Page 1 of 2
I think his surname is Banks, so Banksy as a nickname.

Edit: I understand the question a bit better after reading it. I have no idea.
How does he not get caught? His works are too good for him to have not been seen the entire time he was putting them up.

EDIT: I'm thinking of someone else. The guy who did all the stuff to the New York Subways.
Last edited by RawPower218 at Jun 17, 2010,
He referred to himself as Banksy in interviews. It is a pseudonym he gave himself.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Quote by L2112Lif
Who knows, the man is an enigma. He's awesome... But a complete and total enigma.

He was just actually the main focus of a documentary titled Exit Through the Gift Shop, which sheds a lot of light on his reasons for art, personality, etc. I really enjoyed the film.
Quote by RawPower218
How does he not get caught? His works are too good for him to have not been seen the entire time he was putting them up.

EDIT: I'm thinking of someone else. The guy who did all the stuff to the New York Subways.

It's called risk. Any serious graffiti arist has had to run from the cops on countless occasions, much get less arrested.
Quote by genghisgandhi
How did Banksy get the name Banksy? It's not like he goes around painting "olol Banksy wuz 'ere" everywhere. So who named him and does anyone know what it means?

Well, he does.

http://www.banksy.co.uk/
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Oh also. He signs some of his work.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
Quote by EnemyWolf
He was just actually the main focus of a documentary titled Exit Through the Gift Shop, which sheds a lot of light on his reasons for art, personality, etc. I really enjoyed the film.

It was a good film but damn it the French guy was a nutter...

And Banksy gave himself the name.

Quote by EnemyWolf
It's called risk. Any serious graffiti arist has had to run from the cops on countless occasions, much get less arrested.

Funnily enough, the only time I ever got caught, the police buggered off and let me finish.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Last edited by IDread at Jun 17, 2010,
Quote by genghisgandhi
HE'S BEEN INTERVIEWED?!?!

Yes. Although its hard to prove it was actually him since he is normally only interviewed over the phone etc..
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
He writes Banksy underneath his work

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by genghisgandhi
HE'S BEEN INTERVIEWED?!?!

yes. He's not completely anonymous. It's not like his mates don't know who it is and people are likely to discuss who did the giant picture on the side of that building.

The people who know who he is are apparently sworn to secrecy. The gallery display he was doing was kept secret from the people who were funding it. They thought essential repairs were being done.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Show me one instance of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PDfzw0UUYg
around 1:40
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
Quote by genghisgandhi

He totally does, I have his book upstairs. Just google it mate.

It's like in bold print stencil letters.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by genghisgandhi

Here's one:

Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by genghisgandhi

EDIT: Ahh! Didn't realise it was all one big picture! The second one though...
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by genghisgandhi
TROLOLO

But what exactly is his book? Does it have any writing by him?

Fixed now
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by genghisgandhi
TROLOLO

But what exactly is his book? Does it have any writing by him?

It's just pictures. There is a few words, the quote on the back is funny.

"there is no way you're getting a quote form me for your book cover- police chief constable

Or something along those lines

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Quote by Jiggzy.UK

"there is no way you're getting a quote form me for your book cover- police chief constable

"There is no way you are getting a quote from us for the cover of your book."
- The Metropolitan police

... is the exact quote.
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by Jiggzy.UK

So, he basically says that selling art is wrong.....and he makes a book? A book that requires money to buy?
Quote by WhiskeyFace
Your from his home town you probably know him

The thing is, lots of people actually do know him here.

He's just another one of the graffiti artists who operated in Easton in the 90s. 'cept whilst the rest still live in Easton, he's gone a bit further.

Quote by genghisgandhi
So, he basically says that selling art is wrong.....and he makes a book? A book that requires money to buy?

The book was actually made by Banksy (not the first, by the way), just like the site's actually 'run' by him.
Last edited by red157 at Jun 17, 2010,
Quote by IDread
"There is no way you are getting a quote from us for the cover of your book."
- The Metropolitan police

... is the exact quote.

Ace, cheers.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Quote by genghisgandhi

That is selling a book full of pictures of the art, not the art itself.

Selling pieces of street art defeats the point entirely if you ask me. Banksy feels the same no doubt.
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
How could I have forgotten the banksy stencil at the bottom of the pieces? I even have one of his books upstairs.
Quote by IDread
That is selling a book full of pictures of the art, not the art itself.

Selling pieces of street art defeats the point entirely if you ask me. Banksy feels the same no doubt.

I believe the argument is that the book itself is art.
Quote by genghisgandhi

He said selling art is wrong?

But he's always selling art. Where'd you get that from?
Quote by genghisgandhi
Yeah, and CDs are only copies of the music.

I think Banksy is against people selling individual art for huge sums of money, such as paintings/sculptures being sold by artists for a LOT of money.

A book though, is cheap and affordable, thus acceptable.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Uhhh...Banksy did a piece that involved ripping a London telephone booth out of the ground, cutting into two pieces, welding it back together at an angle, installing a pick axe on the window with blood around it, and placing it in a random alley. Then he proceeded to sell it at an auction for 500 grand, or maybe it was 550.
Quote by EnemyWolf
Uhhh...Banksy did a piece that involved ripping a London telephone booth out of the ground, cutting into two pieces, welding it back together at an angle, installing a pick axe on the window with blood around it, and placing it in a random alley. Then he proceeded to sell it at an auction for 500 grand, or maybe it was 550.

Two things you got wrong there... It wasn't ripped out, it was a scrapped one that he bought and modified.
And it wasn't him that sold it. As far as I know, Banksy has never sold any of his street art pieces. The people who own the buildings they are painted on or the land they are placed on have however.
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Last edited by IDread at Jun 17, 2010,
Quote by WhiskeyFace
And btw, he does sell his art but gives the money to charity (apparently )

He does sell some paintings I think but definately not the street art. All of that thats been sold has been without his consent.

Even if he does sell paintings you can't exactly accuse him of being in it for the money...

From his website:

"Banksy does not produce greeting cards or print photo-canvases or paint commissions or sell freshly baked bagels. Please take anything from this site and make your own (non-commercial use only thanks)."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Page 1 of 2