Greetings all,

I will be buying a 5150 combo most likely tonight, and it still has the stock Sheffield speakers. I've heard that they are kind of shit; mainly the treble is ice-pick-like. Which brings me to the question:

-What speakers would be best for my 5150 212 combo? I play prog-metal (Mastodon, Gojira) but I don't need THAT much gain. I also play a lot of lead based virtuoso material (Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, David Gilmour), as well as classic rock/blues rock (ZZ Top, Led Zep, etc), and some SRV.

-It's important to note that I will be performing a full retube with a matched pair of JJ 6L6GC's, three JJ ECC83S preamp tubes with one balanced for the phase inverter and two ECC832's. My goal here is to smooth out the sound, reduce the gain, and add more tone of course.

Thank you!
http://eminence.com/guitar.asp?speaker_size=12

I'd look through the specs on these. Obviously, if you're going for less gain/breakup, you want a speaker with more headroom.

On a side note - I own a pair of the Texas Heat 16ohms and they take a LOT of volume to breakup. running them with a Fender Champ 25se and a home made birch cab - very nice clean tone
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
uhh, Why are you buying an amp with that much gain if you don't want so much gain???
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
sounds like you should just pick out a different amp to me lol

but i agree with phatsack
Guitar Rig:
Fender Telecaster
Martin GPCPA5
Orange Rockerverb 50

Bass Rig:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V
Hartke HA3500
The reason I'm buying the 5150 is because I want the loud punch, brutal distortion for pinch harmonics/tapping/guitar-shenanigans, and I'm getting it for $500; a good deal, it seems. However, I don't need THAT much distortion, and I've heard the 5150 really has too much of it. So, I want to tone the gain down a little, and smooth it out so I can more readily play other styles than just metal.
You can dial in how much distortion you want, the 5150 does rock/hard rock very well.

Headroom is the amount of volume you get before breakup (overdrive). For example, your rhythm channel can be used as a clean, but doesn't have much headroom as it begins to break up pretty soon as you raise volume.

I would look into eminence or WGS speakers. Sounds like you want a pretty versatile setup, look into some vintage 30 clones. The WGS vet30 would be a great drop in replacement. The mid emphasis will definitely clear things up.
All you need to do is just turn down the gain knob :P but a tube and speaker swap will do it good, I use JJ's in my amps and I like them Contrary to what people might say (v30s or whatever), I do quite like the speakers that go in the marshall lead cabs with the 5150
My advice is this: Get the amp if it really what you want, play it for a few weeks and figure out what you don't like about the sound.

Then come back looking for tube/speaker help.

There's no point in changing so much so fast as you wont have a clue what each part change has bought to the party. Also if you are buying an amp and immediately needing to change things then I've got news for you.

You just bought the wrong amp....
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by halikus
if you are buying an amp and immediately needing to change things then I've got news for you.

You just bought the wrong amp....

+1

Also the 5150 isn't the ideal amp for Vai-esque virtuoso leads.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Halikus, I don't actually have the amp yet. I am basing my planned amp changes on what I have heard about the amp. Obviously, I need to play it first and actually figure out what I like and don't. However, I don't think I bought the wrong amp.
Quote by ragingkitty
+1

Also the 5150 isn't the ideal amp for Vai-esque virtuoso leads.

Buckethead used one during the '90s and he seemed to do fine.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Buckethead used one during the '90s and he seemed to do fine.

Seemed to. Massive room for improvements there.

Plus Buckethead and Vai's tone are quite different.

Not sure why you mentioned BH when I said Vai.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Virtuoso leads, man, virtuoso leads...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Virtuoso leads, man, virtuoso leads...

hmmm

IMO... that's like saying all metal sounds the same or like saying that a 6505 would be the ideal amp for Lamb of God... but meh.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )