Ok so I'm trying to find the right gear for ridiculously downtuned doom/post-metal music. Think along the lines of Isis on their album Panopticon/Oceanic. I'm more concerned about what kind of amp head would emulate this sound. I've spent alot of time looking into Isis's guitar rig and it appears that they use a VHT Pitbull but i was wondering if there are more options. Price doesn't matter. Size doesn't matter. just give me options!
price doesn't matter.... VHT Pitbull UltraLead

Even Aaron himself said that it was the only thing he couldn't be without for ISIS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmi8oOK0NKk

I'd also look into Marshall, Green Amps (by Electric USA), and maybe Soldano SLO.

Green would be really cool, you have to custom order them from Philadelphia I think.
Last edited by Tedward at Jun 17, 2010,
Pretty much any high gain amp capable of huge bottom end will do it for you. It helps if they're not too modern-sounding, though, doom/stoner metal likes to have some looseness in the sound.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Orange
Schecter Hellraiser C7 w/ BKPs
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade
Boss Noise Suppressor
Ibanez TS9
Boss Tuner
Morley Tremonti Wah

"From My Rotting Body, Flowers Shall Grow, And I Am In Them, And That Is Eternity"
Quote by ProV
Ok so I'm trying to find the right gear for ridiculously downtuned doom/post-metal music. Think along the lines of Isis on their album Panopticon/Oceanic. I'm more concerned about what kind of amp head would emulate this sound. I've spent alot of time looking into Isis's guitar rig and it appears that they use a VHT Pitbull but i was wondering if there are more options. Price doesn't matter. Size doesn't matter. just give me options!

In that case, get either a Diamond Spec Ops or a Diamond Nitrox halfstack. Whichever you get, you will never need another amplifier.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by etniesmuzikskat
Orange

Best suggestion in the thread so far. For doom/sludge/post-metal, you don't want a tight metal amp like a 6505 or a Mesa Rec, you want a looser sounding amp with lots of bass and mids. Isis do use VHT/Freyette Pitbulls, but they're kind of an exception.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Best suggestion in the thread so far. For doom/sludge/post-metal, you don't want a tight metal amp like a 6505 or a Mesa Rec, you want a looser sounding amp with lots of bass and mids. Isis do use VHT/Freyette Pitbulls, but they're kind of an exception.

Recto's are far from tight though?
Rectifiers aren't super tight but their incredibly modern sounding high gain amps, a lot of doom favors a more vintage orange/marshall tone. +1 for green amps
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
^ Yep, that's what I was getting at.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Cool, gotcha. I don't like doom so I don't really know what sort of tone you'd want for it.
To be honest I play gothic/doom metal in my band and I use an ENGL Savage..... Very compressed and tight sounding amp with unrelenting mids. Its down to personal taste.

You don't want to sound like every other doom metal guitarist on the planet in the end! Got to do something different now and again
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by NosralTserrof
If you want to play doom, you have to have a PC.

Awesome.

TS - I'd say an AOR, JCM 800, Red Bear, MIG

Orange Dual Terror was pretty sweet, too.

Edit - if price is not an issue, get the Red Bear AND the Orange, and run them in stereo. That'd be awesome. The Red Bear has no master volume, fyi.
MoOsEkNuCkLe......All my friends yell OI!

Gear:
Jackson Dk2m
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960a
Kramer Focus 1000
Dunlop Crybaby
Hardwire Tuner
Boss NS-2

Red Bear 120 $50/$600
Last edited by JHC_DOH at Jun 18, 2010,
For doom want something british/vintagely voiced with a fair bit of gain and low end.

Orange Thunderverb.
Electric Amps
If you can find any Matamp on that side of the pond, Electric just ripped matamp off

ISIS sound pretty fat with the pitbull though.
Orange Thunderverb, Soldano SLO100, Fryette Sig:X, Orange Rockerverb, original Marshall JCM800, Splawn Quick Rod, Laney VH100R