Page 1 of 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUJagb7hL0E

Old Debate.

Basically what do you see it as? A fantastic piece of music, a great idea or a load of old tosh?
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
It's a work of art. I enjoy the concept, but I wouldn't have it on my iPod now yknow yourself
Yeah it's a piece of shit, in my opinion. I mean, yeah, I see what he's trying to do there, but really, it just comes off as pretentious as balls.
It's a cool concept.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
It really is brilliant. The idea of turning the world around you into a piece of art, while typically it would just be a common thing.
Quote by crazy8rgood
Yeah it's a piece of shit, in my opinion. I mean, yeah, I see what he's trying to do there, but really, it just comes off as pretentious as balls.

This.

Edit: To expand slightly, I still reckon Cage was just trolling the art community despite the protestations of my lecturers.
Quote by TheBurningFish
"OH GOD OH GOD MUM MUM I PISSED MILK OH MY GOD OH MY GOD "

Something like that. All the while, his pants are still about his ankles and his semi erect sausage drips on the carpet as he runs around like a headless chicken...
Last edited by Valrys at Jun 17, 2010,
I'm waiting for something to happen...
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by crazy8rgood

this
This is what I think:

^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Pretentious as shit. If it wasn't John Cage doing it, everyone would think it's a stupid idea and call whoever came up with it a dickhead.
ever since i first heard of john cage he keeps popping back into my life his 'music' is either silence or random noises
Quote by crazy8rgood
I also agree. It's almost as bad as musique concrete.
Quote by burndttoast
I also agree. It's almost as bad as musique concrete.

Hey now, music concrete is actually music. This is just, nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

I think the worst part is is that they act like there's measures in it.
It's excellent. Put it in your playlist, the sudden realisation of silence when it starts playing is taken over by the ambient sounds around you. It's a nice break.
it's both.

the message John Cage is conveying is a good one, but that's about it. there's nothing musically interesting about it, it's just an intriguing idea.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I enjoy it. It's cool because you're listening for something to happen, and you become aware of every noise around you, and that's the music of the piece.
Ohai.

Actually from Canada.
Art for art's sake. Hell, not even art really, pseudo-art. 4:33 that could have been spend actually listening to something.
Quote by JacobTheMe
It really is brilliant. The idea of turning the world around you into a piece of art, while typically it would just be a common thing.

One of the few times i agree with you. 4,33 is great, sitting and appreciating the sounds in the room present at all times isn't something done very often.

edit :

Quote by Piscasis
Art for art's sake. Hell, not even art really, pseudo-art. 4:33 that could have been spend actually listening to something.

You are listening to something, you're listening to the sounds all around you
Quote by Zoot Allures
One of the few times i agree with you. 4,33 is great, sitting and appreciating the sounds in the room present at all times isn't something done very often.

edit :

You are listening to something, you're listening to the sounds all around you

I don't need to listen to 4:33 of silence to hear the sounds around me. I just need to be silent. I could do it without the help of John Cage.
Last edited by Piscasis at Jun 17, 2010,
Quote by crazy8rgood

Pretty much this.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Highest Rated Comments
TheBebop09
2 weeks ago 28
Needs more cowbell

you are not to blame for bittersweet distractor
I'm with the majority here in saying that i'm not impressed.

It's a good philosophical point that we can all interpret and "hear" silence in different ways, but to break it into a particular time frame and label it as a piece of music is pretentious and stupid.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
^You're awesome.

Quote by gtmustang2006
Listen to RageAgnstUrJaw.

"I've wronged you, and steal everything from the truth,
Can we find ourselves, walking through a field with no solitude,
The pain goes on."
Quote by SonicMoomin
Highest Rated Comments
TheBebop09
2 weeks ago 28
Needs more cowbell

Good find!
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
It's just..... it's just so stupid.

I really hope this was meant as a joke.....

Also, I agree with the above notion that I would burst out laughing midway through.

Edit: Actually, I wish I was part of the orchestra; trumpet solo?
Last edited by herby190 at Jun 17, 2010,
...what the **** was that?

did i miss something? yes? WHAT?
'never a victim,' the role model said,
bang-bang, the bad guy is dead,
always a rockstar on eMpty TV,
the lesson complete, now the child has needs.
Quote by TempoTantrum
...what the **** was that?

did i miss something? yes? WHAT?

Yes, you did miss something. 4:33 seconds of doing something more productive.
Quote by Zoot Allures
But do you? Does anyone?

Yeah... but if I'm listening to music I'm either on a bus or something with my iPod or I'm in my room, and I don't really want to listen to 12 year olds talking about how off their faces they were at the weekend, or the humming of my computer.

If I was out for a walk somewhere nice, I wouldn't think "quick! stick on 4'33 so I can listen to the sounds of nature!" And if I was at a John Cage concert I would rather watch him bash kitchen utensils or whatever it is that he does.
Quote by Zoot Allures
But do you? Does anyone?

Yes, sometimes I will pause a song or just leave nothing on for a while if an album finishes in order to listen to what's around. It usually leaves me quite pensive, I don't need John Cage to do this for me.

I think that it's just an idea he had and he took it further than most people would, and because it's John Cage everybody accepted it.
The lives of thousands in my hands
I’ve come to take back what’s rightfully mine and now you’re damned
The lights grow dark in their homes
But our road is lit by fire from the sky
So we push forward

Last.fm
It's showing that what we think of as silence is nowhere near silence. Climb a relatively small mountain and you can hear true silence, and both are quite amazing experiences.

The only problem is that he made it so pretentious by making them sit at a piano for a pathetically precise amount of time.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by ride-the-spiral
Yes, sometimes I will pause a song or just leave nothing on for a while if an album finishes in order to listen to what's around. It usually leaves me quite pensive, I don't need John Cage to do this for me.

I think that it's just an idea he had and he took it further than most people would, and because it's John Cage everybody accepted it.

At the time not many people did accept it, this was back in the days when rock n roll was out there. Can you imagine how most people reacted to John Cage? If you do just listen to sounds around you then that's good, i don't think all that many people actually do appreciate the sounds present in the room at all times and he wanted to make people listen to the music that's going on all the time.
Quote by Declan87
lol

Wutevz, you know what I mean.
The lives of thousands in my hands
I’ve come to take back what’s rightfully mine and now you’re damned
The lights grow dark in their homes
But our road is lit by fire from the sky
So we push forward

Last.fm
This is the musical equivalent of one of those modern "artists" who makes an exhibit in a gallery that consists of a white wall with 2 lines drawn on it and then tells everyone that it represents something profound and mind blowing. Waste of time, pretentious, pointless and boring
Appreciating Metal since 1998

R.I.P - Ronnie James Dio

1942-2010
Page 1 of 5