Poll: do you like greeters at stores?
Poll Options
View poll results: do you like greeters at stores?
Yeah, they make me feel welcome
6 6%
No, they're always a little disturbing
36 36%
eh, couldn't care less
30 30%
never been to a store with greeters, so imagine that they are two supermodels in thongs at the door.
29 29%
Voters: 101.
Page 1 of 2
Alright, so I went to the US last winter, and obviously had to buy groceries. From what I could remember as a kid, Walmart always had a pretty decent selection of things (I usually went to a store called "Fiesta", but that was in a different city).

So I went into Walmart, and was immediatly greeted by two employees. I thought "Hey, that's pretty neat" and continued to shop.

On my way out, the same two employees were still standing there, and wished me a good day with big (fake) smiles on their face.

That's when it got a little weird.

I mean, I'd heard that Walmart had people stand at the door before to great customers, but actually seeing the same people stand at the door and say exactly the same thing to every single customer when they actually couldn't give two shits about how your day really is really very, very weird, especially at a place that looks like this

instead of this

As I was walking to the car, I realised I had forgotten to buy something, so I went back in.
Again, like a robot, the same lines, the same gestures.
It was frigging creepy.

Does anyone else find greeters at stores creepy and unnerving?
its creepy but hey if you get paid for smiling then why not
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
yeah its annoying. but i think old people like it.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
I like that one really sweet old guy who works the graveyard shift greeting the door at Walmart. Those are always the best.

I don't really care either way though. I haven't been many places where they have them.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Yeah, I think it's pretty useless. I like it though when I walk into a small shop and the owner or an employee says "hi". It's a lot more personal because they actually care about you since you're their only customer.
I don't really care, but I do politely say "hi" and just go about my business. I think their time could be better spent elsewhere though.
hate it.
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by The_Casinator
Yeah, I think it's pretty useless. I like it though when I walk into a small shop and the owner or an employee says "hi". It's a lot more personal because they actually care about you since you're their only customer.

see, that's true. Because in that case, the owner actually cares that you're his customer, because he won't have 50000 others in the same day. If you forget something and come back, he'll most likely remember you, and if you go there regularly, will value you as a customer.

Even though it is essentially the same thing, the weight of both is completely different.

Quote by sugar_daddy
I found it super weird when I was over there, I'm sure it wouldn't work over here.

Hm, I've never been to a Walmart here in Germany, and I'm not sure if they still exist (they totally failed against Aldi), but if I find one I'm gonna go in and see if they have greeters here.

Because if there's one thing germans can't stand, it's strange people talking to them for no reason
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jun 18, 2010,
I use to think it was inspiring and a nice gesture. But then I started going to walmart nearly everyday, being greeted and asked how i'm doing by the same guy in a conductor's hat.

So now I try my hardest to avoid the greeters. I'm all for saying hello and being nice, it makes me feel good. But to the same dude, everyday...judging by the amount of times I leave my house this summer/talk to people, he's probably my best friend.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
this is the first image in google images when you type in "walmart greeter"

seriously walmart, what the ****. Now it really is creepy.
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
yeah its annoying. but i think old people like it.

Well it is the only place that people will talk to them, after their wives died and their children abandoned them for heroin.
1. Purposeful mispelling, Corey?
2. I voted "No"
3. lol at the fact that no one has voted "Yes" yet.

edit: What I mean is that I've never seen a greeter as a store.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Last edited by Pencil Man at Jun 18, 2010,
It's the worst when you're there at like 3 am, the place is empty and you make eye contact with them from like 200 feet away as you're walking towards the door. The long walk is very awkward and it gets even worse when you reach them and they say 'have a good one'.
PM me for newts
I've never met a greeter so big they could pass as s store....but we Americans are getting very fat these days. It could one day be a possibility
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Last edited by diofan88 at Jun 18, 2010,
They make great stores. I bought this one guy's heart last week at the doors of a Wal-Mart, now I have a spare when the disgusting crap I've been shoveling in my mouth tries to kill me in ten years.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
I don't mind it too much, I tend to always say hello and have a good day on my way out. And most greeters are people who were retired, handicapped, or mentally challenged. I think it's a good thing for them to do, even if it doesn't benefit every shopper. There's always been a greeter at walmart for as long as I can remember and I think people would notice if there wasn't one.
What happens if you greet them?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man

