I bought the In Utero tabbook for easy learning, and I came across this tab and it seems impossible to play. In the main riff in Rape Me it has a chord like this:

-----3---
-----0---
-----0---
-----0---
---------
-----3---

How is that even possible? How do strum a chord and skip a string like that? Another chord is like this:

----0----
----0----
---------
----2----
----2----
----0----

I could be just retarded, I did just start playing. But I have no idea how to play either of these...any input?
just play the whole chord, and mute the skipped string with one of your fingers.
^^ He speaks the truth.

When whatever finger you're using to sustain the 3rd fret of the E string, just let that one hang a little further down and mute the string.
Quote by zachbino57
CSguitarvocal is correct as usual, pepsi tastes much better out of a can.

Quote by TWISTEDFender
And CSguitarvocal for teh win.
In the case of the second one, if you fretted that E note with your second finger, angle it so that the pad rests on the G string, thus muting it.
you could also use your thumb or pick for the bass notes and your other fingers to strum the high notes. "strum" inward to the middle.

OR you could just say screw it and play the whole chord. That one missing or added in note isnt going to change it much. Nobody but yourself will know. I understand your desire to learn and play things correctly, but if your that new you shouldnt waste your time nit picking on trivial things like a single note. Also, unless the book is created by the band, its going to be some random musicians take on the song and may not be exact anyway, even though it might be an "official" tab book.