No
65 25%
Voters: 256.
Page 1 of 3
Quote by FlyingPirahna
Very, very slowly.

This.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
I can but I haven't had to in a very long time, at least not sight-reading or anything. I know my way around a stave though, for sure.
I can, fairly well. I can only attribute it to piano playing though. I know absolutely no guitar theory.
I played trombone in high school, but I probably couldn't read a lick now.
Yes. Well, I can for piano anyway. Guitar has so many different tuning possibilities I never saw the use.
🙈 🙉 🙊
I'm pretty slow, but yes.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Yes, but not well. I wish I could sight read for guitar aswell with music notation, that would be really handy.
Decently. I can't sight read on any instruments, but I can analyze sheet music at a decent pace for theory.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ The aeroplane
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ flies high, turns
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ left, looks right.
I can read it, and I understand it, but I'm having issues with the whole "look at it, know what it sounds like straight away" aspect. I'm working on it.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Yup, only bass clef though. And I can't sightread well at all.
Yeah, although reading chords at a quick tempo can get stressful.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Quote by mtshark
Bass cleft yes, treble cleft no.

I'm kind of the opposite; treble clef I don't even have to think about now wheras with bass clef I sometimes have to think twice, especially if said note is on a line and not on a space.

Any flat notes that occur on a bass clef, I am very, very slow in figuring them out.

need more practice.
Quote by FlyingPirahna
Very, very slowly.
This.

I understand it, it's just that I never use it, so I've never became experienced in reading it.
Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yes. Quite well for piano and clarinet, but I can't read guitar music.

um, sheet music is sheet music, they don't make different sheets for the guitar (aside from tab, which is generally considered much much easier than sheet music)
i never learned ALL of the notes on guitar. i can look at them and figure out in like 2 seconds, but if you name a note and a string i could figure out what fret it was instantly. so this kinda takes the point out of sheet music, so i just use tabs. tabs are more common and easier anyways. i mean its not like youll find sheet music for tornado of souls
Quote by z4twenny
um, sheet music is sheet music, they don't make different sheets for the guitar (aside from tab, which is generally considered much much easier than sheet music)

I don't know why but reading tabs give me a headache...I much prefer sheet music
Quote by z4twenny

Yeah I know, what I mean is I can read the music, but I sure as hell won't be able to play it on guitar.

I'll be all like "That's a middle C, there's a Dm chord," but I'll have no idea where on the fingerboard to play those specific notes/chords.
MATTERHORN
Yeah, but I can't sight read to save my life.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by justaramsfan
I don't know why but reading tabs give me a headache...I much prefer sheet music

Depends entirely on of the style of guitar that you're playing. Would you prefer a section like this in sheet music form? I don't think so man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANrOy5woLBE

Tabs are designed for guitar players, sheet music primarily for classical musicians and composers.
Quote by rickyj
i never learned ALL of the notes on guitar. i can look at them and figure out in like 2 seconds, but if you name a note and a string i could figure out what fret it was instantly. so this kinda takes the point out of sheet music, so i just use tabs. tabs are more common and easier anyways. i mean its not like youll find sheet music for tornado of souls

download the guitar pro file and select the sheet music button?
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
i can read at a fair pace (wouldn't really call it sight-reading, though) for treble and bass clef. alto clef i need to stop and think, but that's because i don't use it unless i'm writing for viola.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by Echohead
Depends entirely on of the style of guitar that you're playing. Would you prefer a section like this in sheet music form? I don't think so man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANrOy5woLBE

Hmm...probably not, but I'd still prefer to have the sheet music so I could notate my own fingerings. I hate how tabs can't tell you rhythm, and they're hard to follow along with...not to mention having to waste my time looking at my guitar to find a fret #

And, let's be honest, I'd rarely ever need to play that

EDIT: Sheet music is for musicians...tabs are for shortcuts (in my opinion)
Last edited by justaramsfan at Jun 18, 2010,
I can read bass clef as if my life depended on it. Treble clef though, it'll take me a little longer but I can get it.

EDIT:
Quote by z4twenny

It's funny you say that, because Clarinet reads in key of Bb, while guitar reads in C.

Consider yourself pwnt.
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Last edited by Rojam at Jun 18, 2010,
Quote by justaramsfan
Hmm...probably not, but I'd still prefer to have the sheet music so I could notate my own fingerings. I hate how tabs can't tell you rhythm, and they're hard to follow along with...not to mention having to waste my time looking at my guitar to find a fret #

And, let's be honest, I'd rarely ever need to play that

Reading the rhythm for something like that with sheet music would only most likely make matters worse, is what I'm saying. Tabs were originally designed for the guitar, so why would you want to use sheet-music instead? You know, for a guitar piece.
I can read it for guitar, and Im working on it for keyboards.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Treble clef - slowly
Bass clef - no
Once fixed a toilet with an old trombone...
I can't sight read given that I haven't had occasion to read music in about 3 years, but I can still read it. I'd imagine it'd take me ages now
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Yes, but slowly, because I'm not used to read it anymore. I learned how to read like 10 years ago when I was playing flute at school and keyboard at home.
Quote by Echohead
Reading the rhythm for something like that with sheet music would only most likely make matters worse, is what I'm saying. Tabs were originally designed for the guitar, so why would you want to use sheet-music instead?

Tabs are just a cluster of numbers...maybe it's just me, but I can WAY more easily play a scale when the notes are thrown in front of me, then just a bunch of 1/3/0/2/4. It just takes me longer, I have to count frets, feel my own rhythm, follow the lines to know when I skip to another string, etc...it's just annoying--and in my opinion, tab's were designed to give guitar players a shortcut so they wouldn't have to learn to read music
i can read treble and bass clef with no problem =] and for everyone else, sight reading isn't hard. you just gotta start with the slow easy music and work up to harder stuff
I can tell you the name of any note on the staff as well as how long to hold it for and just about every other piece of information one could grasp from the sheet music. Ask me to translate it to the guitar and i have a problem.
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
Hmm... seems the thread has been taken over by a swimming pool filled with sperm.

Quote by iantheman
Whenever I run out of tissues, I get worried that I'll be caught hopping through the hallway with my pants around my knees, a dying erection, and a fist full of semen.
Page 1 of 3