What kind of scales do bands like ensiferum, turisas, korpiklaani. . . ect.
use?
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
No special scales really - aeolian a lot. You have to understand that music is about much more than just scales.
Quote by Slayertplsko
No special scales really - natural minor a lot. You have to understand that music is about much more than just scales.

Fix'd

Aeolian is a mode, whole different ball game than just major/minor sales.

Other than that, you're correct.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Slayertplsko
You have to understand that music is about much more than just scales.

+1
Quote by rockingamer2
Fix'd

Aeolian is a mode, whole different ball game than just major/minor sales.

What is wrong with Aeolian mode?
Quote by Slayertplsko
What is wrong with Aeolian mode?

Because, modes aren't used in folk music. The minor scale is. There is a fundamental difference. You're on the right track, just lacking the correct semantics.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by hockeyplayer168
Because, modes aren't used in folk music. The minor scale is. There is a fundamental difference. You're on the right track, just lacking the correct semantics.

what about scarborough fair? that's clearly in dorian.

either way, he's right. the aeolian mode is vastly different from the natural minor scale. the only similarity they share is that they have the same notes.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
what about scarborough fair? that's clearly in dorian.

either way, he's right. the aeolian mode is vastly different from the natural minor scale. the only similarity they share is that they have the same notes.

Okay Mr. Picky..
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw

Quote by Slayertplsko
And the difference is....???

that one is tonal and one is modal. that's really all there is to it. the vast majority of minor music is in a minor key. it's fairly rare that you'll actually see a composition in the aeolian mode, especially in modern times.

in fact, as far as i know, there have been no compositions in the aeolian mode since the development of tonal music. there have probably been a few, but i haven't heard any.
Quote by AeolianWolf
that one is tonal and one is modal.

What does that mean?

Quote by AeolianWolf
in fact, as far as i know, there have been no compositions in the aeolian mode since the development of tonal music. there have probably been a few, but i haven't heard any.

1, What about Sibelius' symphony in d minor, which is, in fact, in D dorian (most of it)? Just search for the third movement.

2, You say that ''folk music'' isn't modal. Isn't such generalization, well, too bold? Much of very old Slovak folk music is in Phrygian, some later songs are (I believe, but would have to re-research it) in Mixolydian, the newer ones are in Aeolian and those from the Polish borders are in Lydian. I'm from Slovakia so that's why I mention it.

I've also heard a lot of, probably English, folk music in Dorian (much more often than in any other mode).
Quote by Slayertplsko
What does that mean?

1, What about Sibelius' symphony in d minor, which is, in fact, in D dorian (most of it)? Just search for the third movement.

2, You say that ''folk music'' isn't modal. Isn't such generalization, well, too bold? Much of very old Slovak folk music is in Phrygian, some later songs are (I believe, but would have to re-research it) in Mixolydian, the newer ones are in Aeolian and those from the Polish borders are in Lydian. I'm from Slovakia so that's why I mention it.

I've also heard a lot of, probably English, folk music in Dorian (much more often than in any other mode).

I had a feeling that the bands TS listed have folk elements in their sound (I only looked up korpiklaani) and that they were metal, so it was a safe bet to say that a mode wasn't being used in their songs.

But yes, folk music does incorporate modes more than other genres of music.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Slayertplsko

1) i didn't say there was "no modal music". i said that you're not going to find much written in the aeolian mode. i don't think i need to tell you that the aeolian mode and the dorian mode are separate entities, so i really don't see how your point is even relevant.

2) i said no such thing. in fact, folk music is more likely to be modal than modern music, because a lot of it was developed before there was a modern key system. i'd doubt that the newer ones are in aeolian -- they're probably in a minor key. but i'm not slovak, and i don't listen to slovak folk music, so i couldn't tell you for certain.

3) like i said, scarborough fair.

i'm surprised that you can't distinguish between tonal and modal music, yet you can discern when music is modal. that doesn't make sense.
Quote by AeolianWolf
1)i'm surprised that you can't distinguish between tonal and modal music, yet you can discern when music is modal. that doesn't make sense.

perhaps different ears... my best guess... moroccan stuff as well... thats tonal to them i guess.... same with indian stuff... not the teepee stuff... ah well... different ears is what it boils down to i guess
Quote by AeolianWolf
i said no such thing.

It was me...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw

Quote by Slayertplsko
Well, if it's in D minor, it can't also be in D dorian, can it?

P.S. The answer is no.

A song can't be in two different keys/modes at the same time (unless you're talking polytonality), nor can a song be both modal and tonal at the same time, let alone in a key and a mode at the same time.

If it were "Sibelius' Symphony in D Dorian" you would be correct. But it's not. It's "Sibelius' Symphony in D minor." The title itself prove that it's not in D dorian, but rather D minor. Unless of course the title is misleading and it's actually not in D minor at all.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jun 18, 2010,
Quote by food1010
If it were "Sibelius' Symphony in D Dorian" you would be correct. But it's not. It's "Sibelius' Symphony in D minor." The title itself prove that it's not in D dorian, but rather D minor. Unless of course the title is misleading and it's actually not in D minor at all.

it's weird, because that last sentence is actually the case. it's described as being in D minor, but it actually is in D dorian. apparently there was no indication of key on the original score. and yet it's called "symphony no. 6 in D minor". i'm willing to chalk it up as a simple misnomer.
Quote by AeolianWolf
it's weird, because that last sentence is actually the case. it's described as being in D minor, but it actually is in D dorian. apparently there was no indication of key on the original score. and yet it's called "symphony no. 6 in D minor". i'm willing to chalk it up as a simple misnomer.
Hm, that's interesting. A simple misnomer seems very likely.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea