Page 1 of 2
So, yeah... I got a summer job as a cart pusher (its not bad, I don't have to deal with many people and my co-workers are friendly albeit somewhat useless at times) and... I just got chewed out by management. Here's the story...

So, its 8:31pm and I leave at 9pm. I need to take a dump, so I decide I'll kill two birds with one stone, and take one of the blue trolleys we store in the back from the parking lot on my way to the bathroom, also in the back of the store. I do this... and then proceed to take my dump (not a grandpa dump or anything, just a paced dump. No rushing, no time-taking) and get to the front of the store again at 8:45pm.

There are two of us working the parking lot, so we split it in half and cover our individual sides. Not 15 minutes before, when I'd left my side, it was spotless. Free of garbage, free of carts, very few cars even, nothing spilled, etc.

Upon my return, I'm promptly chewed out by my hot although utterly incompetent supervisor. She claims she's been searching for me, for 45 minutes. And then she just gives me a barrage of shit about how I'm always late (I've worked 3 weeks, I was late twice (my first two days, getting sleep acclimated)) and that I take too long to return from lunch (I've returned more than 5 minutes late only one time (also within my first two days)) and that I'll be timed from now on very closely because of my disregard for the rules. All this, after receiving backpats and "atta boy"'s from just about everyone else. According to everyone but the two utterly worthless supervisors there tonight... I'm a great worker, a good employee.

So then, I take my last break (there's a tedious explanation, but 7 - 8 hour shifts get two 15 minute breaks and a 1 hour lunch period) and I'm informed "You can't take your last break during the last 15 minutes." I just laugh and say "That's what you think." Seeing as it's the rules (which are enforced by law, so I'm told) that we HAVE to take them. This was stressed so many times in orientation, possibly more than the lifting regulations bull****. So, they didn't like it, but I took my break.

They later told me the lot was "Completely FULL!" and that the only other cart pusher was on lunch. 1. Why would you just send him off to break when the other guy is taking a dumping WITHOUT having used his last break of the day? 2. Why would the lot go from tumbleweeds to packed, on Thursday night, with less than 1/8th of the parking filled, in 15 minutes? Sure enough, I go outside to find maybe 20 carts... IN THE WHOLE ****ING PARKING LOT.

Sorry for the Great Wall of Text, but I just had to vent that somewhere.

tl;dr I work at Wal-Mart, my hot supervisor is mentally incompetent and teamed up with the second most useless person to bitch at me and lie about me, because I was gone for 14 minutes taking a dump.

Sam Walton edit: P.S. said parking lot spans like 3 acres of flat ground
Last edited by CraZyB0y at Jun 18, 2010,
My roommate works and Wal-Mart and hates it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Take a dump in the cart.

Seriously though, why would you want to work as a cart psuher, or at wal-mart? Thre are so many better jobs out there.
I expected the Scooby-Doo copypasta half-way through that.

I was disappointed not to find it. :/
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
They're the first ones who called.

...It's not like I quit looking for jobs, but they're scarce.
Apply to become your supervisor's supervisor. Get the interview done right and GET the job, now all you have to do is let her know what it felt to be a cart pusher.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Take a dump in the cart.

Seriously though, why would you want to work as a cart psuher, or at wal-mart? Thre are so many better jobs out there.

Better then working fast food. Seriously, any job you get as a teenager will suck, cart pusher isn't the worst thing you can get.
dude i worked their for a year at the worst one u could go to...incompitent brainless fools just wanting you too work work work of course the cart pushers there would take their break in winter all at once and they sent us out to get them..unloading trucks both sides mind you we had regular crap then had to go help the grocery side. barrage of bullshit on top of bullshit and a ****in manager that was so braindead we wonder how he's still living... he'd give out a list of orders come back 2 seconds later"..well,why isnt any of this done??" and putting up with all that non sense made me the pysho asshole son of a bitch i am today lol, o Idk what your hours were, i had 11 am to 8 pm every god damn day with 2 days off a week and said breaks in the day **** THOSE BALL LICKERS,that shit just cut into my guitar playing...whats really important..
Empire Records one of the best films ever.
His name isnt Warren.
His name isnt Warren.
His name isnt Warren?
I thouht his name was Warren?

"slayer sabbath:
whats wrong with metal, has this website been taking over by power chording, girl pants wearing, emos?"
Honestly, are you leaving out details to make yourself look better and make your supervisors look worse?

If not, that's a sucky job and I commend you.
Lucky you have a job, I've been looking for months but whenever I get close I get screwed out of it somehow.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I worked there for a bit last year. Pushing carts sucks balls, especially in freezing temperatures.

I've slit the throats of clergymen and governors
Those bloated swine...
May their screams unhinge a thankless crown

<= last.fm

Quote by Butt Rayge

Everyone is cunts.
Well I work at fast food, I get my ass chewed out by pissed off customers all the time. I am never late, I only get one 30 minutes break for an 8 hour shift, that is if I get one. I like what I do, I would like to get a better job but the Wal Mart here is not hiring and plus...my dad would be the suporvisor.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Honestly, are you leaving out details to make yourself look better and make your supervisors look worse?

