title pretty much sums it up, im pretty exhilerhated all my other sources. im into shit like black keys, john frusciante (solo shit), the mars volta, radiohead, ratatat, besnard lakes, dead weather, deerhunter, wolf parade... etc.

particualry im looking for stuff that has that "layered" texture, lots of delays,echos, droning noises, temolo, trippy stuff that sends your mind out guessing really, anything innovative

im open to suggestions, hoping this would be the right sub-forum
The Morning Benders are quite good. Also, Sunny Day Real Estate has that sound but stay rooted in writing great songs with melody and not going too overboard.
Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky. Basically look up Post-Rock.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
post-rock - scene that eschews traditional rock conventions while still, at least in the beginning, using traditional rock instrumentation. check out Tortoise, the last couple Talk Talk albums, and Slint. it is a broad genre, but a good chunk of newer post-rock bands are quite formulaic.

those bands could very well fit into what you are looking for.

perhaps also of interest, but unrelated to post-rock: A Sunny Day In Glasgow. Galaxie 500. Spiritualized + Spacemen 3.
Check out "Primary Colours" by The Horrors.

I think it fits your description exactly, great album.
Efterklang
Seabear
Broken Social Scene
Jonsi
Last edited by Meatball200 at Jun 20, 2010,
On some good Indie Modern Rock Bands:
The Strokes
The Hives
The Airborne Toxic Event
Still Life Still
Arcade Fire
Cage the Elephant
Local H
Modest Mouse
Phoenix
Cake
Carolina Liar
The Dandy Warhols
Quote by uhh_me?
post-rock - scene that eschews traditional rock conventions while still, at least in the beginning, using traditional rock instrumentation. check out Tortoise, the last couple Talk Talk albums, and Slint. it is a broad genre, but a good chunk of newer post-rock bands are quite formulaic.

those bands could very well fit into what you are looking for.

perhaps also of interest, but unrelated to post-rock: A Sunny Day In Glasgow. Galaxie 500. Spiritualized + Spacemen 3.

yeah, I agree with the bit about the new bands. They usually just have cryptic song titles and boring instrumentals. And download some K.C. Accidental.
"discos are preparing our youth for the reaction speeds neccessary for world war 3."
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
i never understood that whole post-rock term, what does that even mean, without going to offtoopic if you dont mind

Well, in brief, 'Pre' means before (example- 'prechorus' is before the chorus) and 'Post' is just the opposite. (example - 'postchorus', which is the end of the chorus)...so Postrock indicates that the song more concludes with the ROCK genre...(i hope i helped a bit).
I saw Rubik open for a band last week. They were pretty awesome, so i'll recomend them.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
so what you're saying is that, after getting out of the water naked with 5+ guys, you thought that once the girls were around you had better get some clothes on?

I got so excited that someone is interested in shoegaze, that I didn't even read other replies so I apologize if someone has already recommended...

Drop Nineteens
Ulrich Schnauss
My Bloody Valentine

The list goes on and on.
Krautrock. Guru Guru.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. I can't recommend a single song, I love every one. But you can start here if you want.

Wolf & Cub, especially their song Master.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

And Helios

Lemme know if you want more.
Quote by AronRa (Youtube user)
It is better to be proven wrong, than to forever be wrong, and never know it.

Quote by Meths
Bill Hicks rules.

I hate my user name >_<
Try Battles. They aren't as ambient, which is more what you seem to be looking for, but they're very experimental, and they're one of The Mars Volta's favorite bands.