Well, I know the Pit isn't a great place for legal advice, however I'm sure someone else here may be familiar with my predicament.
So to keep it simple, tonight I got a ticket for going the wrong way on a one-way street. It was an unfamiliar area, dark out, and I didn't see a sign. The GPS said turn left, so I did. Turned out to be a wrong way, and a cop saw me and gave me a ticket. Sooo...
-Any idea how much this ticket will be?
-What can I expect insurance increase-wise? I have one other ticket on my record about a year ago, other than that I'm clean.
-From what I've found online, just paying the ticket may not be the best thing to do, since apparently I could get points on my license.
-This incident occurred in Lawrenceville, GA...about an hour from where I actually live.

Any ideas or help from anyone would greatly be appreciated.

EDIT-
Also,
I should probably add that the officer said I was "hauling ass" and could have also written a ticket for speeding, however she didn't mention a speed and I doubt I was going over the speed limit anyway, since it was a pretty tight, curvy road and I'm in an old heavy truck.
If I show up to court and fight it, can she pull that on me and I end up with 2 charges?
Last edited by FunkyFire at Jun 18, 2010,
never just pay for a ticket, thats an automatic guilty plea, always ask for a court date if they didnt give you one automatically, always show up that day, always plead not guilty.

upon pleading not guilty they will give you a trial date, where you can show up to court again and explain your side of the story.

trick is to keep rescheduling your court date, you want to make sure the citing officer doesnt show up, if he doesnt show up, ticket automatically gone.

i'm actually in a similar predicament for an illegal Uturn, my ticket is about 200 bucks, if this is your first offense, youre looking at maybe 300 bucks plus traffic school, to keep it off your record.

-edit
i should mention though... if you choose to not go to court and just handle this thing with a payment and automatic guilty plea, the amount you will be paying is the maximum amount of losses you can incur in this incident. so definitely weigh that in, if you are like a big time doctor or engineer who cant waste time going to court, just guilty plea it or whatever, but if you don't have a whole lot of money to blow, definitely go to court. there are also some intermediate settlement options, for example - reduced fines, community service instead of fine, etc.
Last edited by misterfarenheit at Jun 18, 2010,
Well, hmmm... I got a speeding ticket back in March, but I avoided all the penalties minus the fine.

Basically, you should have to go to the Town Hall or Police Station or some such for a small court procedure. In this procedure, you can admit to or fight the charges. They'll appoint you a local lawyer of some sort ahead of time, and this is usually good. You need to explain your situation very clearly and very honestly to your appointed lawyer and ask him nicely if he'll discuss dropping or decreasing the charges/penalties/fines with the officer. It worked for me, I escaped all points and insurance records, I just have to pay the fine, which is somewhat larger because they required me to take an online course/test of some sort.
Good luck, man.
yeah, try to fight it. i wouldnt hire a lawyer or anything, but show up for your hearing and tell them the same thing that you've told us. they might reduce the ticket so you dont get any points or drop it all together.

go back to the intersection where you turned and look for a sign. if there isn't a sign, or it is quite obstructed, take pictures and bring them to court with you.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
I FORGOT SOMETHING.

I should probably add that the officer said I was "hauling ass" and could have also written a ticket for speeding, however she didn't mention a speed and I doubt I was going over the speed limit anyway, since it was a pretty tight, curvy road and I'm in an old heavy truck.
If I show up to court and fight it, can she pull that on me and I end up with 2 charges?
no. after the inital traffic stop, everything is out of the cop's hands. cops will often tell you that you were doing something else wrong, but they are going to cut you a break so you just pay for the ticket. if you pay for the ticket before the hearing, they dont have to show up at court.

so no, you can not be charged with anything else now by the cop. the court could choose to charge you with something else, but if the cop didnt write you a ticket for speeding, there is no grounds for the court to be able to charge you with it.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Last edited by NoLaurelTree000 at Jun 18, 2010,