So...I'm going to be getting a new bass soon; getting rid of my Widow just because I'm not a big fan of the shape. The question is; how many strings do I want? I've been trying to think of the pros and cons of both 4, 5, and 6 strings. I play mostly metal; metalcore, but I also play some more mainstream mellow clean/acoustic type stuff with my girlfriend.

Anyone have any advice to help find a compromise? Because at this point, I can't afford a "just get both" type of thing.

Thanks!
My Gear:
Fender Squier VM Jazz Bass
ESP LTD B-5E
ESP LTD EC-330FM
Ibanez RGD7421
Jackson DXMG
Line 6 Pod X3
im no bass player but ive always thought six string basses where kind of faggy...if i where you i would be gettin a 5 string
if u play more progressive stuff, like DT them get a 6 string, but 5 strings should be more then fine. 4 strings might not be enough in some metal song.
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
PRS Custom 24
SX Strat

Peavey 6505+
BUGERA 333XL
Laney LA412 Cab
Marshall AVT100 (Living at my friends place :P )
Just get a 5 or 6 string, that way you can have the standard bass tune on the four high strings when you play acoustic but also have the low b for heavy riffs and such
Get an 8 string bass. Awesome novelty value.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
5 strings for sure, after you really only need a six string if you're playing dream theater and stuff :P
Bass: Ibanez SR505

THERE'S
BLOOD
IN
THE
WATER
Last edited by Yo_I_<3_Guitar at Jun 17, 2010,
I asked a guy i know why did he go for the 5 string bass? His reply : ''More notes'' then he smiled.
i know a guy who went for 6 strings, and he says he likes having the extra strings to anchor his thumb on (while fingerpicking)
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
i read on the toilet.
sometimes i'm even on UG or AIM.
laptops + wireless = The Pit on the toilet.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Cannibal Corpse transcend genres and stereotypes with their emotional and heartfelt take on music.
Well the question should be how many strings do you need? Do you only need 4, or do need the 5th and/or 6th string?

Also keep in mind the more strings you have, the more expensive the bass, and the less the selection.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I was talking to a bassist a friend of mine knows up in cnada who hates six strings because "your more likely to do flashy shit" and I (a 6 string player) have to agree. But you don't really seem like a traditionalist so go for a 6 if you think you'll use it.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I just figure a 6'er would be a good investment, because that way I'm covered no matter what comes up, I'll never be in a situation where I think "Da*n. I need that extra string." Anyone ever played one of the low-end LTD 6'ers? I tried out the Ibanez GSR206 last week and I'm trying to figure out if the LTD is worth the extra 140$
My Gear:
Fender Squier VM Jazz Bass
ESP LTD B-5E
ESP LTD EC-330FM
Ibanez RGD7421
Jackson DXMG
Line 6 Pod X3
I've never had a problem with LTD quality-wise, but I've always found them a bit overpriced for what they were compared to other brands.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by CommaBass
I just figure a 6'er would be a good investment, because that way I'm covered no matter what comes up, I'll never be in a situation where I think "Da*n. I need that extra string." Anyone ever played one of the low-end LTD 6'ers? I tried out the Ibanez GSR206 last week and I'm trying to figure out if the LTD is worth the extra 140$

6stringbasist has the ltd b-206SM (that I freaking want!) and he loves it. It was actually the bass I was going to get but couldn't find any top try out.
no sir away a papaya war is on
If you are going to play in a band that uses 7/8 string guitars a 6er will suit you well.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!