I just bought a Vox Ac4tv combo. It's got a 16 ohm external output. The amp is a 4 watt tube amp. I'm building a 2x10 Cabinet with Celestion G10s. I need the amp to be loud enough to play small hole in the wall gigs at least semi-clean - some mud is okay; basically just loud enough to use with a drummer.

Does anyone have experience with this/know if I will be able to do this without micing the amp? (it's not a problem really if I have to mic the amp... I'd just prefer not to).
Personally I'd rather be able to mic my amp, it gives you more volume control (well, the sound guy gets more volume control) and you get better sound spread. It would be less good for random spur of the moment gigging though. 4 watts will definitely not be enough to get over a drummer. Tube amps are louder, but I have to get my 120W SS amp up to about 5 for volume to keep over our drummer.
As has been said, if you want to play with a drummer you need to mike it up. If you are in a small venue and have no drummer it will pull off a relatively quiet gig by itself. Really, miking it up is the way to go.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
you'll need to mike it up if your playing any gig where people aren't just sitting in front of the stage listening to you or a elevator.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
what kind of music

if you prefer not to mic it, then don't buy it. what happens if the PA is busted one night or or the mixer is set wrong.

i've played the amp but never owned it nor do I gig.

common sense tells me to NEVER rely on mic'ing amps for gigs. Your amp needs to stand on its own because you never know what can happen.

Check out the Night Train and the Egnater Tweaker as well.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
common sense tells me to NEVER rely on mic'ing amps for gigs. Your amp needs to stand on its own because you never know what can happen.

+1

If you carry your own mic and cable you're pretty safe really. What I don't trust is relying on getting a good foldback mix. You can't go drowning out the singer in the monitors. If you're standing in front of a good amp you're covered.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
with my digitech bad monkey setting up all the way, i could play over a drummer easily with my Vox Ac4tv, and it wasn't even up all the way volume wise.
On the 4 watt setting, my AC4TV can get pretty loud, although the overdrive get's kind of muddy (I have a thread about that on here somewhere) on that setting. I don't know if it would be able to be heard over a moderate drummer. Most likely not.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
i would go with at least a 15 watter to play a gig and really expect to sound good.
My AC15 couldn't get over our drummer without getting muddy.
There's something living in these lines.
It depends on alot of things, how loud the amp is is one thing, but his placement will have effect on the perceived volume. If you put your amp higher, on a table or something, you will hear better. It also depends on how loud the rest of the band is, it depends the room you are in etc. 5 watts CAN get over a drummer.
Quote by Sguit
It depends on alot of things, how loud the amp is is one thing, but his placement will have effect on the perceived volume. If you put your amp higher, on a table or something, you will hear better. It also depends on how loud the rest of the band is, it depends the room you are in etc. 5 watts CAN get over a drummer.

But not clean.

Basically the rating on an amp is kind of like how loud they'll go clean, which is one of the many reasons for the existence of supposed "tube watts". A 5 Watt tube will go a lot louder than a 5 Watt Solid State, but only after breaking up.

Now our ears still tolerate small amounts of distortion in a "clean" sound so cleans will be louder with a tube amp anyway.

But the AC4TV has almost no headroom and just isn't loud enough. You could maybe swap the tubes for lower gain ones, but then you'd find it impossible to get dirty tones at bedroom volumes.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
But not clean.

How needs cleans
Cleans are overated
i tried a buddy's 4 watter and i could hardly hear it over the drums, much less anything else. the amp i was using wasn't working, so i had to try his. it didn't work.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/