Does. Not. Compute.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
id hate it, i consider it slightly insulting on their behalf as well as the walmart (asda over here). i know they dont give a shit, they know they dont give a shit, their shift manager knows they dont give a shit and yet they still stand there and do it. i suppose some people would rather stand at the front and do that but id much rather they just ignored me.

we do have this really funny trolly pusher at ours though i think hes a bit mental and he says hello to everyone but the fact that he actually remembers most peoples names and always has some silly comment makes it pleasent rather than just irritating
It creeps me out a bit tbh.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Y'know what's fun? Going up to the smiliest, happiest looking store greeter in the place with a miserable look on your face and asking them if they sell black ties.

It really confuses them as to what would be the appropriate response. Their instincts tells them that this is not a moment that they should be smiling at you and acting all cheerful, but their training and sheer repetativeness of the job fights against this and you can actualy see their facial expression physicaly quiver as this internal altercation takes place.
Quote by Pencil Man

The world ends.

This is what happens when I get greeted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxFc1RMbko4

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Their job is pointless. They don't even do anything for you, like get you a cart, or hold open the door. They just say "hi." Also, it tends to be lowest of the low that shop and work at Wal-Mart, at least where I live. The greeters just mumble at you and the customers just give them the stink eye.
I've never been in a store with a greeter, but I hate any attempts to be friendly and cheerful when they're obviously neither. What would, in an ideal world, be an excuse for both of us to be relaxingly curmudgeonly and rude, is instead a depressing hollow imitation of a social situation where neither of us care about the other but have to pretend in vain that we do. I would kill a horse with a spade for one supermarket employee to say "here's your cunting groceries, now fuck off back to your hole you grotesquely ugly freak".
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jun 18, 2010,
Take a recording of yourself saying 'Hello' with you, play it to them and tell them that technology will soon replace them with machines.
You know they don't just stand there to greet right? They check your tickets and check for merchandise that isn't in bags. They catch more people than you think.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
I've only been to small shops where they have someone who greets customers, I don't mind it.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by shut_up_n00b
You know they don't just stand there to greet right? They check your tickets and check for merchandise that isn't in bags. They catch more people than you think.

This. It's supposed to put a "friendly face" on the company or whatever, although that doesn't work all that well since it's an incredibly boring job and it becomes increasingly difficult to be friendly.

But more importantly it's to avert theft but without the ominous tone of having an actual security guard standing there.

Also I think I said this, but I'll say it again. It's an incredibly boring job. I've done it a few times, not for over a year now though. The only way I ever made it through was by memorising the lyrics to long Iron Maiden songs and singing them in my head...

... and sometimes out loud. I was only caught once or twice...
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by Pencil Man

STFU Pencil Man, you are attempting to disrupt the space-time continuum.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

I've been that guy.

I made the role my own by slipping in wrong lines.

"Good morning. You have a fine gay day today, filled with lots of puffs, woofs and strawberry meringues."

"What?"

"Good morning, madam."
I think they keep them there because it cuts down on shoplifting.

Greeters gonna greet...
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ The aeroplane
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ flies high, turns
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ left, looks right.
its usually elderly people or the handicapped that are greeters in my area. i have no problem with them working that job, probably couldn't work much else to be honest. but i consider it more of a job for me, to stick around for more than just a "hello" and have a conversation with them. that way they get as much out of it as i do...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
It doesn't really happen here, I remember they used to do it in GAP, but that was ages ago. Only, in small, upmarket shops are there people greeting you, and usually they'll be there to offer you help, not just to say hello and goodbye.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Pencil Man

their circuits malfuction obviously.

edit: i think they're weird as well.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Page 1 of 2