Page 1 of 2
Well, first of all, this is my first thread.
Second, I need some advice choosing my next guitar.
I play from post-grunge to metal
(Breaking Benjamin, 3DG, Seether, Metallica, BFMV, A7X, etc.)
I have been playing for about a year.
I own an Epi LP and a PRS, but I need a heavier guitar.
My amp is a Peavey Vypyr 30w.
I am interested in ESP/LTD and Schecter mostly, not so much Ibanez or Jackson.
My budget is around $300-450, maybe a little higher, and I can go used.
Finally, the nearest GuitarCenter is 115 miles away, so I am basically going by your reccomendations.
Thanks.
I might look into the m-401. the kramer isn't really my style, i don't care for the V's.
^i'm personally not a fan of LTDs under 1000.
Iuno they just sound/seem low quality to me, despite the specs, its probably just me though.
Quote by Arterial
^i'm personally not a fan of LTDs under 1000.
Iuno they just sound/seem low quality to me, despite the specs, its probably just me though.

Naw the LTD 400 series are excellent guitars for the money. I don't really like anything under the 400 series.
yeah we mean used - i think thats what everyone eventually does - buying in-store costs waay too much.
ok well i think the hellraisers and blackjacks are still a little out of range even used, thoughts on the c-1's? i've been seeing alot of those
c-1 as in schecter c-1 classic/custom?
I think they come with SD JB/Jazz in which the general consensus is that theyre not any good for down-tuned metal.
EMGs and SD Blackouts...among others.
Dont restrict yourself to those two though, someone else can probably build on this.
Why don't you go for like a used ESP LTD EC-1000?
Signatures are overrated.
i need something more in my price range ($300-450). they are easily $150 over that even used
I've had a white one for years and just got a mirror finished Jem about 2 years ago...They are tops in my book...But that's just my opinion...I also have a '96 50th Anniversary Strat and I would'nt give it up for anything...And I've had a Charvel/Jackson a'la Jake E Lee since the late 80's and it's a workhorse..
All my guitars are set to my specs, so for the most part they all feel relatively the same...But enjoy the trip you get to go on when buying a new axe...It's the closest we'll ever come to knowing what a woman feels like when she's shopping...!!..lol...

Happy Hunting bro,
Take Care
VooDew5
try for a used bc rich maybe? you can get some of the high end assassins or mockingbirds for around your budget if you go used
Definitely go for the M-401, out of those links. Not even comparable with the Damien, it's far better quality wise.

Also, I don't think you'll want the EC to play A7X & BFMV - You're going to want all the fret access you can get.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
u have a peavey vypyr 15, which is a digital modelling amp. dont get a guitar with EMGs. it's not goin to sound nice. EMGs push the tubes in a tube amp to get more gain out of them. There's nothing to push in a digital amp and it's just make the amp clip bad and ur distortion will sound fizzy and bad.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
what pickups should i get then? remember i play post-grunge to metal. oh and not that it matters but it's a 30w
Last edited by lilwill322 at Jun 18, 2010,
get a guitar with passive pickups (the ones that doesn't need a battery)
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Passive pickups can be anything...You're looking for humbuckers, not p90s, not single coils....But the typical good quality (Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio) passive high output humbucker will be better than an EMG IMO.

High output passives will be fine. And with passives you have the option of playing clean should you ever want to.

Really nearly any humbucker will be fine for metal...
i have been through ebay and craigslist hundreds of times, i don't live in a city so there isn't much to choose from on craigslist, and i honestly don't trust ebay.

the guitars you gave me are two i have considered, but i think i am leaning toward an ESP/LTD
Quote by lilwill322
i have been through ebay and craigslist hundreds of times, i don't live in a city so there isn't much to choose from on craigslist, and i honestly don't trust ebay.

the guitars you gave me are two i have considered, but i think i am leaning toward an ESP/LTD

Check this out. It's out of production, but looks like they have a used one. It's the guitar I have, and trust me, the pickups can do metal. Also, it has coil split, so that's extra incentive

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-M200FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=516679#used

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by lilwill322
i'm looking more for a used m-401 or ec-401

Those guitars both have EMG's though. I thought we decided that you didn't want that. And I can attest that playing EMG's through a Vypyr is not pretty. It's not pretty at all.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
yeah that's true, but i'm not really finding anything i like that doesn't have emgs.
I would personally go for the C-1. More frets, better shape (IMO).

If you could save up for it then do it.

Aside from the pickups it's a decent guitar.
i think i will go with the c-1, i didn't even notice the tempest only had 22 frets (thats not the only reason though) hopefully i can find a used one for under $500
Quote by siverstorm
Keep checking classifieds and ebay. It's how I got my Edwards for a great price.

-_-

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Oh, nothing regarding you or this thread, it's just that I want a Horizon III really ****ing bad, and that's why I'm -_- ing Silverstorm.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Page 1 of 2