Page 1 of 2
If anyone wants to comment on how awesome Dream Theater is, then respond to this thread. They're the best freaking band in the world surpassing all of those overrated bands. Each member is a god at there instruments. If you don't like them, then please don't post on this thread, only nice things please.
My Fave Band, And Jp Is My Hero.
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
PRS Custom 24
SX Strat

Peavey 6505+
BUGERA 333XL
Laney LA412 Cab
Marshall AVT100 (Living at my friends place :P )
Quote by DT Forever
Each member is a god at there instruments

No, I don't think this is true. I rate Portnoy as the greatest drummer in the world. Petrucci is amongst the greatest 'shredders' (because you can't compare him to players like Page or Gilmour) and Myung is one of the very best modern bassists. James la Brie, on the other hand, is a competent but not brilliant singer, and the same goes for Jordan Rudess as a keyboardist. Very good, but not brilliant.

In any case, I think Dream Theater are the most technically proficient band in the world, and that their Dark Side of the Moon cover record was superb (the best I've ever heard). I love 'The Spirit Carries On' (and I've almost got the solo sorted out) and I think that 'Stream of Consciousness' is the greatest rock instrumental ever. Scenes from a Memory is a masterpiece.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Dream theater are kind of a very mainstream sort of prog at this point, however...
Not that they're bad, they're just doing a lot less innovation nowadays and a lot more feel-good bad-ass metal riffing with strange time signatures.
I do basically love everything Seemel mentioned though.
Last edited by IROn 5L1nKY at Jun 18, 2010,
JR has a specific nickname. The keyboard wizard! And I don't think people would give him that name for just no reason. If you watch him play live then you'll see. He has some of the fastest fingers I've ever seen.
There's better prog metal out there, and a shitload better prog rock.

They're alright.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Dream Theater is amazing, and my favorite prog metal band, but James LaBrie sort of ruins it for me.
has anyone heard any of the songs off of their first album, When Day and Dream Unite? I haven't and I was wondering if they were any good. I've heard they were good but I'm not sure.
You would think that all their technicality would help then write a decent song.But they just stick with musical masturbation,shitty ballads and generic prog metal riffs with a few notes taken out to put them in an odd time signature.Oh my
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Oh riffmast. Creative songwriting doesn't make the fanboys hard and sells records and seats does it? Now why would they do that when they can make another piece of shit album and become even more famous and rich?

Sumdeus
Didn't Mike Portnoy join Avenged Sevenfold? lol
Quote by Steve08

I think he's filling in for their now deceased drummer on A7X's latest tour or something... Not a huge fan of the band, but I guess having a super ****ing technical drummer play with them can't hurt...
he probably annoys the shit out of them when they jam, though:
"HEY GUYS! WHAT IF IN THE MIDDLE OF THIS SONG, WE SWITCHED TO 7/16 TIME?!?!?!!"
Well being "Progressive" is the new big trend in mainstream metal so they would probably be down,what ever will make them money you know.
Quote by Steve08

5 bucks their next album will have a 15 min song featuring Mikael Åkerfeldt.

Sumdeus
Probs,and Prog fans will rave so hard about how they took standard riffing and took a 16th note off the end to make it progressive.
Quote by Steve08

and then M. Shadows will feature on an Opeth album and him and Mikael will do vocal harmonies .

Sumdeus
Not looking forward to those nasally harmonies...

(why is this in the other forum, there's a DT thread in the shred forum)
There's less fanboys here, so we can make fun of them more easily.

Sumdeus
Quote by Deplorable
I like DT

lolfag

Sumdeus
wait,more dt threads to go make fun of them in ?
Quote by Steve08

I've heard rumors that Dream Theater is not making another album. If anyone has any information please post it because I want another album out so bad
Quote by DT Forever
I've heard rumors that Dream Theater is not making another album. If anyone has any information please post it because I want another album out so bad

They're not making another album at the moment... You can't write all the time.

By the way, I like Dream Theater and the fan-boy jokes make me sad
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Alter-Bridge
By the way, I like Dream Theater and the fan-boy jokes make me sad

lolfanboy

Sumdeus
Have they gone through there tour for Black Clouds & Silver Linings yet? If so was it a good tour because I've heard it was to be one of the best. I also want to know people's fav albums. Mine are Octavarium, then Six Degrees of inner Turbulence.
That ones sick,i love the lack of wankery or shitty ballads.
Quote by Steve08

Page 1 of 2