesnt come through lol.
LTHBs, for Drop C#, on a 24" scale guitar and a 25.1" scale guitar.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I like 10's, still great for cleans yet deep enough for good metal, and feels good to play. I might try 11's one day though.
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
I use 11 because for me I feel like it's thicker than the usual strings which is good but not too thick.
Put this in your signature if you've ever saved a child.

Yea thats what i thought.
I use 11's on my Les Paul sometimes 12's. It really depends on my mood when I re-string it. I use 9's on my Telecaster Deluxe, they feel right but I have been debating on going up to 10's for it.
I have one guitar dropped to D standard that uses 13s. The other is tuned to standard and uses 12s, so I voted 12s. I happen to hate my 13s though, because the G is wound and I can forget about bending more than a step on the G
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

I use 11s on my jagmaster, and SG because they feel good.
I also use 12 flat wounds on my SX SJM because anything less pops out of the saddles on the bridge. Also they feel good.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I'm rolling with 9's on my Player's Strat (mostly because I just bought it), and with 12s on my Xiphos (which is always kept in Drop C for convenience).
I'm using 10s (lthb) on my Virgo and 9s on my Dragon... 10s are more comfy on the Virgo, not that floppy and 9s are necessary to make better use of the OFR on the Dragon. Easy as Goo Pie.
10-52s elixers for me (or daddario is i feel cheap)

Mainly because i have small fingers so anything higher is harder for me to bend, Getting 12's put on my ibanez tho as that might be put into drop B for a while. or move on and sell it setup as Drop C.
Depends on the guitar. Some of mine use .09s, some use .10s, some use .10s with heavier low E and A strings. I pick whatever is most comfortable taking into account scale length, action, fret size, bridge type, nut type, headstock type and tuning.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I use .10s because they're the most popular and I think all of my fave artists use them.
0.10s because they have way more bite than regular strings, can cope better with lower tunings and they don't hinder lead playing. If I'm just messing around and mindlessly noodling I always play my guitar that has regular gauge strings though.

0.11s are too heavy, 0.10s are perfect, for me.
13s! Great tone
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
11-49's. Because 10's are too small and 12's are too big.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
10s in my LTD, cause basically I can play anything with that. Inc. crazy solos.

11-54 on my schecter for the thick, heavy rhythm sound. Wanna make it really heavy.

I still voted for the 10s on the poll, cause Ive played the 10s longer and I play it a lil more tbh.

Jonathan
.12's.

I'm in C Standard and I didn't like the bright tone of the .9's I had from factory.
9's because they came with my guitar and I can't be bothered to change the setup
The Internet: It's serious business
.9s for Standard tuning / half step down
.11s for Drop C
.12s for Drop B

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
I use 10's because it just feels perfect for me. Though on my lp I have a daddario heavy bottom light top set (basically 10's with slightly heavier low strings) and that seems to work a little better since I'm usually in drop D.
I normally use .10s, but I have one guitar that I tune to D standard a lot, so for that I use .11s
I use the set that is used in 7-string guitars. I play in drop A.
Proudly endorsed by Kamecki Guitars and WBgear!

My guitars:
-B.C Rich NJ Jr.V Deluxe (6 string guitar)
-Kamecki Custom V guitar
.10's on my two Standard tuned, and .12's on my Drop B-tuned one.
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
im using 10s on my jackson and les paul both in standard tuning but i think i will change to 11s on my les because the 10s feel a little loose
How can you have any pudding when you don't eat your meat!

GEAR
-heavily customized Jackson PS-1
-Epiphone les paul studio
-bugera 1990 half stack
-vox AD30VT-XL
-original cry baby
-boss GE-7
-boss CE-5
-homemade FX loop switcher
I use .10s because I like them. Not so thick that bends are impossible, and not so thin that they feel like noodles in anything lower than E standard.
This question is like asking why an elephant wears tenners.

A: Because niners are too small and eleveners are too big.
I like to use .10-.52's. They really work best for me. I need very thick E, A, and D strings. They sound the best to me, and I like some resistance on the lower strings.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
10-52s for E / Drop D
12-60s for anything between C# standard and Drop A#
12-59 (7 string set) with an 80 for F (for my 8 string )
All Daddario because they have the best feeling/sound IMO
Jbab
Quote by '93
amazing...you sir deserve a lol stack

Page 1 of 2