Last lesson my guitar teacher told me that there was a certain wiring scheme that was used on stratocasters to be able to switch from paralel to series wiring. Does anybody know how that is wired?

I'm thinking about building my own strat and I thought that that type of wiring would sound awesome. :P
Quote by jobbiesaus
I'm thinking about building my own strat and I thought that that type of wiring would sound awesome. :P

Why?

I think you need to do a bit more reading about wiring configurations before you start building your own gear.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Wiring isn't that complicated if you know how the parts work.

Essentially, each pickup has a start and a finish. When you put their starts together and their finishes together this runs them independently, allowing you to switch back and forth. This is called parallel and this is how just about every single guitar is wired.

The other way is called series, where you run one pickups finish into the other pickups start, so they are in a line, essentially creating one big pickup with one start and one finish.
It makes it sound darker and fuller.

And you don't even have to build a new guitar to get these cool new combinations! You can wire them into any guitar you feel fit, even with a switch that can switch back and forth from series to parallel.

If you decide to do anything else with wiring, or some diagrams or just general questions, head over to The Ultimate Guitar Wiring Thread and we can help you there.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by seemeel

I think you need to do a bit more reading about wiring configurations before you start building your own gear.

Hands on is the best way to learn. Albieit the most risky + costly.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Quote by seemeel
Why?

Why?
Ibanez AS73
Squier Blonde Standard Telecaster
Home built Telecaster Deluxe
Vox AC4TV amp
Vox V845 Wah Wah
Marshall reverb
Korg Pandora PX4 multi effects
Digitech Death Metal distortion pedal

God is busy, save yourselves!!!
I know people who can build guitars really well, but really aren't sure what does what when it comes to wiring.. so don't let not knowing how to wire things stop you from building :/

and if you want series/parallel wiring, then theres no reason you can't do it. just be aware that it takes a bit more work and a couple harder to find components.
but if you can follow basic instructions you can do it.

that being said..theres alot of different options for wiring a strat with series/parallel configurations..

if you want to look more into what those options are/what they'll sound like/how to wire them, head over to the wiring thread (theres a link in my sig, and monkeylink also posted a link to it)

we try to keep all the wiring questions in there, so I'll *report* this thread to be closed.
Last edited by james4 at Jun 18, 2010,