I know this topic has probably been brought up 1,000 times here, but after HOURS of searching through threads, researching books, etc. I find myself overwhelmed. I've hit a rut in my playing, I feel like I cannot express any type of creativity. Basically I've settled on the fact that the I NEED to learn theory. I've read through a good portion of the threads/stickies on here, and that's a start I guess. Anyway, I'm looking for a good series of books that I can really delve into to help me get a grasp on all this stuff. I seem to take really well to books, as far as learning. Online tuts/informational pieces not so much..which is why I'm looking to for a good series of books. Like I said, I basically know 0 about applying theory to the guitar.

Any recommendations are appreciated.
You need to learn theory. You mean string theory? That's about guitar strings, I think. That would be a good place to start. You should try searching Google for 'string theory'.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
That's how I felt for a bit. Just jam with someone you'd never even consider. I'm coming from a blues background; jammed with a metalcore guitarist. An hour into the process, some newfound genius is flowing through my fingers once again; completely different than what I used to produce
"Play them blues, boy!"

Gear:
Peavey 6505+ head
Mesa 2x12
ESP Ltd EC 1000
Jackson King V
Jackson DKMG
Peavey Classic 30
Ibanez TS9
BOSS EQ 7
http://lessons.mikedodge.com

I wrote this for the guitarist who has hit a wall, and needs to fill in the gaps. It's helped a lot of people.

Read these links in this order since one picks up where the other left off: Intervals, then Chord Construction, then Diatonic Theory.

Reading them in that order will give you a good organized, ground up approach to music theory.

And read through each section at least three times. Nobody ever learn ed this stuff in one reading. Take your time, and put time into it, you'll be understanding and seeing things differently in a short time.
Quote by seemeel
You need to learn theory. You mean string theory? That's about guitar strings, I think. That would be a good place to start. You should try searching Google for 'string theory'.

lol clearly you don't know what string theory is.

the lessons on UG are pretty good for learning MUSIC theory. if you want to learn string theory go take a quantum physics class.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143