Page 1 of 2
A lot of people on the internet are going crazy over these high-end squier models called the "Classic Vibe" Series. some say they are better than american standards. Is this true?
Ibanez IJX121
Somehow, I doubt it. Best way to find out would be to go play both.

A Squier better than an American Standard? MIM?
my uncle's buddy plays one and absolutely loves it. i'm not sure if it's better than the american standard but it probably is a better value.
Gear:

2007 Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (MIA)

Mesa Boogie Express 5:25

Yamaha Acoustic

Member of the Eric Johnson Worshippers Club.
Quote by PunkGuitaristx
A lot of people on the internet are going crazy over these high-end squier models called the "Classic Vibe" Series. some say they are better than american standards. Is this true?

"A lot of people on the internet" - what a brilliant source of information. If you're so keen to know, maybe you should go to a music store and play both them and make up your own mind. I think you will realise quite quickly that the Squier gear isn't very good at all.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
As good as American Standards...no. Simply, they are not.

Better value? Yes. They are simply extraordinary guitars for the money and have to be tried to be believed. But, you have to be reasonable, really, from what you can expect from a budget guitar.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
i got a squire standard tele yesterday, and im very impressed with it, i got it with the left over store credit i had from a part-ex. the finnsih isnt amazing there are a few tiny blemishes but the actull build quality is dam good for a guitar that cost 250 quid, the neck is very nice with quality rosewood and what not. as good as the americans tho i really doubt that but for the price i paid i would not get a american its made out of quality woods, and with average hardware so thats where they are saveing the cash in production costs, but if you pop in some new pups, like irongear (cheep and good) and replace the turners cuz they really are a bit crap i do have to retune every time i play. and you will be well away with a sweet sounding and playing guitar. HTH
played the 50s model and honestly thought it sucked. the fretboard has laquer on it and was very slick. didn't think much of the pickups either. i have played other squiers that i thought were decent but as good as an an american no. if you don't mind the 7.25 " radius and the slick fretboard, pickups are easily replaced.
I've heard as good/better than MIM standards, but I really can't say I've EVER heard ANYONE say they were better than American's. That just sounds ridiculous.
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
I played a couple of them and they felt better than MIMs, not americans.
ಠ_ಠ
The very idea of a Squier Classic Vibe guitar being better than a Fender American Standard is simply laughable. The Classic Vibes are as good as Fender MIM Standards with better electronics.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by jestsumguy
And besides, even if they are, doesn't change the fact the word "Squier" is on the headstock.
Errr, so?

The Squier label doesn't always mean it's a load of crap - vintage squiers are known for being impressive, being extremely good copies of real vintage strats.

"Everybody came up to inspect them and the guys almost cried, because the Japanese product was so good - it was what we were having a hell of a time trying to do."
Dan Smith, Director of Marketing, Electric Guitars, Fender USA.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Do you really think that a company that makes cheap copies of Fender guitars is going to make guitars that are better than the ones that they are copying for a much lower price? No. It's as simple as that.

They may be great for the low price, but a Squier Classic Vibe would never be as good as a Fender American Standard.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by PunkGuitaristx

First off, I'm a fan of high end guitars. I'm not the typical "OMG my squire is the roxors" high school kid.

The squire vintage vibe tele I played was better than many MIA teles I've played. Better pickups (!!!), better neck feel, better bridge, and overall better sound.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Even Bigger D
First off, I'm a fan of high end guitars. I'm not the typical "OMG my squire is the roxors" high school kid.

The squire vintage vibe tele I played was better than many MIA teles I've played. Better pickups (!!!), better neck feel, better bridge, and overall better sound.

I have yet to meet such a kid in high school. I know this one kid who brags about his Gibson Les Paul Studio, but he can't play for beans.

And I find it incredibly hard to believe the rest of that unless you played a really shitty american tele...
I've played one of my friend's classic vibes and it was pretty good. If I were low on money and I had to decide between a MIM or the classic vibe, i'd go with the classic vibe, but I doubt that ANYBODY has ever said that the classic vibe were better than the MIA. >.>
Quote by Bassist Rising
Do you really think that a company that makes cheap copies of Fender guitars is going to make guitars that are better than the ones that they are copying for a much lower price? No. It's as simple as that.