If not, that's a sucky job and I commend you.

Nope, what you read (assuming you read the entirety) is exactly what happened. Not sure how clear it was, but for clarification I got chewed out twice. Once before and once after taking my break.

Quote by Tempoe
Being late your first 2 days, I would've probably fired you.

For 11 combined minutes, dude? (2 minutes late day one, 9 minutes late day two... Early every day since.)
Get on your supervisors good side and sleep with her..she will be easier on you after wards..also when it comes to work especially major corporations like wal-mart where corporate is constantly coming down on individual stores managers who in turn take it out on supervisors you will simply want to make it a habit of always being early..if you are scheduled to come in at 9 show up at 8:50. Another hard one is Lunch.. try to shave 5 min off of lunch.
Also have respect for company policy if they say don't take your break last 15 min of your shift then don't do it. The fact you said "we'll see about that" shows to me you have little regard for company policies.
Little things like this tend to be a real pain after a while and while it is unlikely it will get your fired it will make your work day harder when your supervisors/managers show up.
on multiple occasions, ive stood up for employees getting yelled at. It takes the person yelled at, and me (customer) to get the manager to listen to the employee. I've probably gotten at least 1 jerk fired by reporting "abrasive personality to the customer".

its fun. try it sometime.
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
I work at a movie theater making $7.25 an hour. Over the course of two weeks I work about 25 hours and come home with $167.38. I have asked for more hours on several occasions but have not received any, even after the manager repeatedly told me she would have me work more. Now last week I only worked about 9 hours and I'm only getting about 7 or 8 this week.

I constantly while at work have to take out six or more huge bags of trash on my own while the other person who is supposed to be helping sits outside on the curb and talks to his girlfriend while on the clock. I often have to clean theaters by myself when three let out at the same time. That same person gets more hours than everyone else that works there. He works everyday but Tuesday and Wednesday and his brother is the same except he has off Sundays and a weekday.

I think my job fucking sucks more than yours.

Two days ago I applied to Acme (grocery store) because I've had enough (and it's only been two months or so since I started there. The next day the manager from Acme called me. I have to sit up an interview tomorrow. I will more than likely make more money and receive way more hours a week than I did in two weeks at the movie theater.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
What do you expect? I work at Walmart, and overall like it. For a job, its not too bad. You push carts and should be (at least) making more than minimum wage. I live in PA, and I started at 8 dollars an hour. I worked pushing carts for 7 months, then moved on to the cash register and got a raise. There are definitely worse conditions to be working in. As far as management is concerned, that is the luck of the draw really. Its not "Walmart", its life. My management is pretty good as far as I am concerned, but I also do not dabble into anyone's private life as many others have done in before. In fact, I am very far removed from most people I work with.

Oh, and by the way. You're in the lowest position at the store and claim your a good employee, then you have a list of at least 5 offenses in 3 weeks of working.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Quote by Zayrank
Get on your supervisors good side and sleep with her..she will be easier on you after wards..also when it comes to work especially major corporations like wal-mart where corporate is constantly coming down on individual stores managers who in turn take it out on supervisors you will simply want to make it a habit of always being early..if you are scheduled to come in at 9 show up at 8:50. Another hard one is Lunch.. try to shave 5 min off of lunch.
Also have respect for company policy if they say don't take your break last 15 min of your shift then don't do it. The fact you said "we'll see about that" shows to me you have little regard for company policies.
Little things like this tend to be a real pain after a while and while it is unlikely it will get your fired it will make your work day harder when your supervisors/managers show up.

Dude, I'm working on it. About the other things, never until today did ANYONE clarify this. Never was I told "Oh, breaks and lunches are pre-scheduled" or "You can't take breaks at this time." Until tonight, we just took breaks and lunches in co-ordination with co-workers and what we felt like doing. It's seriously as if they just caught me away for a minute and decided to make up a couple rules to have an excuse to rake my ass.
Not trying to make you envious or anything. But, I make about $40 an hour at my job and I'm the boss.

I don't have to work in the cold. I don't have to push any carts. And it's not fast food.

I have my own desk. I have my own phone. I have my own computer. I'm the boss.

It's good to be the king.
Quote by RockGuitar92
I work at a movie theater making $7.25 an hour. Over the course of two weeks I work about 25 hours and come home with $167.38. I have asked for more hours on several occasions but have not received any, even after the manager repeatedly told me she would have me work more. Now last week I only worked about 9 hours and I'm only getting about 7 or 8 this week.

I constantly while at work have to take out six or more huge bags of trash on my own while the other person who is supposed to be helping sits outside on the curb and talks to his girlfriend while on the clock. I often have to clean theaters by myself when three let out at the same time. That same person gets more hours than everyone else that works there. He works everyday but Tuesday and Wednesday and his brother is the same except he has off Sundays and a weekday.

I think my job fucking sucks more than yours.

Two days ago I applied to Acme (grocery store) because I've had enough (and it's only been two months or so since I started there. The next day the manager from Acme called me. I have to sit up an interview tomorrow. I will more than likely make more money and receive way more hours a week than I did in two weeks at the movie theater.

