So I was playing my bass and I set it down for awhile (like 15 minutes) and when I pick it back up, and it started to buzzzz real loud. I was like wtf!!! I try different cords to see if the cord was jacked up but now im starting to think my 400-500 dollar bass is ****ing up since christmas! I'm npw suppecting it's either the pickups or the cord jack. I need answers. Help!!

this is the bass I have:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Goth-Thunderbird-IV-All-Access-Bass-Pack-773179-i1375983.gc

I haven't bought any new amps, it's that small as s 10w amp.

Thank you.
It's okay. You're very young. But that's okay. Just defenestrate both the bass and the amp, and that should clear up the problem one way or another.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by strat105
Defenestrate?? Elaborate please.

The act of throwing something out of the window. Probably what I'd do if I owned a Thunderbird.

No, but seriously, it's more likely the amp than the bass. And regardless of which one it is, it'll probably just be a loose wire that needs soldering, no big deal.
Quote by Ziphoblat
The act of throwing something out of the window. Probably what I'd do if I owned a Thunderbird.

Precisely. I like to think I offer rather sage advice.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Yeah, I'm not soldering the wire **** that, I happen to like my bass, and I don't have a ****ing warranty so i'm ****ed pretty much. I don't think it's the amp though cuz the amp works, but when I strum a string, the pick up doesn't pick up the noise for it to come out. Well it does but you have to put your ear up to the amp to be abble to hear it!
Yeah, soldering is really hard. It takes all of 10 seconds to reattach a wire solidly and safely.

Get another bass and try it with your amp. Get another amp and try it with your bass. Then you can say whether it's the amp or the bass which is at fault.

Quote by strat105
Yeah, I'm not soldering the wire **** that, I happen to like my bass, and I don't have a ****ing warranty so i'm ****ed pretty much. I don't think it's the amp though cuz the amp works, but when I strum a string, the pick up doesn't pick up the noise for it to come out. Well it does but you have to put your ear up to the amp to be abble to hear it!

Borrow another amp or find another amp somewhere and run your bass through it to find out whether it's the bass or the amp.

Then take whichever is faulty to a repair shop and ask them to find out what the problem is. It'll probably be a loose wire, in which case they'll solder it for you for peanuts.
I'm going to guitar center tomorrow, so hopefully i'll find out what the problem is. I know how to solder, I make modded xbox 360 controllers but this is a guitar and if I screw up i'm of a 400 dollar bass. Thanks for the replys, and i'll find out tomorrow. I'm also going to check before I go cuz it could be one of those things, it stops working and then you just let it sit and when you pick it back up it's fine. If thats ever happened to you, haha.
If you are a 'pretty good' guitarist (according to your profile Jeff) then maybe it's time for an upgrade.

This might be way off bass here (haha, bass forum pun.) but, I was having a similar problem with my widow a while back, and it was buzzing like a SOB; and I swore it was the pickups on my bass or a wire or blah blah blah, then i tried replacing the battery for funsies, and that fixed it. So idk if your T-Bird has a battery or not, but hey, it's worth a shot right?
My Gear:
Fender Squier VM Jazz Bass
ESP LTD B-5E
ESP LTD EC-330FM
Ibanez RGD7421
Jackson DXMG
Line 6 Pod X3
Oh, I also tried both of my guitar amps it still didn't sound when I strummed the strings.
No, But my amp has a fuse maybe the fuse is messed up, but if it was would the amp not work?
same thing happened to my ibanez gsr200, i just unscrewed the pickups and put em back in and it works fine
Have you opened up the control cavity to check if you have a loose wire?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
No, Because I'M scared screw it up. Which is the control cavity. The plate with screws on the back of the bass?
look man guitars aren't exactly voodoo magic. There are like 6 wires in there that are fairly well spaced apart. And if you mess up a solder your not out a $400 bass, your out, at the most, a $4 pot.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by strat105
No, Because I'M scared screw it up. Which is the control cavity. The plate with screws on the back of the bass?

Yes, unscrew the plastic cover on the back and remove it. Check all the wires and solder joints and make sure they're a-ok. If you have a loose wire, simply solder it back into place. You really can't screw it up or damage your bass in any way unless you attack it with the soldering iron or stab it with your screwdriver
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Might i ask which thunderbird you paid $400 for? All mine except the pro and blackbird were 300. And thats propobly a loose wire in the bass
Really man, if you can mod xbox controllers. dont be scared of looking in the bass, even if its just to confirm wat's wrong with it...if I can resolder a bass, then anyone can

good luck bro, and even tho its not a bass I'd choose, I hope you get it working, cuz not having a working instrument is a bummer
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by Thunderbird660
Might i ask which thunderbird you paid $400 for? All mine except the pro and blackbird were 300. And thats propobly a loose wire in the bass

The bass I have is in the description, it is the link
Quote by nesveikuolis
My money is on:
*Amp is recieving too much input, preamp fail.
*Shittly cable is shitty.

Yeah, but I tried ALL my cables, and I know all of them are not f ucked up
after looking at the link im willing to bet its the cable or amp. those packs dont come with the best quality of anything generally.
if its a problem with the bass is a quick solder, but it might be the cable going from your guitar to your amp i got this a lot and then took the plunge and bought a more decent set like planet waves ones.

But if your not sure bout whats actually wrong maybe you should talk to a tech thats another option they have and once they diagnose the problem they can fix it or you can DIY it cause if its a bass job its not rocket science just basic eletronics you learned in physics at school tbh.

If its the amp its a whole diffrent kettle of fish.Also how have you not got a warranty? the warranty of instruments i bought (in the UK anyway) it tends to be the store who deal with it.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
I took it to guitar center, and it was a loose wire that connects to the input jack for the bass. I'm back to jamming. Thanks to all the suggestions, I appreciate it guys.

+1
Quote by Razgriz_101
if its a problem with the bass is a quick solder, but it might be the cable going from your guitar to your amp i got this a lot and then took the plunge and bought a more decent set like planet waves ones.

But if your not sure bout whats actually wrong maybe you should talk to a tech thats another option they have and once they diagnose the problem they can fix it or you can DIY it cause if its a bass job its not rocket science just basic eletronics you learned in physics at school tbh.

If its the amp its a whole diffrent kettle of fish.Also how have you not got a warranty? the warranty of instruments i bought (in the UK anyway) it tends to be the store who deal with it.

My mom bought it for me online and she didn't buy one, and now we can't. So thank god it was just a wire problem 'cause they did it for free, sighh.