Hello there,

I am a fairly newbie guitarist, and am looking for a guitar that looks and sounds like a Gibson ES-335 (which is one of my favorite guitars) but doesn't cost nearly as much. I'm in highschool and can only muster about 500$ or so tops for a new guitar. I have found two guitars that look like a good fit, but I'd like to get someone else's opinion on them.....

There is the dot http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Dot-Electric-Guitar?sku=518250&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26044253 or the Riviera Limited Edition P93 http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Riviera-Custom-P93-Electric-Guitar?sku=516284

I know the dot/Es-335 have Humbuckers and the Riviera has P90s which both sound a bit different, but is there a large difference there? Also, I'm wondering because the dot is so much cheaper if it has a much cheaper construction than the Riviera, or if your just paying for the fact that the Riviera is "limited edition"? And if I did get a dot, would it be a good idea to invest some money later and upgrade the pickups?

Thanks!
Last edited by NotVeryCharming at Jun 17, 2010,
the reviews on the second link look pretty awful, think its due to the three pickups, some guitars can pull off the 3 humbuckers/sopebox pickups, and some just make a mess with it. i Have heard great things about the Dots though. only thing about the Dot that i'd consider is upgrading the input jack's nut with a locking washer sense my Artcore(another great simihollow guitar), was prone to having the input fall into the body which was a sucker to fix...and they are pretty much equally priced...or they were at one point etc.
the dot is a great guitar. there isn't much wrong with it actually. pickups aren't the best (obviously, look at the guitar's price), but that doesn't mean they sound bad. i like them quite a bit. epiphone has the best hollow/semihollow body guitars under $1200 in my opinion. they're just damn great guitars, and considering the price, they cant be beat.

you've made a good choice my friend!
i have a friend who owns the dot. i enjoy it it alot even though i dont usually play semi-hollows
Try a used Sheraton or Sheraton II. They're like the dot only all around better, and they're muc h sexier. Used, you should be able to grab one for no more than $450.

That said, the Dot is a great guitar, and if you want one, go for it. I'd go for a Studio since they're cheaper, but if looks matter to you it might not be the best choice.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Bought my brother an Epi Dot, and it's a great playing guitar. I'm not too fond of the pickups, but they're not anything horrible. Otherwise, though, the action's low, the sustain is pretty decent, and it's a gorgeous looking guitar. I'd recommend that, or an Artcore.