Hi there

i want to play and record on my mac by using garagband but i dont know how to get the best tone by playing with the amp's settings in garageband.

most of them are clean and they are not good for playing rock tones or songs

so i need from the garageband band experts to help me to set my amp setting to get the sound

i am looking for something like eric Johnson tone .... or neil zaza
I mean... take the Marshall looking one or the Mesa looking one and turn the gain up? It's just like a real amplifier except you use your mouse instead of your hands.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
All the heavier amp settings in garageband blow really. They all have way too much noise and fizz that they're not worth using. Get a real practice amp that has a direct out or a pod or something like that. That's what I use and it usually turns out pretty good.
i got way better results by micing my tiny practice amp. all the rock amp settings in rockband are really terrible. micing it wasn't great, but at the time i decided it was good enough.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
This tip comes from 100's of hours spent in Garageband and Logic series -
Use the rock based amps, the ones that are black and have a dirty and fuzzy sound but then double the track.
Use 2 amps in Garageband.
Record what you want on one track, then copy and paste it to another track. Play around with the settings until you get the tone you want.
I usually use 2 totally different amp stacks to get the exact sound I want.
^ really good idea. makes me want to go start screwing around with garageband right now

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
Quote by JJ2003
Use the rock based amps, the ones that are black and have a dirty and fuzzy sound but then double the track.
Record what you want on one track, then copy and paste it to another track. Play around with the settings until you get the tone you want.

sounds weird !!

but i will give it a try .... can i connect my POXT to the audio interface and then connect the audio interface to my Mac ?? i mean the mac will only be for recording and the PODXT will do all the effects part ?? is it OK to do it
Quote by D@rknes
sounds weird !!

but i will give it a try .... can i connect my POXT to the audio interface and then connect the audio interface to my Mac ?? i mean the mac will only be for recording and the PODXT will do all the effects part ?? is it OK to do it

Ya, but make sure you leave the track in garageband clear of all amps, effects. You want to strum your guitar and have a clear acoustic sound. Let the PODXT do the work.
Quote by JJ2003

This is the best advice given. I mean, hell, this is what they do in real studios with real amps to get HUGE guitar sounds.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
This is the best advice given. I mean, hell, this is what they do in real studios with real amps to get HUGE guitar sounds.

Exactly what they do.

Thanks -
For those of you trying this out, a few quick tips ---

With 2 channels try to play with the equalizer. Make one have a bit more bass, while the other more on the treble side. This will let you have a real nice full sound which is great for rhythem guitar especially when you don't have bass accompaniment.

Also, if you want to turn your electric guitar into a bass guitar use a bass amp, turn your guitar tone to its most 'muffled' settings, and on the equalizer turn the bass up. Its not perfect but it does a pretty good job.

Also, use the loop tool in Garageband. One of the funnest things to do is come up with a great riff, loop it, and just play if over and over while you rip / practice ripping solo's on it. I know I do this all the time.
If you don't know how to do this I can post a tutorial about it - I am currently not near my MAC so it would be a few days. I'll attach pictures.

Also --- On UG is there a Garageband guide thats complete and concise? If anyone wants to help me to make one I think it would be great. Despite being a 'bare' minimum program, you can push Garageband to do some very awesome things.
Quote by JJ2003
Also --- On UG is there a Garageband guide thats complete and concise? If anyone wants to help me to make one I think it would be great. Despite being a 'bare' minimum program, you can push Garageband to do some very awesome things.

i'm not sure, but if there was i'd read it. it's been a little over a year since i last tried to use garageband, so i wouldn't be much help in writing anything. but i think it's a great idea.

I luv the garageband software on the mac laptop. I suggest that you try the Stadium Solo selection. Most of the stuff I've recorded in that set up has sounded pretty decent.

ron666
ALSO. to TS, I am recording a song for my friend and for the hell of it I decided to use GB today instead of my amps. Check out the "Poker Face (draft)" in my profile. It's midi with all GB guitars double tracked as someone above suggested. Now I know tone is completely subjective but I think it sounds pretty damn good.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712