Poll: Do you think corporal punishment is abuse of power by teachers?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you think corporal punishment is abuse of power by teachers?
Yes
32 82%
No
5 13%
Joke option
2 5%
Voters: 39.
This is the initial article:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/kolkata-/Rouvanjit-suicide-case-NCPCR-finds-La-Martiniere-school-guilty/articleshow/6037441.cms

The aftermath:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/kolkata-/La-Martiniere-bans-corporal-punishment-after-students-suicide/articleshow/6063790.cms

In a nutshell, an 8th Grader was caned for some minor lapse of discipline by his teacher. A few days later he proceeds to commit suicide by hanging himself. It was concluded that his suicide was a direct result of the corporal punishment he received.

And now, corporal punishment is strictly abolished in my country (well, mostly).

Thoughts?

Do you think corporal punishment is abuse of power by teachers?
I personally think it is. Beating a child is horrible and may be mentally scarring.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

"It was concluded that his suicide was a direct result of the corporal punishment he received."

Where's the proof?
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
I don't know how you can determine the suicide being a direct result, but regardless, corporal punishment is totally unnecessary. It's just not appropriate in an academic learning environment.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Its an isolated case, therefore it can't really be strongly opposed. I mean, I'm happy there's no corporal punishment in our country, but saying that, if it was adopted by my old highschool, any teacher that raised a hand to a student would get the living shit kicked into them. I guess its just the norm over in the continent. Live and let live really. It doesn't sound like he was particularly singled out.
Quote by seemeel
"It was concluded that his suicide was a direct result of the corporal punishment he received."

Where's the proof?

TBH, I'd imagine since it says somewhere "after months of humiliation".
While beating may have contributed to the suicide, the fact that he was apparently victimised over a long period shouldn't be overlooked either.
Quote by seemeel

Where's the proof?

The child's depression after being caned?
He said he did not want to go back to school because of the humiliation after and before the incident.
Quote by thanksgiving
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

If something like that made him kill himself, then he must have already been pretty fucked up to begin with.
Quote by shattamakar
The child's depression after being caned?
He said he did not want to go back to school because of the humiliation after and before the incident.

You said:

Now you said that he didn't want to go back to school. That's a fairly big leap of faith, if you ask me. Don't make wild claims.

Maybe this sounds a bit clinical, but it's natural selection at work.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by Thrill-house
If something like that made him kill himself, then he must have already been pretty fucked up to begin with.

He was full of life and fun

Brother Rukhenjit, 18, and sister Raiheth, 16, described their kid brother as someone who “made friends with everyone from six to 60”, was “always playing pranks” and “taking up challenges”.

This is about the kid. Looks like he was just a normal naughty 13 year old.
Quote by thanksgiving
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

Quote by seemeel
You said:

Now you said that he didn't want to go back to school. That's a fairly big leap of faith, if you ask me. Don't make wild claims.

Maybe this sounds a bit clinical, but it's natural selection at work.

He did not want to go back to school because of the beating, brah.

At least thats what is inferred from the facts of the case.

I'm opining like anyone. Stop taking my words at face value and read the article properly and form your own judgment.
Quote by thanksgiving
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

Last edited by shattamakar at Jun 18, 2010,
Quote by red157
Isn't that the point of corporal punishment?

Weed out the weak so only the strong survive to adulthood?

Darwin would be proud.

I wouldn't call it abuse of power, but it is a backward and awful method of dealing with misbehaviour at any age, but much moreso with children.