First post here. I'm in a modern rock cover band and we're actively gigging. For about 60% of our stuff, I play acoustic guitar and electric on the rest. Initially, we started out mostly acoustic, and the times I needed some light distortion (!) I used a pedal on my Crate CA125 Telluride Acoustic Amp. Since adding more electric guitar, I'm starting to think I'd like to replace the amp with something that can do both better, or at least adequately. The Crate is a little weak for distorted electric guitar.

I know, put the acoustic through the PA and get a good tube amp for electric, but I'd rather run the amp for both guitars for stage sound and to use the same pedalboard which has an AB switch so I can switch guitars easily.

So, for the amp, I'm thinking a 50 watt tube amp, probably a 410 or 212 combo. I'd like something with good built-in distortion for modern pop rock/punk songs. Don't need much in the way of effects, maybe just a nice chorus when running the acoustic. Direct out of the amp to the PA would be good for the acoustic, but I would guess miking is better when driving harder on the electric?

Price range is under $1,000, preferably closer to $600. Used is an option. Any suggestions?
Greg
Guitarist, Twisted Nut - CT Modern Rock Cover Band
um... no offense, i'm just going to come right out and say it

electric guitar speakers cannot fully replicate and play back the sound from an acoustic/electric-acoustic

this being said, it really just depends on how good of quality you want the acoustic sounds to be; i have no idea what to suggest, i am simply throwing out a nugget of info to try and help
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
This is a tough call and I am sure you will get tons of recomendations. I honestly think 4x10's would be overkill but I think you could get some decent sounds out of a 2x12 or even 1x12. I would personally recommend the Marshall Haze, fits your budget has some built in effects and will be plenty loud. Now what if you had an A/B switch at the end of your chain and had the acoustic go into the PA and a Electric go into the amp. Essentially what is going to happen is you are going to get a very electric sounding acoustic. Almost an old Jazz box. Good luck with your search, if you have any questions feel free to message me.
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Yeah, maybe I could add another AB switch to select whether I go to amp or PA. Maybe that is the best solution.

Okay, so let's regroup. Recommendations for a basic tube combo amp that is good for modern rock/pop?
Greg
Severall amps come to mind. It is not my style but here is my two cents:

Marshall Haze 40watt, built in effects, 1x12, 600-700 buckaroos

This might be slightly on the blues/rock spectrum but using the gain channels i think this would work. I would also check out a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401. I used to love this amp in my harder rock days. No built in effects outside of reverb but this amp rocks!
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Fender Twin

/thread
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Fender Twin

/thread

i love fender twins but they are way too high wattage for conventional 'giggers'. it is nearly impossible to find a place to get even the slightest tube break up on these. this is the absolute essence of clean but for modern rock i dont think this would suit you well

Quote by thejester
i love fender twins but they are way too high wattage for conventional 'giggers'.

well if he's trying to use both acoustic and elec it makes the most sense to me. or the "twin amp" which switches from 25 to 100 watts. it also has decent gain believe it or not.

but an aby to the pa for the elec/acoustic and amp for the electric.

also - i think the haze is horrible for $600. horrible waste of money imo.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
threadstarter, any luck on an amp?

Still looking. Leaning towards a Blackstar HT 40 or 60 combo. Will run the acoustic direct to PA.
Greg
Quote by TwistedNut
Still looking. Leaning towards a Blackstar HT 40 or 60 combo. Will run the acoustic direct to PA.

That's probably the best route.

I have seen people use the same amp for acoustic and electric...Fender twin, Peavey Classic, etc.
thats great TS. wish you the best of luck and hopefully we helped. one more thing since why not spending money. i great way to really enhance your acoustic sound is by using a DI box. LR Baggs makes a good one and you could probably get a really nice used one for a good price. Check it out down the road, all depends how much acoustic you play. take care

Went with a used Valveking 100 and a Peavey XXX 412 cab. Came away with that and a little Crate practice amp for a couple hundred bucks. thanks for all the suggestions.
Greg
Quote by gregs1020
well if he's trying to use both acoustic and elec it makes the most sense to me. or the "twin amp" which switches from 25 to 100 watts. it also has decent gain believe it or not.

but an aby to the pa for the elec/acoustic and amp for the electric.

also - i think the haze is horrible for $600. horrible waste of money imo.

i am glad to hear that from somebody else's mouth,

i was severely disappointed playing the haze for the first time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/