what i mean by this is, i know that many modeling heads, like the spiders, are dissed for making all guitars sound the same

but how is the vypyr in this category?

also, how is it's tone overall? because from what i've played of it, while perfect it is not (though nothing really is, something is always wrong with anything) i found that the tones i could get out of it were actually pretty sweet considering the price

thoughts and concerns?
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Last edited by Metalmaker at Jun 18, 2010,
Transparent isn't the right word here... but from what I've found, yes, it does respond to different guitars (the Vypyr 75, at least) and seeing as it's the head version of the Tube 120, the flagship Vypyr, it should be pretty great for what it costs. Out of the box it's probably one of the best amps Peavey makes in that price range.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
well, i'm simply looking at one for a few reasons:

1: if retube is needed, it'll only cost about 20-30 US dollars as opposed to 100 or more

2: has all the effects/patches i would need built in

3: has many models of some pretty beast amps, EX: krankenstein, some Diezel amp, 6505

4: My XXX is good, but it would be even more versatile, besides, not even sure i would buy one; i'm debating on the vypyr or an Axe Fx ultra for the long run but the ultra would be very very very 'spensive and somewhat complicated
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
The AxeFX is really a tweaker's amp. If you like to nitpick every single aspect of your tone, then it's for you... if not, then I'd look at the Vypyr and Line 6 Vetta.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Raijouta, simply wish to say, if you read this, regardless of what topic you are posting about i see that you always try to give good, consumer mindful advice, meaning, you know people aren't made of money, and you suggest things accordingly

as far as other rack mount gear, i know Axe isn't the only one, it's just, simply, the best

haven't tried the vetta, but i have a pod xt live, and i've heard the editing is very similar, i will check more into it, maybe a vetta is the way to go, especially since there is an armada of vetta'ers

btw, thanks thus far to everyone
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
run your podxt into the peavey's power amp
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
IMO, the Vypyr tubes sound better than the Vetta, and this is coming from someone who has owned 2 Vettas in the past.

They are not perfect, but for the price you pay, they are excellent sounding amps. The models I ended up liking the most were actually the non-Peavey models, which is odd... since you'd think they'd be able to get their own amps modeled very close. However, the Recto setting, though it doesn't really sound like a Recto at all, has a kickass high gain tone.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well here's my take.
I saw CYNIC live last week and they had this incredible sound guitar wise and all around

But then I noticed they had absolutely NO cabinets on the stage.

Yup thats right Fractals Axe FX all the way,though I did see a Roland VG 88 and a TC G force as well.Thanks to Paul Masvidal for lettin' me check it out.

If I ever need a go everywhere solution the Axe FX is IT!
Not very transparent, different guitars sound different but its still amp modelling
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Like Raijouta said, I don't think transparent is the right word to use. I've only played the Vypyr 60 but a 120 head on top of a decent 212 cab sounds like win to me. I liked all the amp models on that thing and it is a lot of value for the money as stated. I've not played a Vetta nor an AxeFX. If you do go the Peavey route make sure you get the Sanpera II footswitch to get the most out of the amp. Good luck.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
People seem to think the Axe FX is the only rack guitar processor now.

As a rack that actually emulates a circuit rather than a sound, its far superior to other modellers.

I think this the question raised is does not address the issue at hand. Yes the other rack processors are cheaper, but if he wants to get it as a long run consideration, why settle for something, assuming that the AxeFX will be the end all for his tonal needs (assuming he uses it for a long time).

Better to get the gear he wants than to get low level substitutes that will end up as stop gaps.

If I had kept saving money for my Mesa instead of getting modeling amps and software modelers to achieve the tone and feel... I'd have enough money to also own an ENGL SE and a Fryette Sig X in addition to my MkV today.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.