They may be great for the low price, but a Squier Classic Vibe would never be as good as a Fender American Standard.
Well, it's a subsidiary of Fender right? So technically they WOULD put some measures to differentiate between the two models. But for Fender, you are partially paying for the name, so the price is a tad bit higher.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by siverstorm

And I find it incredibly hard to believe the rest of that unless you played a really shitty american tele...

You find it hard to believe that I played two guitars and found one to play and sound better than another?

Especially for teles, MIA doesn't mean much anymore. They might as well label them "Made Badly In America".
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Quote by MrFlibble
The very idea of a Squier Classic Vibe guitar being better than a Fender American Standard is simply laughable. The Classic Vibes are as good as Fender MIM Standards with better electronics.

/thread
Quote by Even Bigger D
You find it hard to believe that I played two guitars and found one to play and sound better than another?

Especially for teles, MIA doesn't mean much anymore. They might as well label them "Made Badly In America".

Uhh yea I do.

If it were really as bad as you say then big name artists wouldn't be using Fender products anymore. I mean to say a Chinese Squier is better than an American Fender can be an opinion. But Fender isn't stupid enough to actually made the MIA tele shittier than the MIC one.

Actually what you just said reaffirms what i initially said. So you played a poorly set up tele or something? Judging a whole line of guitars based on one is pretty stupid.

That's like me saying I preferred an Ibanez GIO to a Prestige RG because the GIO was better built or something.

I've at least played a few MIA teles/strats , maybe 6 or 7 over the past year. (Friends, shops, etc.) And compared to the Squiers i've played the MIA Fenders shat all over the them.

But if I continue on this argument I'll look like a Fender fanboy, which i'm not...so..to each his own I guess?
man,people on the internet can say anything,I've heard someone say that a Rg350 is better than a prestige..

all the squire fanboys will tell you that the squire is better,but it simply isnt..I do not own a fender neither a squire..but I have played many,trust me,there is a reason why they are budget guitars..
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 18, 2010,
I played one *(that was as good as mim fender so that I can assume that)* Some of the are as good as MIM fender.

Edit*
MoOsEkNuCkLe......All my friends yell OI!

Gear:
Jackson Dk2m
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960a
Kramer Focus 1000
Dunlop Crybaby
Hardwire Tuner
Boss NS-2

Red Bear 120 $50/$600
Last edited by JHC_DOH at Jun 18, 2010,
Quote by jestsumguy
I HIGHLY doubt it.

And besides, even if they are, doesn't change the fact the word "Squier" is on the headstock.

, so true. The ugliest word in the instrument market.
I read a thread on the internet (right here in EG) where a dude asked for romantic song suggestions. Half the suggested songs were metal songs, songs about killing yourself, or both. The internet says lots of dumb stuff.
Maybe if the Squier is a very uniquely well made one and the MIA was a uniquely shoddily made one. Maybe.
Quote by MrFlibble

Yep...That.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by siverstorm
Uhh yea I do.

If it were really as bad as you say then big name artists wouldn't be using Fender products anymore. I mean to say a Chinese Squier is better than an American Fender can be an opinion. But Fender isn't stupid enough to actually made the MIA tele shittier than the MIC one.

Actually what you just said reaffirms what i initially said. So you played a poorly set up tele or something? Judging a whole line of guitars based on one is pretty stupid.

That's like me saying I preferred an Ibanez GIO to a Prestige RG because the GIO was better built or something.

I've at least played a few MIA teles/strats , maybe 6 or 7 over the past year. (Friends, shops, etc.) And compared to the Squiers i've played the MIA Fenders shat all over the them.

But if I continue on this argument I'll look like a Fender fanboy, which i'm not...so..to each his own I guess?

There's a HUGE difference between the other squire lines and the "classic vibe" ones. They cost about twice as much as a standard squire, and they're upgraded across the board. A regular squire is beginner junk. The classic vibe ones are the real deal.

I've been playing for a long time now, and I've played many 10s if not hundreds of assorted teles. Hell, I used to do sessions in Nashville - I've run into a few teles And the fact of the matter is that the stock MIA tele just isn't that great. The bridge and pickups are problematic. The rest isn't much to write home about either. The neck is too thin. The bodies aren't that resonant and tend to be alder (although you do have the choice of ash).

The squire has better pickups and a better bridge. The necks are thicker and I think the frets may be bigger. The one I played had OK fretwork. The pine body is really resonant - it's kind of odd, but it works. Pine was actually the first choice of wood for the broadcaster, incidentally.

