So for the time being I'm a solo artist, and as such, I lack certain instruments that are critical to the recording process, most notably being drums. Now, I can't really drum anyways, but until I get a kit and start to learn, I need a program I can use to put together drum tracks for my songs. I used to use Acoustica Beatcraft a lot, but I've realized it's limitations. I'd really like a drum program that actually can come off as sounding real. The only one I know of like that is BFD, but the program is absolutely massive, and if I were to buy it (as opposed to "acquiring" it) it would be something like 120-200 dollars. So does anyone know any other drum programs of moderate prestige?
You should give this one a go. It has plenty of options and there are real kit recordings on it. Plus, it's free!

http://www.hydrogen-music.org/

EDIT: It does work on Windows. Just make sure you download the right file.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Last edited by sammo_boi at Jun 18, 2010,
Does Superior Drummer have the option to build your own tracks from the ground up?
Beatcraft is okay, but it's way limited on the kits you get and it's hard to get it to sound realistic.
Quote by mr7string
hands down EZdrummer

No, EZDrummer is terrible

Addictive Drums or Superior Drummer
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by mr7string
hands down EZdrummer

It's a great program for sure (anyone who says it's not annoys the hell out of me) but it's not the best anymore; it's a little dated but very cost effective and gets the job done. I'm saving up for Superior Drummer 2.0 at the moment so I'd just say, go with that.
Well I really need a drum program with a sequencer so I can build tracks from the ground up, and I don't know which have that option.
Basically all VSTi Drum Plugins (EZDrummer, Superior Drummer, Addictive Drums, BFD, Ect.) have that capability. They all are midi controlled so you'd build the beats within your DAWs Midi Editor.
what lockwolf said, although Superior Drummer, Addictive and BFD have full mixing and EQ etc capabilities inside the actual program, something that EZDrummer just doesn't have, which is kind of what makes it so dated.
Addictive is by far my favourite.

Tons of different kits, realistic sounds that sit much better in a mix than anything else I've heard, great sounding presets - and their 'mix everything inside the plugin' approach saves hours when putting together a mix.
I don't have experience with anything but Addictive Drums but I'm loving it man they sound so bad ass it's like having a real drummer with nice equipment.
I use Native Instruments Battery 3. Got it with the Komplete 6 package. It's got a very good library and it sounds very realistic.
Quote by Johnikker
I don't have experience with anything but Addictive Drums but I'm loving it man they sound so bad ass it's like having a real drummer with nice equipment.

AD with tempo and syncing to the host == ftmfw. Seamless transitions. I got a loop pack of around 2000 loops. can drop any type of drumbeat you want just by searching and *click*. I wish I had a few more kits though.
I've used Steven Slate Drums on my latest recordings, and it's by far impressive; check out my track "Ignis", I have been using Slate there.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Honestly, if you're good at writing MIDI and you have nice samples, it doesn't matter that much which program you use.
EZDrummer for something real simple and cheap but if you want really great, then Superior Drummer is the way to go.

Although, someone mentioned a reason why Superior Drummer is nice is because it has full mixing.

In anything that was actually a serious recording, I wouldn't ever just use EZDrummer and leave it at that. I'd save down each individual sound and stick it into a DAW.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Jun 20, 2010,
Quote by lockwolf
Basically all VSTi Drum Plugins (EZDrummer, Superior Drummer, Addictive Drums, BFD, Ect.) have that capability. They all are midi controlled so you'd build the beats within your DAWs Midi Editor.

This
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
Quote by sambot12
Honestly, if you're good at writing MIDI and you have nice samples, it doesn't matter that much which program you use.

Actually, it does mainly because the drum program is whats controlling the samples. Sure, you can use separate plugins to load the drum kits and play them that way but I usually find it to be a pain and not as real sounding as one of the Drum Sims.

Even with the ones out there, you've gotta be careful on which you get. EZDrummer has by far some of the worst drum samples I've ever heard yet everyone and their mother seems to use it.
Quote by lockwolf
Actually, it does mainly because the drum program is whats controlling the samples. Sure, you can use separate plugins to load the drum kits and play them that way but I usually find it to be a pain and not as real sounding as one of the Drum Sims.

Even with the ones out there, you've gotta be careful on which you get. EZDrummer has by far some of the worst drum samples I've ever heard yet everyone and their mother seems to use it.

Exactly. It's all about samples. I have the FPC that I can load samples into, map out, etc. But its a lot of work. When you have an idea, you want to just find the sound, find the pattern and go. Not map out the entire MIDI map. That's me at least. Plus the sync capabilities....