Black EMG's
24 67%
White EMG's
8 22%
Other (post)
4 11%
Voters: 36.
Hey UG,
I just placed an order on an awesome new guitar, it's a 2009 Ibanez RG1520a, a limited edition Ibanez only available in Europe.

I already tested it in the shop last day, It's perfect, except for the pickups.
The stock ibby pickups aren't that bad in some types of wood ( for example, my RGA121 with the stock V7/V8 set sounds downright brutal), but I wasn't convinced by the IBZ/Dimarzio pickups in this basswood body.

I really hate the sound of Blackout pickups, so I'm gonna go with a pair of EMG's , 81 in the bridge and 60 in the neck to be exact. I used to own a LTD EX400 with a pair of those and it sounded downright brutal ( yeah I'm also gonna put this guitar in D standard probably, or even C standard, play some TBDM style riffs all night long ^^).

But the question is, should I get the standard black ones, or should I get funky, and order a pair of white ones.

With this guitar I think that those white ones look pretty clean, the guys from August Burns red also have solid colour guitars with white emgs, which is where I got the idea from. :p

Here is the standard guitar :

and here is a mockup of how it should look like:

also added a poll for your pleasure.

cheers
Orange Enthousiast.
The white looks a little bit strange, so I would go with black.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
hmmm..looks like black ones suit it better..

I agree with you,people are talking about ibanez V pups like they are crap..they are not,they were made to achieve a certain tone and it does that brilliantly..and they go really well with basswood..
here some pics of black EMG's on a mirage blue finish..not the exact finish but look somewhat *similar

its not my guitar BTW,i believe it was erock's..Found it off the internet
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 18, 2010,
It'll be a bitch to have it routed for a battery, but it should sound pretty good, i guess. Go with the black EMG's.
Black one would be better man, so it matches with the hardware and headstock. Like someone above me said, white looks a tad strange.

Tl;dr

black.

do it.
Steam ID
XFire profile

Quote by Delboyuk_01
I don't think you can go wrong with a Black guitar, white ones are almost as good but black ones are better, white ones just don't sound quite as good.
Quote by Dio10101
It'll be a bitch to have it routed for a battery, but it should sound pretty good, i guess. Go with the black EMG's.

there's plenty of space in the controls cavity, it's an rg series, not an S, it's a pretty big block of wood :p

and mm, that rg1570 does look awesome.
Orange Enthousiast.
Yeah, I dunno about whites.... I'd go with black pups.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by randomucker
buy either, and replace the EMG's in a heartbeat, not trollin'

Ever heard a EMG loaded guitar thru a ENGL amplifier? very rich, harmonic tone, and enough low end to make all the girls in the front row at a show orgasm ^^.

way more balanced sound then let's say a SD Custom or a JB for that matter imo.
Orange Enthousiast.
Quote by randomucker
buy either, and replace the EMG's in a heartbeat, not trollin'

why do you even bother to reply?

if he likes EMG's there must be a certain reason..just dont diss em cause you dont like em..TBH I dont like them either,but he asked for a colour not for a pickup..
Quote by archenemyfan
why do you even bother to reply?

if he likes EMG's there must be a certain reason..just dont diss em cause you dont like em..TBH I dont like them either,but he asked for a colour not for a pickup..

fair enough, probably not an appropriate reply on my part, but for the OP's own good, i was just adding a little comment, as truth be told, EMG's are pretty damn bad, but they sell like hotcakes cause of the endorsers they have. No big name artists actually use the stock pickups, they have them wound specifically to meet their needs and requirements, but label them and go on as if they're a stock set for marketing purposes, just fyi.

kinda like this ^^

bareknuckles are too expensive, I might consider looking into dimarzio's, preferably ToneZone/AirNorton combo, wouldn't those look good in white? :p

like this J Custom RG2808, yummy.
Orange Enthousiast.
first of all..good choice,dimarzios are great(better than EMG's IMHO)

secondly,it is really hard to tell actually,the J custom has a sort of purple finish,your one has a dark blue finish and I still think that black will be the best

actually, the blue is a lot lighter irl, it's like this:

I could also go the RG770DX way, and pick blue pickups:
Orange Enthousiast.
Quote by Jackamedmos
If you're not set on EMG's i would highly recommend you get some pink Dimarzios

yeah, but I don't want to play in a hair metal band and wear spandex all day
Orange Enthousiast.
Then don't

Or maybe even go tye-dye.

Green, yellow, pink, and light blue. half a bucker for each colour.