Alright so my band so far has gotten nearly 4 songs down, these 4 songs are our whole set (Almost 30 minutes worth of material) and we have decided to continue our writing process like any other band would.

Me and the other guitarist/vocalist have been writing an ending for a song before we even decided on how it should start, but we have written two different versions on how it should end, both of them ending on the same chord progression with guitar solos and all of that over it. We were debating on which part to use, I showed him my version, he showed me mine. Unfortunately, he didn't like mine, but I also didn't like his. I said that we should let the bassist and drummer hear them, so we could vote on which section we should use.

The problem being, the dude is a nice guy and all of that stuff, but sometimes he can be a prick, control freak, and thinks everything he shits is golden. He said we could let them listen to it both, but in the end...

"Even if they like it, I'm still not going to. I'm writing something else that's fits alot better"

...taken exactly from the text he sent me yesterday.

Right away I was pissed off, it was like he slapped me in the face because my songwriting skills were terrible, and slapped our bassist and drummer in the face because he didn't care about their opinion.

I have left bands before because of one member even showing one sign of being a control freak, if he won't even consider everyone else's opinions then I don't think I should be a part of the band.

Can I get a bit of help from you guys? I told the drummer right away because I'm friends with him, and he was a bit disappointed with his actions too.

Thanks, Dave
Quote by DavidCP
We were debating on which part to use, I showed him my version, he showed me mine.

THAT's what I call bandleading

Cont. - Anyway look man, if this guy is a good songwriter, let him do what he does. If he thinks he's better than he really is, then ditch it and start again with someone else.

But if its purely an authority issue, in that you want everyone to be totally equal in things because it's fair, then that's another story and it just might somewhere down the line mean you make a bad decision
Last edited by voodoochild23 at Jun 17, 2010,
Quote by voodoochild23
THAT's what I call bandleading

He does have a Prince Albert that I have seen twice, it takes attention away from his small penis.
I can't say I've dealt with this exact problem, but here's just what I think and you can take it or leave it:

First off, dave you gotta care a little bit less about what your bandmate is saying when he gives the impression that your "songwriting skills were terrible, and slapped your bassist and drummer in the face because he didn't care about their opinion...Blah blah blah." What I mean is obviously there are occasionally going to be creative differences..which is not necessarily a bad thing.

With that out of the way you have 4 options:
1)Force your ending of the song (thus making you no better than your bandmate)
2) Allowing your bandmate to choose the end of the song (and letting him "win" and possibly walk all over you from here on out musically)
3) Compromise, take the best of both your compositions if its possible. Or if it comes down to it just grab some friends and ask which they like better
4) Duke it out

I doubt this really helped at all, but whatever.
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Why not use both endings?

Use your ending, then surprise everyone by busting back into the chorus/whatever and then close it out with his ending...

It could work.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by MattsRichardson
I can't say I've dealt with this exact problem, but here's just what I think and you can take it or leave it:

First off, dave you gotta care a little bit less about what your bandmate is saying when he gives the impression that your "songwriting skills were terrible, and slapped your bassist and drummer in the face because he didn't care about their opinion...Blah blah blah." What I mean is obviously there are occasionally going to be creative differences..which is not necessarily a bad thing.

The thing is that comment was the very last thing I would expect from him. This also wasn't the first time something like this has happened, I just cared less about it before. But that fact that he thought that no matter what his version was better and we were using it pissed me off.

With that out of the way you have 4 options:
1)Force your ending of the song (thus making you no better than your bandmate)

I had decided that if we can't agree on it then it won't be played, he did say that even if everyone else didn't like it we were still using it. I couldn't care less on whether or not my version of the song is used though.

2) Allowing your bandmate to choose the end of the song (and letting him "win" and possibly walk all over you from here on out musically)

I won't ever allow anyone to do this too me, if the band cannot operate on an equal level then I will leave. If he can't take opinions from the other members and think everything he shits is gold (which I stated earlier that he does) then I will leave. It's a pet peeve for me when I'm in a band, if one person becomes the controller of the band then I won't be any part of it.

3) Compromise, take the best of both your compositions if its possible. Or if it comes down to it just grab some friends and ask which they like better

I hadn't showed anyone either part of the song, but everyone that I had told about the situation said that it was a dick move on his part and we should operate as a band, not one single person.

4) Duke it out

I doubt this really helped at all, but whatever.

It somewhat cleared the air a bit. I don't care how the song ends, but if the guitarist is going to be a control freak.

Directly from the drummer "But I think it sucks that he's not willing to consider the rest of our opinions because we ARE a band" stated while he was on drugs.
Quote by hockeyplayer168
Why not use both endings?

Use your ending, then surprise everyone by busting back into the chorus/whatever and then close it out with his ending...

It could work.

The thing is, it's the ending of the song, we have that part sorted out and we both love it; but the build up to the ending.
Would it be possible for one of the parts to be tweaked to work as a bridge somewhere in the song? It should be fairly easy to do.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by Uber Man
if someone is being a control freak why are you quitting? you should kick out the control freak :P

Because he is the one who started the band, plus we practice at the house that him and the bassist will soon rent-to-own. If we kick him out that would be extremely awkward for everyone.
Ok I'm not sure how one ending better fits a song which hasn't been written yet, but this is the obvious answer;

Use the two endings, for two separate songs. Yes, that means you both get your way. He can have this song, and another song can be written for yours.

Edit: This is the second thread recently where the TS has said "I have x songs, which is about x minutes of material". I want to encourage all people reading to either record your practices, or at least time the songs with the stopwatch function on your phone, so you have an idea of how long your songs actually are. Doing this will avoid unnecessary embarrassment when you don't actually fill up that 30 minute set with 4 songs. (That's an average of 7 mins 30 secs per song).
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
ok.
convince everyone else in the band to use your ending to teach the other guitarist a lesson.
everytime you guys play the song, end it your way (while practicing), and he will look like an ass for consistently playing the wrong ending. He'll either get pissed off or get over it.
Another option would be to just back-burner this song. Table it for later and work on something else. It may never see the light of day, but that may be a small sacrifice to eliminate tension within the band.
Quote by xadioriderx
you should just mount a really big chunk of wood

Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?