Page 1 of 2
scored a mojotone 5e3 off craiglist for $250. i like to spend a very small amount on the actual amp, and a shitton on the guitar. i don't think it's hurting my tone all that much.

it has 3 knobs and 2 of them are volumes? if you add those up, this amp goes to 24!

i don't do reviews.

i was testing the strat with lollars so i switched around a bit to show you what tones the guitar and amp were capable of. at one point i obviously forgot what song i was strumming.

i used a tech 21 rvb boost reverb pedal, and a tuner.
EDIT: the following link is an audio clip.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gregs1020/music/all/play853752

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 18, 2010,
Cleans sound great.

HNAD

Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
everyone. yea this was a stupid deal, and a nice replacement to the 63 vibroverb ri i sold recently

Quote by 09phillt
still think acoustic mirrors DIEZEL is better!

diezel makes a Tweed? i wasn't aware.

and the diezel footswitch has more controls than this amp. hell, my strat has more controls than this amp.

more knobs =/= more tone.

yes i am completely messing around with you.
Love the old tweed amps.

well, i just love the look of tweed amps. tweed is very stylish. (doesn't sound half bad either)
Quote by AcousticMirror
where's the overdrive button?

on the burst pedal you will probably never send me since you tried it.

also wanna pop that g12h in here for a run so hurry up.
Quote by 09phillt
still think acoustic mirrors DIEZEL is better!

Since when does he have a Diezel?

HNAD man, great deal! Saw you post it on Brett's FB yesterday
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by MatrixClaw

yea i can't believe it. it has some hum/noise on the normal channel but i'm getting it tweaked later today. my tech is slow and i'm going by there so...

i've integrated it into my downsized rig that is only missing two (hundred ) pedals and one guitar. an eternity burst and a good aby. the guitar should be done in a week.

and i obviously need a complete cable overhaul. i may take care of that today.
Quote by mr_hankey
^That's not your whole rig, is it?

pretty much. got a couple things coming but yea. that's going to be it.

give me a tone, i'll record it.

still have a couple amps to sell. the 1987 head and studio 15. should clear a fair amount selling those. not sure what i'll do with that cash. paint the condo, go to florida, dunno.

hehe. we both own acousticmirror.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Last edited by ECistheBest at Jun 18, 2010,
Quote by ECistheBest

hehe. we both own acousticmirror.

hey did you shellac yours? i can't tell from the pics. i'm thinking i may do that. it supposed to make the tweed more durable and last longer. i think it looks great too that way, more vintage.
^yeah, lacquer looks real nice. i've read that it's the guitar players who started doing it, not fender.

i got the cabinet lacquer finished by mojo. they helped me out quite a bit making this cab haha.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by gregs1020
pretty much. got a couple things coming but yea. that's going to be it.

give me a tone, i'll record it.

still have a couple amps to sell. the 1987 head and studio 15. should clear a fair amount selling those. not sure what i'll do with that cash. paint the condo, go to florida, dunno.

I imagined you having a huge stockpile of gear, like Min. I know I would, if I found deals like you seem to do.
Quote by ECistheBest
^yeah, lacquer looks real nice. i've read that it's the guitar players who started doing it, not fender.

i got the cabinet lacquer finished by mojo. they helped me out quite a bit making this cab haha.

so yours is mojo equipted too?
i'm going to do the lacquer. i really like how that looks.

Quote by mr_hankey
I imagined you having a huge stockpile of gear, like Min. I know I would, if I found deals like you seem to do.

well i did at one point. i was up to 12 guitars and 6 amps. not that that is a lot but it was a lot for me. so i re-sized. sold off stuff usually at a nice profit and just re-uped into better quality gear. the strat is a mij 62 ri with lollars, the mccarty has custom underwound nailbombs. the tweaker is a cheap GC amp that just works if you dial it in, greeny in the ppc112. and with the left over money i paid for a 25th anny 513 ten top. that will be done next week according to prs so a couple pedals and i'm good. if i find a 15 watter with better gain than the tweaker i'll buy it. that's hard to imagine but the trans atlantic may work. i will be trying that one as soon as i am in the same room with one.
^when i read about the tweed lacquer coating, it was like... mixing shellac and something else in a bucket, then painting ur cab with it with a brush or something. i'm not much of a painter as you know, so i said hey mojo can u do it for mee?

so ya. mine's mojo just for the cab. speaker is weber blue dog for now, and amp is made by myself.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
yea you did a nice job on yours, that wiring is pristine.

i'm ok with painting, this should be 2 coats, let it dry completely and sha-boom. any flaws would just be my own signature. it's a great sounding amp but i thought that before i've changed speakers in the past.
nice! that sounds great. how much clean headroom does it have? how does it like the reverb pedal into the front?

I'm kinda trying to figure out whether i want to get a fendery amp, and if so which type of one to get- so far i think i prefer blackface cleans but tweed drive, but the cleans on that sound pretty good (and i can get a tweed clone for an awful lot less than a blackface clone).

EDIT: inb4 "but you already got the vht"
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gregs1020
yea you did a nice job on yours, that wiring is pristine.

i'm ok with painting, this should be 2 coats, let it dry completely and sha-boom. any flaws would just be my own signature. it's a great sounding amp but i thought that before i've changed speakers in the past.

ya basically if u **** up somewhere it's ur own unique signature.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
For only paying $250, that's one awesome little amp!

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Quote by Dave_Mc
nice! that sounds great. how much clean headroom does it have? how does it like the reverb pedal into the front?

I'm kinda trying to figure out whether i want to get a fendery amp, and if so which type of one to get- so far i think i prefer blackface cleans but tweed drive, but the cleans on that sound pretty good (and i can get a tweed clone for an awful lot less than a blackface clone).

EDIT: inb4 "but you already got the vht"

lol.

i need to give a good test run. im getting i checked over by my local guy today. im guessing it will be next week but i will let you know. initially id say it has a little more mids than the blackfaces ive played. it really likes an od pedal, thats for sure. the reverb sounded fine to me out front. although i didnt try verb and od at the same time, which is usually when things get wacky for me.

ill let you know about headroom and where it breaks up on the knobby.
yeah, same here (reverb/delay out front with amp distortion)

thanks
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well i dropped it off to be checked over yesterday to my tech.

we got a good chance to push it a bit louder than i can at my condo. on about 4/12 digging in hard, it sounded like james gang stuff. lite break up. picking clean, it stayed clean.

this could have easily held with a classic rock drummer at 4/12 with nice picking dynamics. very articulate amp is my opinion. like the plexi, it doesn't hide anything you do wrong which is good for me. when i'm seriously playing i like to be spot on.
you should add another tube to it. i think there's a guide for how to do that. maybe increase the wattage by taping some more tubes to the back.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
you should add another tube to it. i think there's a guide for how to do that. maybe increase the wattage by taping some more tubes to the back.

wouldn't a tube directly through the speaker lose the least amount of tone?
i love amps that don't hide anything you play. articulate amps are best.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Looks sweet!

Now pull the chassis and mail it to me. I want to take it apart.
when you say "hang with a classic rock drummer" do you mean clean or distorted?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
How well do you like the tweaker? I'm thinking about picking one up.
Blue Red Yellow Green
I like how I'm gone for 2 months and Greg became a *****.
Page 1 of 2