Hey guys.
This time i want to ask grunge guitar lovers what pickups do they use? I was wondering if single coils are good for grunge? I play that Punk kinda grunge, not metal kinda grunge if you know what i mean. Bands like Mudhoney or Nirvana. And i dont really have much money to buy me some humbuckers. So i ask: are single coil pickups OK for grunge music?

Thanks in advance
yes Kurt used Strats and mustangs (he a Jaguar modded with humbuckers too)
Stuff:
ESP/LTD EC-200QM (with SD Distortions)
1986 Charvel Model 4
2013 Ibanez RG7421WH

Amps
Marshall MS-2 microamp (a POS)
B-52 LG-100a head (Not bad)

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion
Last edited by learningplayer at Jun 18, 2010,
Is there any truth to the notion that a lot of the grunge guys were using high-output DiMarzio single-coils and single-coil sized humbuckers? Or was that really just Billy Corgans thing?
Quote by jpnyc
Is there any truth to the notion that a lot of the grunge guys were using high-output DiMarzio single-coils and single-coil sized humbuckers? Or was that really just Billy Corgans thing?

Most grunge guitarists were playing through humbuckers and using lots of pedals.

Billy Corgan (definitely not a grunge guitarist/songwriter BTW) didn't use DiMarzio's until very recently. During the height of the Pumpkins' career (Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie), he almost exclusively used Strats equipped with Lace Sensors. Specifically, the red-silver-blue sets that are very readily available.
Last edited by CECamps at Jun 18, 2010,