.. the one thing I would change would be to learn my open chords (A, Am, C, D, Dm, E, Em, G) WITHOUT using my index finger. This would have allowed me to very easily barre any fret, and play these formations opening up a whole lot of chord voicings.

I now always play my A, Am, E, Em without my index finger but I wish someone would have said "even tho it's easier to play a C like that now, play it like this and then later, you can do this!"

Also, I wish I would have practiced my fingerpicking like I do now, with the thumb handling the E and A strings, then the four remaining fingers dedicated to one string each.

If you could go back and talk to yourself as a brand spankin' new guitar player, what advice would you give yourself?
I would have started learning theory on day one. I wasted lots of time just learning songs and never piecing together what exactly made the songs "click."
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by squidlips
.. the one thing I would change would be to learn my open chords (A, Am, C, D, Dm, E, Em, G) WITHOUT using my index finger. This would have allowed me to very easily barre any fret, and play these formations opening up a whole lot of chord voicings.

I now always play my A, Am, E, Em without my index finger but I wish someone would have said "even tho it's easier to play a C like that now, play it like this and then later, you can do this!"

Also, I wish I would have practiced my fingerpicking like I do now, with the thumb handling the E and A strings, then the four remaining fingers dedicated to one string each.

If you could go back and talk to yourself as a brand spankin' new guitar player, what advice would you give yourself?

i'm actually pretty satisfied with the way i did things. maybe learn a little more jazz, though.

there's nothing wrong with using your index for open chords. i certainly do. in fact, i don't think i play any open chords without my index, and i can barre effortlessly. there's no reason for you to have to change your entire style - you can learn it pretty quickly if you're good at barring.

Quote by hockeyplayer168
I would have started learning theory on day one. I wasted lots of time just learning songs and never piecing together what exactly made the songs "click."

not sure about this, honestly. i mean, i started playing guitar in december '07, and i didn't start learning theory until july '08. worked fine for me. meh, idk. i guess it's based on the individual. that's what makes these kinds of things difficult.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Last edited by AeolianWolf at Jun 17, 2010,
Quote by hockeyplayer168

This!
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by squidlips

I actually started off quite well as a guitarst...I do wish however I could have gone back to my inactive periods and kicked myself in the butt to practice id be better if I did.
Learn the notes of the fretboard! I would like to be able to an A or G or C note, rather than 7th fret 3rd string or whatever it might be...
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by AeolianWolf
i'm actually pretty satisfied with the way i did things. maybe learn a little more jazz, though.

there's nothing wrong with using your index for open chords. i certainly do. in fact, i don't think i play any open chords without my index, and i can barre effortlessly. there's no reason for you to have to change your entire style - you can learn it pretty quickly if you're good at barring.

Say you want to play Fmaj, at the moment I can easily grab

|-1-----|
|-1--10-|
|-2--10-|
|-3--10-|
|-3--8--|
|-1-----|

however if I had learnt the open chords without my index I could just as easily grab

|-8---5--5--13-|
|-10--6--6--10-|
|-10--5--5--10-|
|-10--7--3--10-|
|-8---8-----12-|
|-----------13-|

as an A, C, D and G shape respectively just barring in different spots. I can play the chords now, however not as fluently as I would like.
Quote by squidlips
Say you want to play Fmaj, at the moment I can easily grab

|-1-----|
|-1--10-|
|-2--10-|
|-3--10-|
|-3--8--|
|-1-----|

however if I had learnt the open chords without my index I could just as easily grab

|-8---5--5--13-|
|-10--6--6--10-|
|-10--5--5--10-|
|-10--7--3--10-|
|-8---8-----12-|
|-----------13-|

as an A, C, D and G shape respectively just barring in different spots. I can play the chords now, however not as fluently as I would like.

...so practice. you're not going to die tomorrow, are you?

you could take a knife and cut shapes out of your finger to allow you to play a certain chord. assuming you found a way to stop the bleeding, you'd get used to it. you don't need to relearn your open shapes -- just practice the other barres.
Quote by AeolianWolf
not sure about this, honestly. i mean, i started playing guitar in december '07, and i didn't start learning theory until july '08. worked fine for me. meh, idk. i guess it's based on the individual. that's what makes these kinds of things difficult.

I'm talking about wasting like 6 years.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
I get where you are coming from, and I think (hope) you and everybody else gets what I mean.

This is all good stuff!

Analyse songs, learn the notes of the fretboard, have a few lessons, and play jazz!
Quote by hockeyplayer168
I'm talking about wasting like 6 years.

oh. oh, that is quite different from 6 months. yeah, i probably wouldn't advise that.

TS, if this is all about improving yourself as a guitarist/musician, be objective in your self-criticism. ask yourself where you really need improvement, and be honest and objective in your answers. once you've figured out what you'd like to work on, just work on it.
If I was to start again, I'd make sure I'd learn to sing at the same time.

Otherwise I'm just fine with how I progressed. I was recruited into bands with older people from early on and taught myself everything through necessity. Eg. Hey my solo doesn't sound good in that song - is there a different scale I can learn for it? (My introduction to major scales).
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud