Okay, I know how to read it, and I can work it out. However, I have my GCSE music exam today and I won't have a circle of fifths with me. In order not to waste time working out key signatures, is there an easy way to recognise what key is depicted?

Like, C has 0 sharps or flats. G has 1 sharp. Etc.

Is there an easy way to work out what key it's in quickly?

(Don't bother talking about the relative minors and stuff, once I work out the major key I can get it to the relative minor from there.)

Thanks for any help!
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
For sharp keys, look at the final sharp and raise it by a semi-tone, i.e from left to right

F#, C# & D# = E Major

For flat keys, look at the penultimate "Flat", i.e. from left to right in the key signature

Bb, Eb, Ab Db Gb - Db major

To remember the cycle of 5ths for sharps - Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle
F C G D A E B

For flats....

Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles' Father

B E A D G C F

Hope this all helps and makes sense
No worries, I remember doing GCSE music and you weren't taught the quick way!

I only learnt that during a diploma course
Quote by Lcollins1
For sharp keys, look at the final sharp and raise it by a semi-tone, i.e from left to right

F#, C# & D# = E Major

For flat keys, look at the penultimate "Flat", i.e. from left to right in the key signature

Bb, Eb, Ab Db Gb - Db major

To remember the cycle of 5ths for sharps - Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle
F C G D A E B

For flats....

Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles' Father

B E A D G C F

Hope this all helps and makes sense

I've never heard that method before...

So simple!

Thanks a lot
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
I always just stack fifths... Like in sharps:

C 0#
G 1#
D 2#
A 3#
E 4#
B 5#
F# 6#
C# 7#

You don't really need a circle of fifths for that if you understand intervals :]
And for flats you stack fifths downwards (or fourths upwards):

C Ob
F 1b
Bb 2b
Eb 3b
Ab 4b
Db 5b
Gb 6b
Cb 7b

Pretty easy for me

So lets say I see a key signature with 3 sharps, I start at C and stack 3 fifths on top of it, bringing me at A major or F# minor

When you do this enough you know it of the top of your head though, I don't really have to figure stuff out anymore... I just know. All I have to think about is if it is the minor or major key, or a mode even.
Last edited by KoenDercksen at Jun 18, 2010,
If you are reading in guitar, after knowing which sharp and flat are atributed to each key, you should try to read in position; if you know that there is only a Bb it is F major so you should read as you do but on an F major scale. If you know all the positions you cold easily move from diferent tonalitys without moving your hand.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay