okay this is kind of stupid, but i was reading north korea's official website (and yes it is very outdated for a country's website) and they claim they have the lowest labor costs in asia, now thats not what im asking, but would most guitars be made in north or south korea, because now im beggining to belive that they're made in north
Eh.
I can't think of a reason for them to be made in N.Korea. So far google is showing me company sites for various manufacturers (LTD, Schecter, etc) having production in South Korea.

EDIT: And I'm sure trade issues, sanctions, N.Korea having forced labor (death) camps and all that don't sit well with legitimate business all around the world.
Last edited by celticstorm84 at Jun 18, 2010,
ummm.
hahahahaahahahahaha.
history is hard right.

lemme answer your question with a question. Which companies do you think would be producing guitars in north korea?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I accually thought agiles cuz there such a good deal and there has to be some SOME reason y they're that cheap, and if north korea says they have labor that makes dirt seem lavish, well damn that'd make sense
Eh.
With the US, North Korean goods have a ridiculous tariff. Not many countries actually trade with them, and not any companies invest in them. Any savings on production costs would be offset and more with trade costs.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
In general, if anyone refers to Korea, they mean South Korea. Very few places actually trade with North Korea, on account of western governments not wanting anything to do with a despotic regime.

South Korea make good guitars though, on a par with Japanese guitars of the same cost.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
IVery few places actually trade with North Korea, on account of western governments not wanting anything to do with a despotic regime.

that can't be it.

not wanting to have anything to do with a particularly bad authoritarian regime maybe. or maybe the communism thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Kurapica

South Korea make good guitars though, on a par with Japanese guitars of the same cost.

I'd disagree on the "on par" part. Yes MIK guitars are great but personally from what I've dealt with MIJ guitars quality are better. I know it depends on the brand and all that but yeah its still a huge factor. You also have to take the models into consideration (low end, mid, high, etc...).
Quote by MeLodicDethMTL
I'd disagree on the "on par" part. Yes MIK guitars are great but personally from what I've dealt with MIJ guitars quality are better. I know it depends on the brand and all that but yeah its still a huge factor. You also have to take the models into consideration (low end, mid, high, etc...).

I agree,the normal Ibanez's I've played doesnt even come near to my RGT prestige or even my RG1570,

but then again,they are in two different classes.
yeah, kurapica (as far as i'm aware) has been to korea several times and is talking about the non-export, higher-end korean-made stuff.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If it is make in Korea 99.999% it was make in the ROK Republic of Korea. The only thing to come from the north is loony toon leaders.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
When I first saw Made in Korea on a guitar, I had to check and see if North and South Korea became a single country again.

Schecter likes to clarify they have no relation with the communism of North Korea by clearly printing Made in South Korea on most of their guitars that are made there.

>_>
<_<

/troll
Quote by AcousticMirror
ummm.
hahahahaahahahahaha.
history is hard right.

lemme answer your question with a question. Which companies do you think would be producing guitars in north korea?

This. lol
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
i've got a rockin MIK telecaster.
kicks my strat around town, for what i do. never had any problems, havent even opened the back. MIA strat however, has had saddle problems
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, kurapica (as far as i'm aware) has been to korea several times and is talking about the non-export, higher-end korean-made stuff.

Yeah, indeed I am (and have lived in Korea for an extended period of time). But, what I'm saying still holds true. When you compare the same price stuff from MiK to the same price in MiJ, they are about equal. The thing is, a lot of companies make their mid end stuff in Korea and their high end stuff in Japan, so everyone just sees that. But if you're spending, say, 700 dollars, they will be of similar quality from both countries.

See what I mean?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I would be amazed if you could actually buy a guitar made in North Korea even if you sought one out. I have a Schecter supposedly made in South Korea, and I have no complaints at all with the craftsmanship or materials.
Rest assured, no guitars are made in North Korea. The only things that the North Koreans make under license are weapons - Russian and Chinese designs. Even if the state factories could be convinced to make guitars, they would be specifically North Korean brands and almost no one would import them due to trade sanctions. And given the fact that the country has no history of making musical instruments, I suspect that they would thoroughly suck.

The South Korean factories make some excellent guitars and basses - particularly the Fender MIK instruments.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Kurapica
Yeah, indeed I am (and have lived in Korea for an extended period of time). But, what I'm saying still holds true. When you compare the same price stuff from MiK to the same price in MiJ, they are about equal. The thing is, a lot of companies make their mid end stuff in Korea and their high end stuff in Japan, so everyone just sees that. But if you're spending, say, 700 dollars, they will be of similar quality from both countries.

See what I mean?

yep
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?