...wut?

And that really sucks dude. My co-workers aren't THAT useless. I mean, sometimes they talk to people they know for a bit but that's no big deal. Sometimes they just get a little lazy or do things in unnecessarily complex ways that makes no sense. That's when I'm like
as much as you guys make fun of fast food jobs, mcdonalds is actually a really good place to work.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Not trying to make you envious or anything. But, I make about $40 an hour at my job and I'm the boss.

I don't have to work in the cold. I don't have to push any carts. And it's not fast food.

Quote by 20cdndollars
Better then working fast food. Seriously, any job you get as a teenager will suck, cart pusher isn't the worst thing you can get.

Oh? Long n Mcquade, Copps, Sunrise. They certainly didn't suck man.
Quote by CraZyB0y
...wut?

And that really sucks dude. My co-workers aren't THAT useless. I mean, sometimes they talk to people they know for a bit but that's no big deal. Sometimes they just get a little lazy or do things in unnecessarily complex ways that makes no sense. That's when I'm like

Yes, but I get no hours and barely make any money on top of the dick employees.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Quote by KG6_Steven

Sir, id like to shake your hand.
Quote by sliceofpizza
as much as you guys make fun of fast food jobs, mcdonalds is actually a really good place to work.

really?

i need a summer job. probably going to mow yards.
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Quote by rushpython
really?

i need a summer job. probably going to mow yards.

Yeah, that isn't true. My friends work there, they say it's terrible.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Oh? Long n Mcquade, Copps, Sunrise. They certainly didn't suck man.

Ok, MOST jobs you get as a teenager suck.

Quote by sliceofpizza

I have like 3 friends who work there and say it's awful and gross.
Quote by sliceofpizza

I disagree.

You work like a dog, take shit from customers because the place is busy and they don't get fed straight up, and you put up with tools who don't even know how to put a burger in a box. All for the sake of a few bucks.

Plenty of better jobs for kids if they look.

You also have dickheads who piss and shit all over the rest room.
I work at a hotel and I have sex with women who stay here.

I'm actually at work right now and i've been playing guitar all day since we havent had anyone check in all day.

My job doesnt suck, im just rubbing it in.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Nelsean

I'm actually at work right now and i've been playing guitar all day since we havent had anyone check in all day.

that can't be legal.
Quote by Nelsean

I fix airplanes and bang the ladies you do before you do. Ha. And I don't have to carry her bags either.

Ts. You got a job. Shut up already.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by CraZyB0y

So then, I take my last break (there's a tedious explanation, but 7 - 8 hour shifts get two 30 minute breaks and a 1 hour lunch period) and I'm informed "You can't take your last break during the last 15 minutes." I just laugh and say "That's what you think." Seeing as it's the rules (which are enforced by law, so I'm told) that we HAVE to take them. This was stressed so many times in orientation, possibly more than the lifting regulations bull****. So, they didn't like it, but I took my break.

Sam Walton edit: P.S. said parking lot spans like 3 acres of flat ground

Whaaaa Whaaa

that's not bad at all you get 2hrs total of your own time...
Then it's pretty ****ing obvious you don't take a breaks the last 15min of the day that' bad planing from your side and if i was the boss i would be happy to fire you.
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Quote by Nexium
Whaaaa Whaaa

that's not bad at all you get 2hrs total of your own time...
Then it's pretty ****ing obvious you don't take a breaks the last 15min of the day that' bad planing from your side and if i was the boss i would be happy to fire you.

Thus, why you are not the boss.

And how is it obvious when the entire lot is cleared almost completely? Its amazing cause 1. I didn't plan to do that, I just forgot I needed to. and 2. Despite it being "scheduled" they just... Don't say anything to me. I guess they assume that means I lose the break.

AND... Why is that my fault? They're supervisors who do virtually nothing. They walk back and forth, and talk to people. Occasionally they help a cashier fix a register but they're always carrying the time-sheet clipboard. God forbid they actually do a little co-ordinating.
Last edited by CraZyB0y at Jun 18, 2010,
To be fair, you really shouldn't act like that to your superiors even if you don't agree with them. Also, you should usually ask to go on break; you don't tell them you are. If you are going to go to the bathroom like that then you should probably tell a co-worker that's where you'll be so that they can tell your supervisor if they come looking for you. Even if you split the parking lot up between you and the other person you should always check to see if they could use some help when you're done. Especially if your side is fine. That way you would of found out that the other person was on break.

Even though you expect everything to go a certain way, it won't. You have to take steps to keep yourself from getting into situations like that. It probably doesn't help that you showed up late to work the first two days. You should probably get to work 10 or 15 minutes ahead of time. Don't take break at the end of the day (or beginning) no matter what either.

EDIT: I had the urge to post about your story after reading your replies to other people.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Last edited by RockGuitar92 at Jun 18, 2010,
I don't work at walmart and I could have told you that. I haven't read your post yet, but I've heard you don't get bathroom breaks there. Me and a friend proceeded to joke about shitting in the freezer section.
So yeah, I don't have anything to contribute other than that suggestion.
Page 1 of 2