My guitar snob credentials are plenty good - you can look through my gear and decide for yourself if you want. And if I had to chose whether to get on stage with one of those squires or an american standard, I'd take the squire.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

No, it is not better than an American Strat.

That is like saying that an Epiphone better than a Gibson. Its not true.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by TMF128
No, it is not better than an American Strat.

That is like saying that an Epiphone better than a Gibson. Its not true.

epi elitist? gibson faded?

I haven't tried the squier classic vibes yet. Everything I've been hearing, though, suggests that the truth is somewhere between what mr flibble and even bigger d are saying.

LOL at all the posts which are just about random squiers. we're talking about the classic vibes. Most of the non-CV squiers I've tried have been pretty average (and that's being charitable). No arguments there. Thing is, everything I'm hearing suggests that the classic vibes are completely removed from the "normal" squiers.

fwiw i agree wholeheartedly that the big companies generally don't want to make a better guitar at a cheaper price, because that'll cannibalise their more expensive models. However, (a) occasionally they get it wrong and (b) more to the point, the classic vibe isn't really in direct competition with the american standard. It's a more vintage-style guitar. your options there are classic vibe, then mexican classic series, then american reissue. if you know you want a more vintage-style fender you aren't even going to be looking at the american standards (i know I'm not). what i mean is, while it's admittedly unlikely that a cv squier will be a better guitar than an american standard, even if it is, it's unlikely to cannibalise the american standard range. it'd need to be better than the mexican classics, or american reissues, to start cannibalising sales. in most cases.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 18, 2010,
Quote by Dave_Mc
epi elitist? gibson faded?

I was talking more about the people who claim that the Epiphone LP Standard is as good as or better than a Gibson.

However, I do agree that the Elitist is up there with Gibson in terms of quality. I wish they didn't discontinue it
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
fair enough. and i'd agree (though the fadeds are touch and go, I'm not sure I'd agree there). but assuming you're talking gibson les paul standard versus epi les paul standard, then sure, unless you're really unlucky, the gibson's gonna be better.

i think you can still get MIJ epis from japan. Or just get an MIJ tokai or similar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This hyperbole pops up every time a decent new budget line comes out. Agile over Gibson, Bugera over all those amps Bugera copies, MIJ fender over US custom shop, Epi Elitists over original '59 bursts, etc etc.

Sure, they're good guitars, and an excellent value. Just take those reviews with a big grain of salt. People who post reviews tend to have an emotional response (one way or the other) to the guitar. The guy who has 15 guitars and buys a Classic Vibe just to mess around with doesn't usually post a review; the kid who gets one for christmas and thinks it's the greatest achievement of man often does.
also that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
if you know you want a more vintage-style fender you aren't even going to be looking at the american standards (i know I'm not). what i mean is, while it's admittedly unlikely that a cv squier will be a better guitar than an american standard, even if it is, it's unlikely to cannibalise the american standard range. it'd need to be better than the mexican classics, or american reissues, to start cannibalising sales. in most cases.

That's pretty much what I thought. I own both a MIM Classic and a MIA Standard and they're completely different beasts.
I've played a few CV Squiers, and while being nice for the price, they can't really compete with the MIM Classics, which is their most direct competition (and let alone a MIA, people who said that must've been joking)
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Mahoru
T
I've played a few CV Squiers, and while being nice for the price, they can't really compete with the MIM Classics, which is their most direct competition

I suppose this is a matter of personal preference, but the CV tele has medium jumbo frets and the MIM 50's Classic has tiny little vintage frets. That alone would bias me towards the CV over a MIM Classis or ever a '52 Reissue.

Now this:

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/fender/avts/52tele/r9366/r9366.php

I'd take in a heartbeat over anything discussed in this thread (although probably not over my Warmoth frankentele).
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Last edited by Even Bigger D at Jun 18, 2010,
maybe, but then you're into personal preference more than quality, surely?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
maybe, but then you're into personal preference more than quality, surely?

Sure. I mean ultimately it's hard to distinguish the two. When I evaluate a guitar, I want to know if it plays well, looks good and sounds good. Part of playing well is having decent sized frets. So if I can play better on the CV because of the fretwork, then in some real sense it IS better.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Page 1 of 2