Hello,

I would like to buy head + cabinet. I need sth for heavy sound like (Pantera, All that remians). I was thinking basically about peavey. I heaven't play on it yet. If you have any experience with peavey can you please explain me what is the difference between 6505, 6505+ and 5150. About cabinet, is it ok if i use for peavey's head cabinet from other producent ? What is you opinion ? What would you preffer to buy ?

Please give me advice,
Thanks
6505 series amps sound amazing. Not so much the 5150 amps(even though I hear they are the exact same, they don't sound as heavy to me). This amp will definitely get you the all that remains sound, but I've never heard anyone use it to get a Pantera style tone, though it's probably capable of getting that sort of sound(Just put the mids on zero, treble at 10, lots of bass and lots of gain). I would get a 6505 or the 6505+. I don't really know what the difference between those two heads are, but I have heard both and they sound really nice.

And you can definitely use a different peavey cab, I even use a cab from a different brand and it sounds nice.
5150 is basically the same as the 6505, don't bother getting it thats my only info i have lol hope it helps
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Quote by jacksonDKMG
dimebag always used solid state heads thats my only info i have lol hope it helps

He used tubes at the end of his career with Krank.
Quote by Dio10101

oh yeah the krankenstein... but mostly solid state
the difference between the 6505 and the 6505+ (and the 5150 / 5150 II) is that the +/II models have separate EQ's for the clean and lead channels.

the 6505+ is capable of almost anything, it's a ****ing legend in the metal world.

and to jacksonDKMG - he just Krank Krankenstein later on (which is an all-tube amp).

EDIT: Damn, beaten to it.
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Guys, thanks for quick answer

Today i'm going to test 6505+ in guitar shop. I'm wondering which cabinets will sound good with that amp (Randall, Marshall, ENGL) ? I live in germany and here they preffer basically ENGL's amps. I tested one ENGL's amp so far and im my opinion it sounds better that Mesa Dual Rectifier (i'm talking only about heavy sound).

I have one more question: If i complete my equipement i need to also buy some multiefect. For rytmh i will use distortion from the amp but for playing solos i need some reverb and deley and so on... Which brand do you prefer (BOSS gt-10, Line 6 x3 live, ....) or maybe it better to just buy simple BOSS delay ?

Thanks in advance
ENGL's great too, and I would guess since they're made right there that they should be more comparable in price to peaveys. If you end up pitting ENGL against Peavey, I'd take ENGL. Hughes & Kettner also are a fantastic German amp maker, though I'm not sure what their prices are like over there. I would guess they'd be cheaper than they are here though.
Quote by Dio10101

Pretty sure he never recorded with them though, and it's debatable how much he used them live.

There is a live video on youtube where he can be seen using JCM900's though.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by johnson84
Guys, thanks for quick answer

Today i'm going to test 6505+ in guitar shop. I'm wondering which cabinets will sound good with that amp (Randall, Marshall, ENGL) ? I live in germany and here they preffer basically ENGL's amps. I tested one ENGL's amp so far and im my opinion it sounds better that Mesa Dual Rectifier (i'm talking only about heavy sound).

I have one more question: If i complete my equipement i need to also buy some multiefect. For rytmh i will use distortion from the amp but for playing solos i need some reverb and deley and so on... Which brand do you prefer (BOSS gt-10, Line 6 x3 live, ....) or maybe it better to just buy simple BOSS delay ?

Thanks in advance

What is your total budget? Do you gig? How important are cleans? Most any speaker cab will work as long as it matches the minimum requirement of the amp head. Yes cabs/speakers are important. Take good notes while you are at the store and play as much stuff as you can. Then, come back here and report what you found.

Also, whoever said the 6505 is heavier sounding than a 5150 doesn't know what they are talking about. It is just a name change.
Maybe its a preference for the peavey sound, but if I was given access to ENGL... I'd take it over a Peavey any day. Maybe you should look at something like a ENGL Powerball II or Special Edition

Since you're in Germany, I suggest you look up the H&K Coreblade as well.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 18, 2010,
Get the peavey 6345

Or if you have the money, get an ENGL SAVEG 120
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by Dio10101

And look what happened to him

Should'a stuck with the Solid State.
Quote by maddnotez
Get the peavey 6345

Or if you have the money, get an ENGL SAVEG 120

You mean 6534+, and ENGL Savage.

But I agree, OP, don't discount the ENGL stuff, it's very good. If you can afford it, look into Diezel amps as well... the Diezel Herbert is amazing for metal. Also check out Brunetti amps.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'm back from shop. I played on Peavey 6505+ with several cabinets. It sound the best with ENGL 4*12 cabinet. Tommorow i will go to shop an probably buy it Could you tell me what can i buy in addition (efects) for playing solos.
Didn't see it mentioned: Peavey 6505+/5150 II both have an extra AX7 preamp tube, which is helpful for achieving cleaner cleans. And yes, it does also have the extra channel adjustments and a better footswitch.

I'm getting a 5150 II tomorrow and i play all that good hardcore metal.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Quote by johnson84
I'm back from shop. I played on Peavey 6505+ with several cabinets. It sound the best with ENGL 4*12 cabinet. Tommorow i will go to shop an probably buy it Could you tell me what can i buy in addition (efects) for playing solos.

