(Partly inspired by that John Cage thread)

Captain Beefheart's "Trout Mask Replica" is considered one of the greatest and most influential albums of all time. It recieved a number of positive reviews which sounded like they were negative, using words such as "unlistenable". It was ranked number 58 on Rolling Stones 500 Greatest Albums Of All Time and was produced by the legandary Frank Zappa.

For the eight months leading up to the recording of this album, Beffheart and his Magic Band lived in a small rented house in a suburb of Los Angeles, where the windows were painted black by the Captain. This is where they rehearsed the music on the album. The band members were restricted from leaving the house and practised for 14 or more hours a day. At various times in the house, one of the band members was put "in the barrel", where Beefheart berated them continually, sometimes for days, until the musician collapsed in tears or in total submission to the Captain. The drummer of the band called the environment in the house "Manson-esque".

So what does it sound like? Apparently it drives its influences from blues, jazz, folk, and even sea shanties, although many argue it is totally random sounds. I listened to the album myself and it was ... interesting. Alot of it is hard to listen to, its like its murdering a part of you, although there are also some amazing riffs.

Heres a taster: Pena
And another: Moonlight On Vermont

And heres a random review I found on youtube: Review

So what does the pit think of this album? I know there are a handfull of Beefheart fans on here
There's a "Bands and Artists" forum for a reason you know......
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.