An OD pedal and a delay are always good.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Bugera 6262 is a cheaper version of the 6505+ and has better cleans, just so you know.
Quote by johnson84
Well you'll need some kind of a boost for solos. A lot of people use tube screamers and delay. But I would strongly recommend dropping another few hundred and get some rack gear. A good eq, compressor, noise gate is a good start. You will hear the difference. And yes BTW I did mean peavey 6534. Get that one.
H
Quote by Andrew/WK
Bugera 6262 is a cheaper version of the 6505+ and has better cleans, just so you know.

LOL....Don't do it. That's the same thing the salsesman told me. I hooked it up. Had the volume at 4. I'll admit its a good copy of the peavey for a lot less. But after a minute and a half of playin the tubes blew up it stopped working and that said it all. Lol the guy said Idk wat happened, we just got this in. I handed him back the guitar and left. They probably had the ohms all jacked up. Moral of the story. Don't buy a cheap knock off, but the real thing.
I bought Peavey 6505+ and ENGL (4x12 Vintege) cabinet. It sounds great For rythm game peavey's distorion is enough but i need somethig for playing solos, some preamp, efect. Currently i'm testing Line 6 POD XT Live but sounds a little bit not natural. I thought about boss gt-10. What do you think ? Maybe you preffer separate efects like : screamer + deley + sustaine ?

Please give me another advice ?
Thanks
Quote by johnson84
I bought Peavey 6505+ and ENGL (4x12 Vintege) cabinet. It sounds great For rythm game peavey's distorion is enough but i need somethig for playing solos, some preamp, efect. Currently i'm testing Line 6 POD XT Live but sounds a little bit not natural. I thought about boss gt-10. What do you think ? Maybe you preffer separate efects like : screamer + deley + sustaine ?

Thanks

Budget?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by maddnotez
H
LOL....Don't do it. That's the same thing the salsesman told me. I hooked it up. Had the volume at 4. I'll admit its a good copy of the peavey for a lot less. But after a minute and a half of playin the tubes blew up it stopped working and that said it all. Lol the guy said Idk wat happened, we just got this in. I handed him back the guitar and left. They probably had the ohms all jacked up. Moral of the story. Don't buy a cheap knock off, but the real thing.

Meh it's reliability problems were ironed out a long time ago. Not surprised about the tubes though. All bugeras contain shitty tubes with china. My advice would be to always replace them.

I'd rather have the "cheap knock off" as I've found it contains far more bottom end, a much better clean channel and it doesn't have shitty plastic hardware found on the peavey.

Don't get me wrong I think the peavey is awesome. Just don't base your opinion off one bad experience. The bugera 6262 is a fine amp.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by johnson84
500$

Are we talking Euro or USD?

I thought you were from Germany?

I personally don't like multiFX for ODs... it just sounds weak to me, like there's not enough push. Personally at that price range, I find Line6's POD series pretty epic.

I tried the Boss GT series tried (and also own one GT 3)... and I find the sound un-dynamic and somewhat processed.

I'd recommend single pedals, but I doubt $500 will get you very much. At the very least you should consider something like a Keeley modded DS1, Keeley modded MT2 for a different sound or a Lovepedal Kanji 9 for a lead boost. that will leave you with about $300... and I'm not sure how much more you want to get with the remaining budget.

If you're keen on multiFX... you should check out the Zoom G9tt.u (or something or rather), it's got a 12AX7 in the signal path, so your sounds are a tad bit more dynamic.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Dolars

And what do you think about BOSS ME 70 ? Do you have any experience with it ?
^look single pedals are better than a multi-effects board, especially if its just loaded with crappy distortion that your new amp can obliterate. Look at Wah's, Delay's and a decent Noise-Suppressor if you don't already have one for your Peavey

EDIT: Yes buy a tubescreamer or a clone, maybe a Maxon OD808
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Last edited by Guitar-KID125 at Jun 22, 2010,
Quote by johnson84

The exact setup I use
I will go to shop and test some efects. I'm going to mostly BOSS :

- GT-10
- ME-70
- Digial Delay + Noise Sustainer + Screamer
Quote by jacksonDKMG
dimebag always used solid state heads thats my only info i have lol hope it helps

But why would you like to sound like him anyway, he had shocking tone

/Generic response.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Guitar-KID125
^look single pedals are better than a multi-effects board, especially if its just loaded with crappy distortion that your new amp can obliterate.

Rather sweeping statement. G-System? Axe-FX?
I think you mean, good single pedals are better than cheap multi-fx.

Oh and as for heavy amps:
Laney GH100TI
You can keep ya Peaveys.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 23, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard

Laney GH100TI
You can keep ya Peaveys.

Completely agreed, with both points.

TS, check out the TC Electronic Nova System. It's an excellent multi-FX unit, and inside your price range.

And as far as amps go, the Laney GH100TI is simply awesome.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Cathbard

Laney GH100TI
You can keep ya Peaveys.

Ya you got me there, at least i got my point across
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Quote by johnson84

Thanks

Hm... I was on youtube last night and I saw the VOX tonelab, looked like a decent pedal.

Its only like $200 also, might be worth while to check out?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Ill tell ya right now my friend. I just bought a 6505, and it is the heaviest thing I've ever heard. Killswitch, All That Remains, Parkway Drive, In Flames.. its amazing.

From my knowledge, a 6505 is just the 5150, because EVH OWNED the name 5150, so when he left Peavey he took it with him. Peavey renamed it 6505. The difference between the Plus, is that the Plus has a separate EQ for the "rythym" section.